Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith)
    #2742207 - 05/28/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where something unexpected comes along and you get this sinking sensation that there's some sort of significance to what's going on, but you just can't quite seem to put your finger on what exactly that *something* might be? (like if you were to be offered a new job that's not nearly as good as the one you already have for example) Common sense will tell you that there's nothing particularly special about the situation and that you'd be better off just following the path that you're already on - the path of security...the path you know will take you where you need to be - but somewhere deep down inside you can't help but feel as if this new path that's been set in front of you might just be the path that you're supposed to take (even if logically it doesn't make any sense to do so) You can't explain this feeling, and you sure as hell can't justify it...but even so - somewhere in the back of your mind an uncertainty exists, and there's a part of you that wants nothing more then to just go with the flow so that you can find out first hand why exactly this new path was made availible to you, and why you have this sudden urge to deviate from the safty of the life you're currently living. But how often do any of us ever take that risk? Why is it that we coninually choose the path of what's known, even though we know we have never once regreted any of the times in the past we actually did listen to that little guiding light within us? You'd think we'd eventually reach a point where we'd learn to trust our inner selves...but there always seems to be that doubt, no matter how many times we chose the path of unknown treasures. It's almost as if we can't even trust our higher selves - like we're always expecting them to lead us into some sort of trap...like every encounter is a game of russian roulette, or a sort of pandora's box that very well could bring our worst nightmares to pass. It seems we fear the unknown to such an extent that we can't even have faith that what may be unseen by our own eyes, might actually be crystal clear to whomever it is that's guiding us in that direction. Or maybe we just don't know our spiritual guides quite as well as we think we do, so we instinctively fall back on logic every time they try to interfer wth our lives, in an attempt to understand their motives. Rarely though, do they ever make their motives clear...or at least, not until you've already made your descision. The metaphysical world, it seems, relies on faith...and those without it are apparently destined to learn all their lessons the hard way.

Learn to trust in yourselves people - you might just be pleasantly surprized by the outcome  :cool:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Muppet]
    #2742258 - 05/28/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ever since I've done exactly what you're talking about, by following the signs that are displayed to us, and having SOME faith that these are legitimate signs, I've never been happier or more on the 'right track.'  Using the job example, I was offered a new job, and every single feeling told me to take it.  I was nervous, and knew that it had the potential to be worse, and there was no turning back.  But I went with the fact this job was obviously displayed to me for me to take it, and it's been the best job I've ever had. :smile:

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: EgoTripping]
    #2742311 - 05/28/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

On another note, I was on a plane ride to New Orleans and I met this woman who had very spiritual and eastern views. She insisted many, many times I get this book called the 'Tao Of Physics.' I told her I would, and I lodged it into the back of my mind.

Upon arriving at New Orleans, I was rooming with some people. One of them, named Greg, also had very similiar beliefs to mine and to the asian lady. After a ton of talking, he says, "Dude, you have to check this book out, its just amazing!"

You can guess which book he threw to me.

The minute I got back to CA, I bought it. And it's absolutely life-changing.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2742364 - 05/28/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

many of us won't journey into the unknown because fear has such a tight grip. I've noticed soem of the most happiest people in the world have the fewest amount of things.  Our attachment here for doing what you believe in (faith) has some excess baggage to it and that is money.

we went through a conditioning while we were very young that your point in life is to make money!  that was the underlying point, so then you can have whatever you want.  then you'll be happy  :rolleyes:

we are relying on the external reality for our happiness instead of fixing the internal one.  you have all the stuff in the world, and STILL not be happy, something they never tell you in school.  They gave us our "point" in life that we accepted, after all, everyone else was doing.

what one would have to do is break an agreement in their minds that money is what life is about.  It seriously is the money that limits what we do in our minds and in turn, what we do.

now with these thoughts, paying attention is one thing, but acting like a fool is another.  I know there are people who see "signs" and do things to harm people or even themselves.  A depressed mind can think of many excuses why life "sucks"  so I think your advice is right on, but only to the extent of how healthy a person's mind is. 

I think we act on belief through logic. we do need faith, but we also need logic.  Logic gives us reasoning of doing things, even if you don't want to at the time because the action can benefit you later on.  Sure we act on it, but it is our belief that something good will come out of the action is where the faith comes in.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: kaiowas]
    #2742382 - 05/28/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What is money? Materials to gain more materials. Fuck money. Too bad I need it just to survive comfortably.

But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2742446 - 05/28/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

you missed what I was saying.

that's what I meant by fixing the internal world, its your mindset, and early on in our lives we had a process established to it. I don't know if you read muppets post, but muppet asked a couple of questions, and so I had a couple of ideas.

one of the questions had to deal with why people shy away from a path that is unknown, and that depends on many factors.

You're right, what is money? it's jsut an idea, but we have many others that go along with it. like you said "too bad you need it,"

so what about the "But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of. "

where do you find your balance.

yes the idea counts, but don't take your eyes off of statn's little dollar bills either.

do you think that money is excess baggage? if not...why?

excess baggage to what? to doing what you want. like you said, you need it to live comfortably, so why not change your idea of what living comfortably means? you still have that belief, and that will limit you on what you want to do, because what you might wnant to REALLY do isn't "confortable"

this is what muppet I thin was referring to

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (05/28/04 06:33 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2742555 - 05/28/04 07:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

like if you were to be offered a new job that's not nearly as good as the one you already have for example) Common sense will tell you that there's nothing particularly special about the situation and that you'd be better off just following the path that you're already on - the path of security...the path you know will take you where you need to be - but somewhere deep down inside you can't help but feel as if this new path that's been set in front of you might just be the path that you're supposed to take

You mean like David Caruso leaving the security of the leading role on the highly-popular NYPD blue to crash & burn in the movies and waste 10 years before he got back on TV?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2742637 - 05/28/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I believe in signs. There's always something coming up, pointing me in the direction in which I'm supposed to be going. That's why I try not to worry too much.

This past week, I started worrying because of money. I spent two whole days worrying because of money. Then, just when I reminded myself to put the stupid worries aside, stuff came up. Old stuff and new stuff. More signs.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2743091 - 05/28/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What is money? Materials to gain more materials. Fuck money.

Money is merely a tool. And tools are morally neutral.
It's what one does with the tool of money that makes its use positive or negative.

money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of.

It depends on what one desires money for. If one desires money for money's sake or status I would agree with you. If one desires money to donate it to charity, that's admirable.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinesleepysmoker
Stranger

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: kaiowas]
    #2744588 - 05/29/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i have been thinking a lot about this stuff over the past few days.the whole deal with relying on the world to make us who we are, and how we are...feelings n shit. i had been feeling all good about everything for a while, and sure enough last night at this party it all went to hell becuase i wasnt able to bring myself to simply go and talk to this beautiful girl i had made some nice eye contact with a few times over the night. last night before i went to sleep and this morning i couldnt help but think extensivly about all the girls in my life and my relationships with them...ones that id consider having an intimate relationship with. ever since i have been into self realization i havent been able to handle a really close intimate relationship with a girl, and the only reason i can see why is that i cant handle some temporary factor bringing me so much happiness. out of everything i have ever experienced...other than some infinite awareness type feeling, a close relationship with a girl, that i just want to hold onto a not let go, is definitely what makes me happiest.

i geuss as i learn how to seperate my sence of being from the outside world...my emotions...and my thoughts, i will better be able to handle everything.

sorry about this being so off topic.

peace

Edited by sleepysmoker (05/29/04 02:53 PM)

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: sleepysmoker]
    #2745805 - 05/30/04 03:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"But money isn't the evil in this world, it's the desire of money that you must learn to let go of."

.....and 10,000 other weightless cliches, now on tape and CD, available from K-Tel records.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #2745820 - 05/30/04 03:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I love how a thread can always take on a life of it's own  :smirk:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2746240 - 05/30/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

man faith and logic are totally oppiste, to step out in faith is to go against my own understanding and not to trust in what i "feel" is to be right..It's kinda like walking between two mountain peaks with faith being the bridge :grin: To listen to the Voice of the Light means at times to shed our security blanket and just step out and when we do were taken by the hand and showed more and more revalations about our selves and our calling...peace Gypsy....Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding in all your ways acknoledege Him and He shall direct your paths.......

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: peleg]
    #2746272 - 05/30/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Or you can extend your logic with faith. Accept what you know to be true, and using these conditions, apply a logical faith of the unknown. I think that it's also important to realize faith is simply that, faith. While it may be what you believe in, you must also take into account how little you truly know, the conflicting faiths of our species, and the fact that you're probably way off from the "truth". This does not imply faith is bad, but rather that you cannot put too much emphasis on your own faith, and also that you cannot descriminate based upon faith. Even the least 'religious' people have faith.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746293 - 05/30/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Believe whatever makes you happy and know that you may be wrong.

I think that is a realistic "truth".

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Shroomerious]
    #2746364 - 05/30/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

as we grow in faith,understanding is imparted to us, but not of our own carnal knowledge but that of the Creator,myself have been in situation where it went against all "i" thought to be right but steped out and got the victory....peace Gypsy

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746382 - 05/30/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Do you have any proof of that creator you are talking about then?

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2746388 - 05/30/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

*Faith*

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746394 - 05/30/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That is no proof. You want to believe and so you do. Faith is no proof that a creator exists. It is just a way to make your everyday life and problems seem more manageable.

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2746406 - 05/30/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

it's all self-evident, faith is the evedince of things not seen,for it is that which we do not see that is eternal, that which we do see will perish

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2746416 - 05/30/04 11:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Faith is no evidence.
Faith is the wish for something to exist together with the possibility that it exists.Nothing less, nothing more. Unless you have proof that the parallel universe theory is valid.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2746429 - 05/30/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yup, I agree Shroomerious. Faith is dictated a lot by people's own desires. They want to believe that they will last an eternity. They want to believe that there's some personal creative force that shaped them from his own image. They want to believe in a blissfull afterlife. They want to believe that no matter what they do, God is always with them, and they will be forgiven. I think this is why modern Christianity is so popular, especially in our Western society built around needs, desires, and comforts in between the stress-filled will to accomplish artificial success of fame and wealth. This isn't an insult towards modern Christianity, but rather just my views on the matter, and I don't mean to offend anyone.

If however, a faith like Christianity makes you feel important and comforts you, and this is what you want, then by all means continue practicing it. It doesn't matter what you believe because we are all aprt of the eternal truth, even if none of us truly know what it is.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: deff]
    #2747013 - 05/30/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There's another view to why people believe. I personally don't believe just because it makes my life more bearable. I believe because I have seen too many signs in my life that give rise to such beliefs. In other words, after some of the things I have experienced, how could I not believe???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Frog]
    #2747052 - 05/30/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Frog, I've red many of your posts when you say that and in all the cases your so called signs are just things that happen to all of us but you feel that they are signs.I am not saying that I know all of you r signs but from what I've red from you they are not signs but could very well be just synchronicity.REALLY millions of things like what you describe as signs happen to me every day and I don't feel that they are gods ways to show that he loves me if I remember correctly one of your posts. The one with your car and the keys and the one who helped blah blah blah. Things like that happen to all of us every day.If you want to interpret them as signs then go on... I don't get what the problem is with christians its like they wear blinkers or something.THINK.All I'm saying is believe what you want to believe but please at least be so open minded to know that there is a great possibility that you might be wrong.I know that your religion makes you happy but we had this conversation in the past if I remember correctly and you just don't seem to learn anything. I don't get it...

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2747184 - 05/30/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

it takes an open mind to step out in faith

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2747315 - 05/30/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It takes exactly the opposite. A mind full of terror and insecutity.

--------------------

Offlinesleepysmoker
Stranger

#2748280 - 05/30/04 10:40 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

maybe it takes both

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2748399 - 05/30/04 11:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerious said:
Frog, I've red many of your posts when you say that and in all the cases your so called signs are just things that happen to all of us but you feel that they are signs.I am not saying that I know all of you r signs but from what I've red from you they are not signs but could very well be just synchronicity.REALLY millions of things like what you describe as signs happen to me every day and I don't feel that they are gods ways to show that he loves me if I remember correctly one of your posts. The one with your car and the keys and the one who helped blah blah blah. Things like that happen to all of us every day.If you want to interpret them as signs then go on... I don't get what the problem is with christians its like they wear blinkers or something.THINK.All I'm saying is believe what you want to believe but please at least be so open minded to know that there is a great possibility that you might be wrong.I know that your religion makes you happy but we had this conversation in the past if I remember correctly and you just don't seem to learn anything. I don't get it...

Shroomerious, if you remember that post, which was entitled "WTF", I also said I was looking for a reason that was not "God".  I mean, keep in mind that I believe that God is behind everything, but I also believe that there is probably a logical explanation for everything.  No one came up with anything that made sense.

But it probably is synchronicity.  Maybe I'm getting synchronicity confused with signs.

Um, where does synchronicity come from??? 

:grin:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2748416 - 05/30/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerious said:
It takes exactly the opposite. A  mind full of terror and insecutity.

I realize that probably most people believe in God and heaven and hell out of fear.  I did too, when I was younger.  I no longer believe in a God of hell.  I believe in a loving God.

'Course, you're going to hell.  :grin:

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2748610 - 05/31/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

this probally needs it's own thread, but Christ Himself made many refrences to hell....No it's not God's will that any should perish. But for one to live by there desires (hence the devil) they will fight it out with there desires (demons) in hell..There is a constant war going on for your soul and those that have been given eyes to "see" know this (ya'll know who you are) the devil will do anything to keep you from beliving by pulling doubts out of his bag of devises'.His main goal is to keep you in bondage by his lies, but Christ has come to give life more abundently..like Bob Marely sang, been down low, let me tell you what i know, keep on knocking but ya can't come in, can't ya understand ya been living in sin...

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2748620 - 05/31/04 12:11 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ba da bing!

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2749237 - 05/31/04 06:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Listen, you say you believe and you believe.......in a loving god...synchronicity is synchronicity and that's it.I don't know where it came from or what created it or if it is purely our minds term because we can't feel more dimensions.If it is inflicted by a higher being to make it seem like synchronicity I don't know and neither do you. You believe in a god, purely created by your mind. You just speculate.This is all a speculation nothing more! I don't get how you can not aknowledge the fact that there may be no god.The bible is a book edited in its present form by siners as you'd call them.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2749241 - 05/31/04 06:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I don't get how you can not aknowledge the fact that there may be no god.

By that I mean no loving god as you say that is focused on to you(plural). Sure,propably there are higher beings but what makes you think that they love you or the even know that you exist?You,don't know who created us, you just speculate.If you did and you had real proof,if anyone had real proof the world would be turned upside down.You want to believe and so you do.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2749605 - 05/31/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerious said:
Listen, you say you believe and you believe.......in a loving god...synchronicity is synchronicity and that's it.I don't know where it came from or what created it or if it is purely our minds term because we can't feel more dimensions.If it is inflicted by a higher being to make it seem like synchronicity I don't know and neither do you. You believe in a god, purely created by your mind. You just speculate.This is all a speculation nothing more! I don't get how you can not aknowledge the fact that there may be no god.The bible is a book edited in its present form by siners as you'd call them.

I agree.  It might all be crap.  But I'm not the nihilist that you are.  I have decided that there is a God.  What's it to you?  How does that affect your world?  Will the sun still come up for you tomorrow?  :grin:

Believing in "synchronicity" could be just as much crap as believing in God.  You might be wrong, too.  Synchronicity might just be coincidence.  Why do you attach so much importance to it?  Are  you delusional?  :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Frog (05/31/04 11:00 AM)

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2749611 - 05/31/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

an evil and adulturious generation seeks for signs, i tell you the truth no sign shall be given but that of Jonah the prophet......The Bible was written by men like me for men like me under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.....

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2749686 - 05/31/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Peleg, really you are so full of shit, I can't believe you called my generation evil...Evil?Get a life!The bible was written by men like you but was edited by bastards.

Frog, I am not wrong and that's the end of it. And the reason is that which I said a million times. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN SYNCHRONICITY. I do not know if it works. I do not believe in something because I have not seen proof for it. I never ever said that I believe in synchronicity. I allways say the "maybe" and "could be".How exactly have you decided that there is a god?How?You decided.....You speculate that there is a god. Nihilism is a good thing and it is by itself a strong value but up to a point only. Will the sun still come up for me tommorow? It will come up as it always had. Whats in it for me?This is your problem.You desperatelly need to believe that someone takes care of you.I don't. You condemn people of paying too much attention to the "material" world but you don't see that what you seek by saying "whats in it to you me etc" is merely an extension of the same philosophy of life.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2749717 - 05/31/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have decided FOR ME, that there is a God.  I never said that you have to believe in God, too. 

Nihilism has some good points.  I agree. 

I think it's funny when you "nonbelievers" say that us believers have a problem for believing the way we believe.  Why do you have to come to that conclusion?  What is it, in you, that is so insecure that you have to find fault with me for my beliefs?  I just simply believe.  How does this upset your world?  Does my belief make you somehow feel uncomfortable?

As to the material world...I am not condemning anyone for seeking materialism.  But I'm trying, in my life, to remove the importance of it.  Or at least I don't see the importance of it any more.  It's nice to have things, but they're not important.  But sometimes I get caught up in it, because of others being caught up in it. 

So I'm trying to find a balance.  I'm trying to sort it all out.  I have been involved with people recently who are into materialism and money and put a lot of importance on it.  That's fine, for them, but not for me.  It causes anxiety in my life.  So I have to distance myself from that.  For me, not for them.  And not for you, either. 
Seems like my beliefs cause you a lot of discomfort.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2749863 - 05/31/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, here are my points:

0)Discomfort is good.Out of it comes comfort.The sole reason of my discomfort is that I know that you know that you don't have enough evidence for what you believe and that you believe only to avoid fear and to have the prospect of a better life which consequently makes your life in the present better because really this is allthis is about.

1)I do not have a problem with you believing anything you want if it makes you happy.

2)I know that you never said that I have to believe in god but in all I don't see enough proof for you or me to believe in god exceptt insecurity.You are a bit confused here.You are insecure because you want to feel that something big is watching over you as you are constantly saying and not I because as I already say I don't have a problem with you believing anything you want as long as it doesn't negatively affect my everyday life.

3)What I am saying is that you must have a problem to believe what you believe,that problem being insecurity-it's not a bad thing, because you have no evidence.

4)Please answer realistically and open-mindly because I am really bored of repeating the same thing over and over again.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2749931 - 05/31/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerious said:
Ok, here are my points:

0)Discomfort is good.Out of it comes comfort.The sole reason of my discomfort is that I know that you know that you don't have enough evidence for what you believe and that you believe only to avoid fear and to have the prospect of a better life which consequently makes your life in the present better because really this is allthis is about.

So you have discomfort over my beliefs.  Very interesting.  And you presume that I believe beccause I am afraid.  More interesting. 

Quote:

1)I do not have a problem with you believing anything you want if it makes you happy.

Gee, thanks, Shroomerious.

Quote:

2)I know that you never said that I have to believe in god but in all I don't see enough proof for you or me to believe in god exceptt insecurity.

So?  You still don't have to believe.  :grin:

And I see you are making more presumptions.  How do you know I am insecure?

Quote:

You are a bit confused here.You are insecure because you want to feel that something big is watching over you as you are constantly saying and not I because as I already say I don't have a problem with you believing anything you want as long as it doesn't negatively affect my everyday life.

More presumptions.  How do you know that I am confused?  How do you know I "want" to feel something is watching over me? 

I don't "want" someone to watch over me.  I believe that God has been watching over me, based on looking back over my life and things that have happened.  During my life, I did not feel anyone was watching over me.  So it's not that I "want" a god to watch over me cuz I'm so afraid.  I see NOW, in retrospect, that there has been someone watching over me.

Quote:

3)What I am saying is that you must have a problem to believe what you believe,that problem being insecurity-it's not a bad thing, because you have no evidence.

Come meet me, Shroomerious, and let's discuss my insecurities in person.  I'm an attorney.  I battle in court against other attorneys.  I kick some pretty good ass.  To what insecurities are you referring?  Someone who believes in God because of insecurities doesen't strike me as a person who would kick ass in court.  :grin:

I have all the evidence that I need.  You can't see the evidence.  I'm sorry for you.  Very sad.  Maybe limited intelligence?

Quote:

4)Please answer realistically and open-mindly because I am really bored of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Go read through all my posts.  I'm sure that somewhere in there, you'll find plenty of reasons why I believe in God. 

It's mostly based on faith, Shroomerious.  I don't expect you to understand, because you don't believe. 

But yes, when I die, I could possibly find out that there was no God.  So what?  You'll be right and I'll be wrong.  Again, so what?  So tell me, how does it hurt you that I believe in God?  You haven't answered that question yet.  How is your life affected? 

If you're so right, why aren't you just sitting back, thinking how cute it is that we Christians believe in a non-existent fairy-tale God?  Why aren't you just chuckling away?  Why does it annoy you?

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2750267 - 05/31/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Frog I can not believe this you are saying the same things. Again you say that you believe in god and I don't whereas what I am really saying is that I don't know.That's it.

i DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOPUU BELIEVING IN YOUR FAIRY-TALE GOD BUT THE THING IS THAT REALLY OPEN0MINDED CHRISTIANS AKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT THEY MIGHT BE WRONG AND THEY BELIEVE BECAUSE THE WANT TO BELIEVE.

i RED YOUR POSTS AND THE ONLY REASON i FIND IS INSECURITY.And you have accepted it in one of your posts saying that its nice to know that there is someone to keep an eye on you.

The attorney thing, please go watch The Wall from Pink Floyd.

AND FINALLY I KNOW THAT YOU REALLY ARE CONFUSED BECAUSE YOU SAY DIFFERENT THINGS ON EACH OCCASION.I REMEMBER A POST WHERE YOU SAID 2 EXACTLY DIFFERENT THINGS AND WHEN I MENTIONED IT YOU JUST DIDN'T ANSWER.HOW CONVINIENT.

Lets finish this here won't we?What do you say?Because I really don't think we're getting nowhere because even when we do then after some time you say the same old views again.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2750299 - 05/31/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't understand you, Shroomerious. What do you want me to say? I've already said that you could be right, that there could be no God. Aaargh!! What do you want me to say? I have chosen to believe. What???

Where have I been inconsistent? Show me that, too. Why should I change my views, just because they make you uncomfortable?

Just tell me what you want me to say, and I'll either agree to say it or I won't, and if I don't, I'll at least give my reasons for why I won't. But this is ridiculous. I'm going to keep repeating myself unless you tell me what it is you're waiting to hear.

Quote:

i RED YOUR POSTS AND THE ONLY REASON i FIND IS INSECURITY.And you have accepted it in one of your posts saying that its nice to know that there is someone to keep an eye on you.

I don't get how I am insecure. I'm not insecure at all. I think someone is keeping an eye on me. If you knew me, you'd be glad for me that someone is keeping an eye on me.

If you only knew what I'm like. I lose things, forget things, and get lost, among many of my quirks. I can't seem to take care of myself. I am a complete ditz. People frequently take advantage of me because I trust everyone.

Yet I am somehow managing my way through life. Looking back on it, I don't think I've been doing it alone. I think there's a God, and I think he puts people in my life to help me. There could be another answer, but I LIKE THIS ANSWER AND I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN GOD AND BELIEVE THAT GOD IS HELPING ME.

???

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2750324 - 05/31/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I LIKE THIS ANSWER AND I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN GOD AND BELIEVE THAT GOD IS HELPING ME.

I will remember that. Or....Do you:

1)Like the answer and as a result of that you choose to believe by knowing that what you believe might not be true or
2)Like the answer and believe with no doubt.

About the inconsistent part...errr wait I think it was...there:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum11&Number=2402571&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=2396699&Search=true&where=&Name=115194&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post2402571

Also, I red in your profile the letters ADHD, that wouldn't happen to represent Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Dissorder? I did a test I found in the internet and I am very likely to have a certain type of it.

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
    #2750334 - 05/31/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

To belive without doubt is the only way to fly :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2750343 - 05/31/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Carry on believing that if it makes you happy but the way to fly is different for each individual really.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#2750424 - 05/31/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Shroomerious, your passion for your position is admirable, but may I make a few suggestions?

First of all, shouting at people (using all CAPS) does nothing to advance your argument. Particularly when debating with a reasonable, good-natured person like Frog.

Secondly, when you are criticizing someone for blind faith, making statements like

Frog, I am not wrong and that's the end of it.

undermines your argument.

Thirdly, telling someone "you're full of shit" will not win you many fans here or help advance your argument. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Jellric]
    #2750508 - 05/31/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I like to think i have followed my instincts up to this point. I have had several different jobs and even vastly different careers up till this point. I have acted on whims and instincts and given up lucrative jobs for mediocre ones. I have invested in business deals and told people i depend on for a living to fuck off. After all this i cant really say my life is much for the better.

I am impulsive by nature and following my impulses often leads me to nothing but trouble. If it weren't for a very supporting family I'm pretty sure i would be fucked by now. Whenever i tell them about my new projects they are very very scepticall before i can even explain what it is i want to do. :smile:

Its not that i have actually failed. Or done really bad decisions its just that life doesn't always add up to my favor. Fortunately i have always managed to salvage the pieces that are most important to me so that i can move on.

I can honestly say i have thus far done everything i set my mind to except sell everything i own and travel the world for several years. ( a long lost dream of mine).

I guess I'm starting to get cynical and doubt that there really is a grand design for me. Maybe I'm just not meant for great things.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2750518 - 05/31/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First of all, shouting at people (using all CAPS) does nothing to advance your argument
What if your fellow debatee is hard of hearing?

Particularly when debating with a reasonable, good-natured person like Frog.
Is it OK to shout if they are unreasonable?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Swami]
    #2750545 - 05/31/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2751207 - 05/31/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerious said:
Quote:

I LIKE THIS ANSWER AND I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN GOD AND BELIEVE THAT GOD IS HELPING ME.

I will remember that. Or....Do you:

1)Like the answer and as a result of that you choose to believe by knowing that what you believe might not be true or
2)Like the answer and believe with no doubt.

I have sometimes a small nagging suspicion that there may be no God, but I have decided to stand on faith and believe anyways, even as irrational as it may seem to others.

Quote:

About the inconsistent part...errr wait I think it was...there:

(Your cited thread)

I went and read the thread that you cited. I see where you say I am confused, and I still don't see it as being confused. If someone wants to explain to me why they think there is no God, I will listen, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to change my mind when the only evidence offered for the non-existence of God is His nonexistence. I choose to believe in spite of the lack of concrete evidence.

Quote:

Also, I red in your profile the letters ADHD, that wouldn't happen to represent Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Dissorder? I did a test I found in the internet and I am very likely to have a certain type of it.

Yes, attention deficit disorder w/ hyperactivity. I have been studying it for a while now. I have it. Four of my 5 children have it. Except that now I don't believe it exists.

What I think now is that there the smarter you are, the more likely your brain is going to have some glitches. People who are smart probably think differently and their brains probably go faster. Consequently, they forget things, lose things, etc.

This is why everyone has a bit of "ADHD". Just some people have more than others. Usually, those that have more of the symptoms than others are also very highly intelligent.

There may be more to it than this, but it explains a lot for me, when you consider there is no known cause yet for ADHD. The things I can't explain is hyperactivity. That may have something to do with hormones or chemicals or something. Renegade?

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2752181 - 06/01/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First,the shouting part was a typing mistake, if you look closely you will see that one of my sentences starts with an "i" and not an "I".

Second,it does not undermine my argument.I said it and I mean it. And the reason that I can't be wrong and I have said it a miiiiiiiiilion times ffs is that I accept the posibility of god, Christ or whoever to exist.I accept everything all the posibilities and this is why I can not be wrong.What is so hard for you to understand?

Third, I don't want to win any fans and as far as if this language can advance my comment it is up to the individuals krisis(critical ability). Some people say things that make me angry and when I think they are full of shit I express it.I mean I can not believe what he wrote.Evil generation.I'm sorry but he is full of shit.

P.S.:I don't remember ever using that language in these forums before so I don't think it is something wrong to do when I really feel that it is appropriate.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2752184 - 06/01/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've red somewhere that eating meat an organic food makes you feel better as well as exercising...But it didn't make a big difference to me, maybe because I only kept the diet for a week or so.

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#2752668 - 06/01/04 10:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think signs go in the same category as superstitions, they're just a result of the game that your ego plays on you.

Signs come from the interior, not the exterior...

Follow what your heart tells you, not what some random outside objects you've given meanings to tell you.

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2753799 - 06/01/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, take it as a sign that muppet used a randomn example which EgoTripping could relate to!

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2753870 - 06/01/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but she did ask for some input on ADHD...

I think the people on the Hartmann site have it all confused when they claim ADHD doesn't exist because there is no known cause.  Just because the cause of something isn't known doesn't mean it can't still exist.  For example, there was a time when people didn't know lung cancer was caused by cigarettes, but the cancer still existed. 

There are still physical differences in brain structure between ADDers & non-ADDers.  These structural variations have been correlated to about 50 different genes, making it impossible to identify one gene that is responsible.  There also isn't any valid evidence linking ADHD to environmental factors, such as bad parenting, childhood illness, video games, etc., so no "preventable cause" can be found.

Now, if you're saying it's not a disorder, but just a different way of processing information, I totally agree with you.  I'm not "defective" or "fucked up" (well, I am fucked up :tongue:), but I am obviously "different" than most people.

As far as hyperactivity, norepinephrine is the neurotransmitter usually associated with it, but I have an additional theory on where the hyperactivity comes from.  Some of the ADHD symptoms are impulsivity, racing thoughts, and poor time management because everything seems to run together in the ADDers brain. 

Well, if I'm having all these thoughts all at once without any lag between thought and action 'cause of my underactive prefrontal cortex, wouldn't it make sense that I'd be more active than the average person?  Not that all my activity actually translates into getting anything done - I'm a master of running around like a chicken with its head cut off for no fucking reason.

/end ADHD ramble

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Renegade8]
    #2754891 - 06/01/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you for the input.  I knew I could count on you. 

Quote:

Renegade420 said:
I'm a master of running around like a chicken with its head cut off for no fucking reason.

Sorry, but I'm the master of the headless chicken routine.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2755341 - 06/01/04 11:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Sorry, but I'm the master of the headless chicken routine.  :grin:

Yeah, you win on that one. :tongue:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Re: reading life's litte signs (and the importance of faith) [Re: Renegade8]
    #2755757 - 06/02/04 02:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

not to sidetrack the thread either but is that the nigger's as your avatar renegade? :eek:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom