Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsyloxy
Stranger
Re: My Jars Hate Me!
    #283767 - 04/02/01 03:09 PM (23 years, 1 day ago)

looks like they want gas exchange... mycelial growth produces CO2, which inhibits further growing if it is not
replaced with fresh oxygen containing air...

--psyloxy--

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: My Jars Hate Me!
    #284265 - 04/02/01 03:52 PM (23 years, 23 hours ago)

Shake your jars again. Loosen the lids on your jars a very little bit. Just enough to allow a little gas exchange. If you see some growth that is better than none. Shake the jars like there is no tommorow, and wait and see.

Offlinejman69er
journeyman
Re: My Jars Hate Me! [Re: ]
    #284324 - 04/02/01 05:26 PM (23 years, 22 hours ago)

So the pressure in the jars are definatly from growth or from something else?

Anonymous

Re: My Jars Hate Me! [Re: jman69er]
    #284369 - 04/02/01 06:46 PM (23 years, 20 hours ago)

Idealy you want to use micro- filters, but since we aren't using them you want a little gas exchange, loosen the lids. Nothing likes to grow in stagnant air, except contamination. I told you to shake the jars to try and spread the mycelium to this uncolonized section of the jar. I think this will solve most of the slow colonization problem. If they are contaminated with anything other than bacteria, you will see for sure. Bacteria will also be seen, but if you had bacterial contamination, everything would appear wet, slimy not dry. Usually it is just dry pockets in the substrate, shake em if it's possible.

By the way what is your Temperature in the house you are trying this in, not the heated container, but your home?

Offlinejman69er
journeyman
Re: My Jars Hate Me! [Re: ]
    #284438 - 04/02/01 08:37 PM (23 years, 19 hours ago)

House temp is anywhere from 60-70. The brf and verm mixed in with the birdseed are not going to allow me to shake anything unless maybe I take them to the hardware store and use a paint shaker. I just cant figure it out unless it has to do with my temps. I cannot see one sign of contams and they do not smell bad. Actually I just opened up a couple and the have the smell that my last good batch of B+ gave off but I just cannot see any mycel except for 2-3 of the TH and one TH has about 10% but that is it. I peeled the tape back on each one and let the air out and almost all shot out a couple drops of water. Does this mean the are all right or what?
Is it true that if I did not boil them long enough the seed will not work properly, that does not seem like it would cause this.

Edited by jman69er on 04/02/01 10:40 PM.

Anonymous

Re: My Jars Hate Me! [Re: jman69er]
    #284467 - 04/02/01 09:17 PM (23 years, 18 hours ago)

Personally, I never just boil. I use a pressure cooker to sterilize ryegrain. I germinate my spores on Malt agar in a petri dish. After several consequitive transfers, I wind up with a pure strain. I use this to inoculate my jars. This extra step allows me to eliminate much of the problem your having. Sometimes it can take a long time for a multispore germination to colonize your substrate. It works, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. I don't use the flour, for the reason you stated, it can't be shaken easily. Just shaking my jars probably speeds up colonization exponentialy. From agar to complete colonization at most it's 14 days. From spore print, to agar, to Rye it's a minumum of 5 days, and a maximum of 25 if your really obssesive about selecting out different pure strains. If I were you I would wait it out, it probably is just gonna take time. As far as your pressure problem, I have never seen this before.
You may want to invest in a small pressure cooker. If you really like this hobby, it's the best investment you can make.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate