Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
Take responsibility for operating your brain
    #2771983 - 06/07/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"Your mind is constantly projecting - projecting itself. Your mind is constantly interfering with reality, giving it a color, shape and form which is not its own. Your mind never allows you to see that which is; it allows you to see only that which it wants to see.

Just twenty years ago, scientists used to think that our eyes, ears, nose and our other senses, and the mind, were nothing but openings to reality, bridges to reality. But within twenty years ― the last twenty years ― the whole understanding has changed. Now they say our senses and the mind are not really openings to reality but guards against it. Only two percent of reality ever gets through these guards into you; ninety-eight percent of reality is kept outside. And the two percent that reaches you and your being is no longer the same; it has to pass through so many barriers, it has to conform to so many mind things, that by the time it reaches you it is no longer itself.

Meditation means putting the mind aside so that it no longer interferes with reality and you can see things as they are. Why does the mind interfere at all? ― because the mind is created by society. It is society's agent within you; it is not in your service, remember! It is your mind but it is not in your service; it is in a conspiracy against you. It has been conditioned by society; society has implanted many things in it. It is your mind, but it no longer functions as a servant to you; it functions as a servant to society.

If you are a Christian then it functions as an agent of the Christian church, if you are a Hindu then your mind is Hindu, if you are a Buddhist your mind is Buddhist. And reality is neither Christian nor Hindu nor Buddhist; reality is simply as it is. And you have to put these minds aside: the communist mind, the fascist mind, the Catholic mind, the Protestant mind....

There are three thousand religions on the earth ― big religions and small religions and very small sects and sects within sects ― three thousand in all. So there exist three thousand minds, types of mind ― and reality is one, and God is one, and truth is one! Meditation means: put the mind aside and watch. The first step ― love yourself ― will help you tremendously. By loving yourself you will have destroyed much that society has implanted within you. You will have become freer from the society and its conditioning.

And the second step is: watch ― just watch. Buddha does not say what has to be watched ― everything! Walking, watch your walking. Eating, watch your eating. Taking a shower, watch the water, the cold water falling on you, the touch of the water, the coldness, the shiver that goes through your spine ― watch everything, today, tomorrow, always.

A moment finally comes when you can watch even your sleep. That is the ultimate in watching. The body goes to sleep and there is still a watcher awake, silently watching the body fast asleep. That is the ultimate in watching. Right now just the opposite is the case: your body is awake but you are asleep. Then you will be awake and your body will be asleep. The body needs rest but your consciousness needs no sleep. Your consciousness is consciousness; it is alertness, that is its very nature."

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: sensi]
    #2772167 - 06/07/04 03:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I feel the idea of this . I have read some articles about mushrooms that say that the way the mushroom works is by dissolving the filters in our brain that filter the information and allow us for a few hours to have a more complete view of reality.

It could be useful from time to time, but it is VERY overwhelming to be like this all the time.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2772174 - 06/07/04 03:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Your mind is constantly interfering with reality, giving it a color, shape and form which is not its own. Your mind never allows you to see that which is; it allows you to see only that which it wants to see.

When the rabid doberman lunges at your throat, just watch; do not judge. Do not replay mental tapes of other dogs that you have seen attacking you in the past and preclude the "real" reality with your fearful though-forms. Witness the beauty of the animal. Notice the shimmering, irridescent colors of his coat. Note the way the saliva drips on to the emerald green grass. Listen to the rich harmonics of his throaty growl. Smell his hot fetid breath before his fangs sink into your tender flesh. Do NOT call those sharp sensations racing to your brain "pain". Watch as you gasp your last breath. Look at the fluffy cirro-cumulous clouds. Feel the stickiness of your life-blood as it drains into the dark rich earth.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineGeeno
Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: Swami]
    #2772184 - 06/07/04 03:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you always have to shoot everyone down?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: Geeno]
    #2772194 - 06/07/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

(Here we go again with the infamous "Let's not respond to the post, but analyze Swami instead." Am I so fascinating that some cannot help but be side-tracked?)

Always? Why must you exaggerate?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/07/04 04:05 PM)

Offlinesensi

#2772226 - 06/07/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:poop: :poop: :poop:

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2772229 - 06/07/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Your mind is constantly interfering with reality, giving it a color, shape and form which is not its own. Your mind never allows you to see that which is; it allows you to see only that which it wants to see.

When the rabid doberman lunges at your throat, just watch; do not judge. Do not replay mental tapes of other dogs that you have seen attacking you in the past and preclude the "real" reality with your fearful though-forms. Witness the beauty of the animal. Notice the shimmering, irridescent colors of his coat. Note the way the saliva drips on to the emerald green grass. Listen to the rich harmonics of his throaty growl. Smell his hot fetid breath before his fangs sink into your tender flesh. Do NOT call those sharp sensations racing to your brain "pain". Watch as you gasp your last breath. Look at the fluffy cirro-cumulous clouds. Feel the stickiness of your life-blood as it drains into the dark rich earth.

If only people would see the world as you described, Swami...  I assume you were trying to be cynical, but in an odd way you helped reinforce the original posters point.  We can look at the world through different eyes, and it is up to us, the beholder, to decide which way we see things.  Most of us would be horrified to be attacked by a rabbid dog, but the way we view the experience is our own choice.  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: Seuss]
    #2772309 - 06/07/04 04:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

is light a wave or a particle? hmph...i guess it depends on how one observes it.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: Seuss]
    #2772340 - 06/07/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I assume you were trying to be cynical

How is that being cynical? Sensi made a radical statement: "Your mind is constantly interfering with reality..." Mind has a purpose: to interpret incoming sound and light vibrations and form a picture, compare with past memories, determine danger and decide upon appropriate action. Without this superfluous "interference", simply drowning in unfiltered raw data, we would be unable to survive.

Swami: 1

Sensi: 0

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#2772368 - 06/07/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Really the fact that we can supposedly view only 2% of the world is entirely redundant. Our eyes can only view within an extremely small light spectrum, we can only hear within a relatively small frequency range, our sense of touch of course is limited to how sensitive our nerves are. So we will never feel most of the particles that hit our body. I do not see what the poster is trying to convey with that. Maybe we should invent better eyes or a new sense of hearing? Yes thats what I think he means.

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: TheCow]
    #2772403 - 06/07/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You are right in your criticism, but it depends on how one defines the world and reality.

Even within the small spectrum of our eyes and other senses our brains choose what to filter and ignore, and what to perceive, we maniplate the "raw data", as the one who calls himself Swami said.

One's personal experience is defined by how our brain interpreted the small moment while the situation was actually happening. For example, the dog encounter was a discrete event in reality, but whether it was a horror or a discovery channel special "rabid dogs" depends on the way our mind constructed it.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2772496 - 06/07/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sensi said:
"Your mind is constantly projecting - projecting itself. Your mind is constantly interfering with reality, giving it a color, shape and form which is not its own. Your mind never allows you to see that which is; it allows you to see only that which it wants to see.

[....snip...]

A moment finally comes when you can watch even your sleep. That is the ultimate in watching. The body goes to sleep and there is still a watcher awake, silently watching the body fast asleep. That is the ultimate in watching. Right now just the opposite is the case: your body is awake but you are asleep. Then you will be awake and your body will be asleep. The body needs rest but your consciousness needs no sleep. Your consciousness is consciousness; it is alertness, that is its very nature."

I like the start and the end.
Maybe it is a bit skewed in that what the mind is doing is natural, and not separate from anything in reality - totally wonderful integrator that it works at all!
in the middle I noted some digression putting blame on society
but really is that any different fom setting. ( a soup of input and output from other minds )
and is mind any different from set ( the attitude of the moment)?

Offlinesensi

#2772839 - 06/07/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I assume you were trying to be cynical

How is that being cynical? Sensi made a radical statement: "Your mind is constantly interfering with reality..." Mind has a purpose: to interpret incoming sound and light vibrations and form a picture, compare with past memories, determine danger and decide upon appropriate action. Without this superfluous "interference", simply drowning in unfiltered raw data, we would be unable to survive.

Swami: 1

Sensi: 0

Without interference we would simply "be". Experiencing true "reality". we would however be deprived of thoughts, emotions and opinions. The point of the artical was not stating "be a rock." The point of the artical was simply acknowledge the world beyond judgments, thoughts, beyond our physical bodies.

If u want to really get into it, mind has 2 purposes, survival and reproduction. Our insticts are fine. However the problem does not lye in insticts its all the crap we (society) create for ourselves.

"the wiser u are the more u realize u actually dont know."-self
do u live in a very contained world or do u realize its much deeper than ur thoughts and your body?

also,
"Swami: 1

Sensi: 0"

-lol, thats funny... judging from that u must think everyone must experiences the same reality. truth is neither of us are correct its simply what u chose to percieve it as.
u are correct in your mind, however I try to see beyond the tangible.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2773071 - 06/07/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i think it might be important to note what reality you are referring to.  what I mean by this is that in your post you referred to colors and sound, our senses, and then you went into how we are conditioned into society.  now I'm not putting anything you said down, I jsut want to get a better image of what you are referring to...a better version of reality if you will... :wink:

the senses to me refers to the external world of ours, while social conditioning has to deal with the internal world.  yes there is a link between the two, but are they dependant on each other? so which reality are you referring to?

I'll try to use an example to display my point better. 

a person who is in constant fear and paranoia sees the world as a paranoid place.  Everything that happens may be seen as a threat to this individual and they will react this way.  in this way, I think you are correct because the opinions that we put upon this world isn't a correct model of what actual is.  this world can be experienced in any way possible and so believing that this world is just one feeling doesn't represent truth very well.

on the flipside, our senses tells us what's going on around us. this is how we fnction...how is this not a view of what actually is?  if you want to say that everything is god or energy, that's fine, and actually I suscribe to this...but a computer still looks like a computer, and green still looks like green.  I may be dreaming you, and you may be dreaming me, but we still share space together. Even if this space isn't actually "here" i have a definition of a keyboard in my mind, and it is the same definition for everyone in here.  if this is a lie...then so be it...but how is that false? 

here's an example of the how external world and the internal world are connected.  we all feel pain, but it is when fear is attached to the pain does it become worse.  if we are in fear, our mind will focus on the pain more, and we will be sent reeling will a ton of negative thougts and may freak out which makes the pain worse.

I hope I made a clear distinction between the two realities and how they are connected...so where is the lie?

you can find oneness while still dreaming can't you?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinesensi

Re: Take responsibility for operating your brain [Re: kaiowas]
    #2773174 - 06/07/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

green? its up to you if green exists. green to me is a product of reflected lightwaves.  :smirk: jk

(by the way this is not my article...) just thought this was interesting and i agree with a lot of the things on there not everything.

and yes i agree there is a set reality. sorta like laws of nature... (i dunno if that qualifies) but i believe our minds are a kalidescope (however u spell that)

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2773249 - 06/07/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

so what do you agree or disagree with in the article? :laugh:

what are some key points that you thought were interesting?

and yes green is a certain frequency of vibrating electrons, but I could think that green could be red...

again, the physcial world vs. the internal world.

kind of like that buddhist koan

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound?"

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract