Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: What religion are you [Re: psikooz]
    #2805184 - 06/18/04 10:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I believe in a power higher than myself, and that it has a specific plan for me.

Just for you or for all humans? So a stillborn baby's plan was, er, um stillborn, I guess. No, wait! It was to teach the parents about the cruelty of life. Yeah, that's it!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What religion are you [Re: Swami]
    #2805190 - 06/18/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I believe in a power higher than myself, and that it has a specific plan for me.

Just for you or for all humans? So a stillborn baby's plan was, er, um stillborn, I guess. No, wait! It was to teach the parents about the cruelty of life. Yeah, that's it!

Take out the sarcasm and that statement could still be true.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: What religion are you [Re: silversoul7]
    #2805211 - 06/18/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When one makes up the rules (and then adds to or changes them depending on circumstance) for a totally unprovable belief system, then a delusional mind could call it "true".

I could come up with an equally implausible "theory" that cannot be disproven, but so what?

Science has validity because it offers the ability to predict. The "God's plan" type of belief system offers no insight into how the world works. It also fails on the "ability to deal with hardships" level. Those that believe in God's plan grieve over the loss of a child in the same fashion and depth as those that don't.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2805223 - 06/18/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't believe in any sort of divine plan either, but as you said, it can't be disproven.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2805226 - 06/18/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

A property of being vague and undisprovable does not equate to any sort of validity or even likelihood of possibility.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2805354 - 06/18/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Science has validity because it offers the ability to predict.

I would say that science has validity because it allows us to build things that work. While religion only speaks of miracles, science performs them. Why people have more faith in a God that does nothing for them than a method that does everything for them, I will never ubderstand.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: What religion are you [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2805496 - 06/18/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I would say that science has validity because it allows us to build things that work.

That is, in essence, the same thing. Building a computer would be impossible without being able to predict how the circuits would react with a given set of inputs and how much power would be required, etc.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2805507 - 06/18/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yeah its the same thing, I just like to frame things in terms of (obvious) gains.

Invisibleilus
Bred in Captivity
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the bend.
Re: What religion are you [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2806126 - 06/18/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Personally, I have my own sort of religion. A major basis of it is off of buddhism though, I am a firm believer in karma through personal experience as well as certain parts of re-incarnation. I don't think that each life is connected to the previous one when you are reincarnated, which is something that buddhists believe as far as I know. I've never really researched it too much. I personally do not think that there is a "god" as a being, more of as an energy that keeps everything in balance. I don't know, my beliefs are changing, I'm sure in 10 years it will be something completely different. :smile:

--------------------
Message me for Mushroom Tinctures
Lion's Mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Shiitake / Extracts / CBD Isolate, Oil
----
My Art, Design, Sculpture & Music:  http://www.conceptflow.org

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2806159 - 06/18/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I havent read all the replys...
has anyone posted discordanism?

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Invisiblequeenannie
Stranger

Loc: third stoned from the sun
    #2806244 - 06/18/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Why does everyone these days seem to want some kind of proof of a belief system?  That is an oxymoron concept if I've ever heard one.  The nature of a "belief" system is subjective, never objective, if one is talking about a higher power.  The definition of faith is believing in something which can't be proven.

I can see that the bullshit in this world can make a cynic and doubter out of anyone.  But once that first step of "believing" in something is taken (kind of like the first time you trust all your weight to a rappelling rope and brake), then it's a breeze.  Just the act of believing in something which your heart says is right begins its manifestation in your life.  Then the crap of the world is impotent.  But, I realize it's a catch-22, without the shield from the world's influence, it's awfully hard to believe in anything.

The thing is, religion and the "Christian" church has really soured a lot of people's attitudes, in just the same manner as the other worldly systems in general.  The things they tell you in church don't make sense, don't seem to help anything at all, complicate matters in your heart, and hurt your feelings.

The best thing I ever did was quit going to church.  I am too intelligent to be handed a worm like a baby bird and be willing to swallow the wriggly SOB whole.  I must dissect.  When I did, I found it wasn't a worm at all!  It was quite tasty, whatever it was.  And now it's all mine, and it's most effective in ways that church dogma and doctrine could never be.

BTW  I consider myself a Buddhist Jesus Freak of no affiliation, with a strong fondness for certain rastafarian practices.  The three commandments for me:
Love the (supreme being) with all your heart, soul, and mind.
Love your neighbor as yourself (and try to demonstrate same)
Mind your own spiritual business (no judging, preaching, converting, or soul-saving)

I believe the validity of the collective consciousness, quantum physics/alchemy, astrology, meditation, religious individualism, reincarnation, and enlightenment.
I believe religion is politics, the dark end of the spectrum opposite of enlightenment, and that there are going to be a whole hell of a lot of surprised holy-rollers someday soon.  I don't mean that as a judgment, I just think a lot of people have been misled intentionally and unintentionally by listening to the mouth of man :devil: instead of the word of the heart :iloveyou:

--------------------
Jesus is coming...everyone look busy!

(You may think I'm kidding--but I'm not!)

:shrug:

Invisiblequeenannie
Stranger

Loc: third stoned from the sun
Re: What religion are you [Re: queenannie]
    #2806269 - 06/18/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I did not mean "religious individualism", I meant "spiritual individualism"
My bad.

--------------------
Jesus is coming...everyone look busy!

(You may think I'm kidding--but I'm not!)

:shrug:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: What religion are you [Re: queenannie]
    #2807168 - 06/18/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

But once that first step of "believing" in something is taken (kind of like the first time you trust all your weight to a rappelling rope and brake), then it's a breeze.

I see, you mean like this man:

MOUNT RAINIER, Wash. -- June 4, 2004

A climber loses his life on Mount Rainier, leaving behind a wife and four children.

This is the second death on the mountain in the Liberty Ridge area in just three weeks.

Bellevue firefighter Mark Anderson made it safely to a rescue helicopter, but his climbing partner, Auburn Fire Department Capt. Jon Cahill died after a fall on Mount Rainier.

Climber Alan Hartman called to get help for Anderson and Cahill, setting off a frantic rescue effort.

"We had a climber fall he's injured his back. He had a head injury and then a possible broken arm," the caller said.

Cahill fell 200 feet. He was 11,300 feet up the mountain in the Liberty Ridge area when the accident happened.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2807225 - 06/18/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You should never believe in anything you haven't had personal experience with.

OfflineNickatina
journeyman
Male
Loc: Bay Area, California.
    #2809543 - 06/19/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I believe there is somekinda of higher power but what it is I dont know..

--------------------
"Make the most of the hemp seed, Sow it everywhere" -George Washington

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
    #2809729 - 06/19/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

God is my religion. God is what all religions have in common but some religions are just plain misguided.

Buddhism is the most pure religion in my oppinion also shamanism is cool
so Buddhism is my choice but i truly beleive in myself.

But Most religions are based on greed. They think only they can go to "so called heaven" but the beautiful place is for all of us... some of us just get their later.

remember religion is meant to bring us together if it doesnt, than its wrong.

Science is good but its dedicated to physical, religion is dedicated to spiritual. All matter is just an illusion (physical manifestations).

One thing science can do is make you a good person, being a good person is more important than anything science can bestow you!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Edited by OOISI (06/19/04 09:07 PM)

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2810090 - 06/19/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

No religion. If I had to choose a philosophy for life, it would most likely be Buddhism... but definately no organized "religion."

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: What religion are you [Re: daba]
    #2810197 - 06/20/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Buddhism is a very fine religion. I was at one time in my life in love with Zen, but it is an organized religion. Examine Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: What religion are you [Re: BleaK]
    #2810280 - 06/20/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BleaK said:
I havent read all the replys...
has anyone posted discordanism?

Well, I posted about The Church of the Subgenius, which has been described as "a mutant offshoot of Discordianism", but not Discordianism per se. However, I am, if anything, flexible! Hail Eris! :biggrin:

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
    #2810751 - 06/20/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have my own little religion, call it a speculative theory of metaphysics if you will. I believe that there is "something else", but I make no claim to knowledge of this and reject any claims to knowledge about any properties this thing may or may not have.

There are lots of little reasons why I believe in something else, but the only big one is drugs and consciousness. From my point of view, some of the mental states acheivable with drugs are irreconcilable with a materialist stance - they seem to be so unrelated to matter, of a completely different order. My hypothetical entity could explain this. Remember, at no point am I offering a proof of this system, I am merely giving my evidence for it, which is sufficient to create beliefs for me.

I don't believe that the entity/substance/whatever judges. This is because I am a moral subjectivist. My reasons for being a moral subjectivist are too long to fit in this post, but they resemble the usual criticisms of moral cognitivism. If moral subjectivism is true, as I hold it to be, then good and bad do not exist in any tangible form. This would mean that, for the entity to judge, it would need to "know" about something that doesn't exist on our world, which would be unlikely to say the least.

As for an afterlife, there are two realistic possibilities that I have considered. One is reincarnation, and the other is existence of a totally different order than our current one - probably as part of this entity or otherwise to do with it. I would tend to go for the latter.

My problem with reincarnation is that it brings up infinite regress. Although it is possible that the material world was "always there", it seems counter-intuitive that time is infinite, because where there is time there is change and causality, which requires something before. It would make more sense to me for our universe to have been created from/by something which is outside time and space. This is just a hunch however, and as I stated before, I make no claims to knowledge.

I am somewhat deterministic, but I don't believe that this hampers my free will. I believe in time as a dimension, and so my future is already there. However, until it gets here I have no idea what it is, so I will do what I think I should do and it is a realistic enough illusion of free will for me.

And finally, my meaning of life. I don't like this phrase, because it suggests that life has to have a stated purpose. There is a continuum from simplicity to complexity in the universe, ie things started off as hydrogen and helium, and became life. So, it seems to me that whatever life is actually FOR, is the same question as what the universe is for, which would be answered by the entity, and I don't think we're placed to even attempt to speculate on that.

However, I have a perfectly functioning reason to live. I will live because I am happy, and if I am not happy, I know from experience that happiness is achievable, and therefore I will strive for it.

And to round off - logic holds true throughout the universe. Nothing defies logic, if you think it does, you're using it wrong. Logic may not be able to explain everything but it can reliably tell us what is false.

That was quite fun, I don't think I've ever set all of my beliefs out in front of me. If anyone can find any inconsistencies in all that, please point them out.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom