Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMuppet Happy Birthday!
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith)
    #2742207 - 05/28/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where something unexpected comes along and you get this sinking sensation that there's some sort of significance to what's going on, but you just can't quite seem to put your finger on what exactly that *something* might be? (like if you were to be offered a new job that's not nearly as good as the one you already have for example) Common sense will tell you that there's nothing particularly special about the situation and that you'd be better off just following the path that you're already on - the path of security...the path you know will take you where you need to be - but somewhere deep down inside you can't help but feel as if this new path that's been set in front of you might just be the path that you're supposed to take (even if logically it doesn't make any sense to do so) You can't explain this feeling, and you sure as hell can't justify it...but even so - somewhere in the back of your mind an uncertainty exists, and there's a part of you that wants nothing more then to just go with the flow so that you can find out first hand why exactly this new path was made availible to you, and why you have this sudden urge to deviate from the safty of the life you're currently living. But how often do any of us ever take that risk? Why is it that we coninually choose the path of what's known, even though we know we have never once regreted any of the times in the past we actually did listen to that little guiding light within us? You'd think we'd eventually reach a point where we'd learn to trust our inner selves...but there always seems to be that doubt, no matter how many times we chose the path of unknown treasures. It's almost as if we can't even trust our higher selves - like we're always expecting them to lead us into some sort of trap...like every encounter is a game of russian roulette, or a sort of pandora's box that very well could bring our worst nightmares to pass. It seems we fear the unknown to such an extent that we can't even have faith that what may be unseen by our own eyes, might actually be crystal clear to whomever it is that's guiding us in that direction. Or maybe we just don't know our spiritual guides quite as well as we think we do, so we instinctively fall back on logic every time they try to interfer wth our lives, in an attempt to understand their motives. Rarely though, do they ever make their motives clear...or at least, not until you've already made your descision. The metaphysical world, it seems, relies on faith...and those without it are apparently destined to learn all their lessons the hard way.

Learn to trust in yourselves people - you might just be pleasantly surprized by the outcome  :cool:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Muppet]
    #2742258 - 05/28/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ever since I've done exactly what you're talking about, by following the signs that are displayed to us, and having SOME faith that these are legitimate signs, I've never been happier or more on the 'right track.'  Using the job example, I was offered a new job, and every single feeling told me to take it.  I was nervous, and knew that it had the potential to be worse, and there was no turning back.  But I went with the fact this job was obviously displayed to me for me to take it, and it's been the best job I've ever had. :smile:

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: EgoTripping]
    #2742311 - 05/28/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

On another note, I was on a plane ride to New Orleans and I met this woman who had very spiritual and eastern views. She insisted many, many times I get this book called the 'Tao Of Physics.' I told her I would, and I lodged it into the back of my mind.

Upon arriving at New Orleans, I was rooming with some people. One of them, named Greg, also had very similiar beliefs to mine and to the asian lady. After a ton of talking, he says, "Dude, you have to check this book out, its just amazing!"

You can guess which book he threw to me.

The minute I got back to CA, I bought it. And it's absolutely life-changing.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2742364 - 05/28/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

many of us won't journey into the unknown because fear has such a tight grip. I've noticed soem of the most happiest people in the world have the fewest amount of things.  Our attachment here for doing what you believe in (faith) has some excess baggage to it and that is money.

we went through a conditioning while we were very young that your point in life is to make money!  that was the underlying point, so then you can have whatever you want.  then you'll be happy  :rolleyes:

we are relying on the external reality for our happiness instead of fixing the internal one.  you have all the stuff in the world, and STILL not be happy, something they never tell you in school.  They gave us our "point" in life that we accepted, after all, everyone else was doing.

what one would have to do is break an agreement in their minds that money is what life is about.  It seriously is the money that limits what we do in our minds and in turn, what we do.

now with these thoughts, paying attention is one thing, but acting like a fool is another.  I know there are people who see "signs" and do things to harm people or even themselves.  A depressed mind can think of many excuses why life "sucks"  so I think your advice is right on, but only to the extent of how healthy a person's mind is. 

I think we act on belief through logic. we do need faith, but we also need logic.  Logic gives us reasoning of doing things, even if you don't want to at the time because the action can benefit you later on.  Sure we act on it, but it is our belief that something good will come out of the action is where the faith comes in.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: kaiowas]
    #2742382 - 05/28/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What is money? Materials to gain more materials. Fuck money. Too bad I need it just to survive comfortably.

But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2742446 - 05/28/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

you missed what I was saying.

that's what I meant by fixing the internal world, its your mindset, and early on in our lives we had a process established to it. I don't know if you read muppets post, but muppet asked a couple of questions, and so I had a couple of ideas.

one of the questions had to deal with why people shy away from a path that is unknown, and that depends on many factors.

You're right, what is money? it's jsut an idea, but we have many others that go along with it. like you said "too bad you need it,"

so what about the "But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of. "

where do you find your balance.

yes the idea counts, but don't take your eyes off of statn's little dollar bills either.

do you think that money is excess baggage? if not...why?

excess baggage to what? to doing what you want. like you said, you need it to live comfortably, so why not change your idea of what living comfortably means? you still have that belief, and that will limit you on what you want to do, because what you might wnant to REALLY do isn't "confortable"

this is what muppet I thin was referring to

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (05/28/04 06:33 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2742555 - 05/28/04 07:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

like if you were to be offered a new job that's not nearly as good as the one you already have for example) Common sense will tell you that there's nothing particularly special about the situation and that you'd be better off just following the path that you're already on - the path of security...the path you know will take you where you need to be - but somewhere deep down inside you can't help but feel as if this new path that's been set in front of you might just be the path that you're supposed to take

You mean like David Caruso leaving the security of the leading role on the highly-popular NYPD blue to crash & burn in the movies and waste 10 years before he got back on TV?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2742637 - 05/28/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I believe in signs. There's always something coming up, pointing me in the direction in which I'm supposed to be going. That's why I try not to worry too much.

This past week, I started worrying because of money. I spent two whole days worrying because of money. Then, just when I reminded myself to put the stupid worries aside, stuff came up. Old stuff and new stuff. More signs.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2743091 - 05/28/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What is money? Materials to gain more materials. Fuck money.

Money is merely a tool. And tools are morally neutral.
It's what one does with the tool of money that makes its use positive or negative.

money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of.

It depends on what one desires money for. If one desires money for money's sake or status I would agree with you. If one desires money to donate it to charity, that's admirable.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinesleepysmoker
Stranger

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: kaiowas]
    #2744588 - 05/29/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i have been thinking a lot about this stuff over the past few days.the whole deal with relying on the world to make us who we are, and how we are...feelings n shit. i had been feeling all good about everything for a while, and sure enough last night at this party it all went to hell becuase i wasnt able to bring myself to simply go and talk to this beautiful girl i had made some nice eye contact with a few times over the night. last night before i went to sleep and this morning i couldnt help but think extensivly about all the girls in my life and my relationships with them...ones that id consider having an intimate relationship with. ever since i have been into self realization i havent been able to handle a really close intimate relationship with a girl, and the only reason i can see why is that i cant handle some temporary factor bringing me so much happiness. out of everything i have ever experienced...other than some infinite awareness type feeling, a close relationship with a girl, that i just want to hold onto a not let go, is definitely what makes me happiest.

i geuss as i learn how to seperate my sence of being from the outside world...my emotions...and my thoughts, i will better be able to handle everything.

sorry about this being so off topic.

peace

Edited by sleepysmoker (05/29/04 02:53 PM)

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: sleepysmoker]
    #2745805 - 05/30/04 03:07 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of."

.....and 10,000 other weightless cliches, now on tape and CD, available from K-Tel records.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMuppet Happy Birthday!
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #2745820 - 05/30/04 03:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I love how a thread can always take on a life of it's own  :smirk:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2746240 - 05/30/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

man faith and logic are totally oppiste, to step out in faith is to go against my own understanding and not to trust in what i "feel" is to be right..It's kinda like walking between two mountain peaks with faith being the bridge :grin: To listen to the Voice of the Light means at times to shed our security blanket and just step out and when we do were taken by the hand and showed more and more revalations about our selves and our calling...peace Gypsy....Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding in all your ways acknoledege Him and He shall direct your paths.......

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: peleg]
    #2746272 - 05/30/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Or you can extend your logic with faith. Accept what you know to be true, and using these conditions, apply a logical faith of the unknown. I think that it's also important to realize faith is simply that, faith. While it may be what you believe in, you must also take into account how little you truly know, the conflicting faiths of our species, and the fact that you're probably way off from the "truth". This does not imply faith is bad, but rather that you cannot put too much emphasis on your own faith, and also that you cannot descriminate based upon faith. Even the least 'religious' people have faith.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746293 - 05/30/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Believe whatever makes you happy and know that you may be wrong.

I think that is a realistic "truth".

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Shroomerious]
    #2746364 - 05/30/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

as we grow in faith,understanding is imparted to us, but not of our own carnal knowledge but that of the Creator,myself have been in situation where it went against all "i" thought to be right but steped out and got the victory....peace Gypsy

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746382 - 05/30/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have any proof of that creator you are talking about then?

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2746388 - 05/30/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

*Faith*

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746394 - 05/30/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That is no proof. You want to believe and so you do. Faith is no proof that a creator exists. It is just a way to make your everyday life and problems seem more manageable.

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2746406 - 05/30/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

it's all self-evident, faith is the evedince of things not seen,for it is that which we do not see that is eternal, that which we do see will perish

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds