Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2728068 - 05/25/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ego is a word, a sound or combination of symbols, created by humans, and used to describe a number of different ideas. People have different views on the matter, but that's not important. What's important is that all these seperate views may all be valid, so why try to isolate just one and apply it to the very inert three letter word. Of course 'ego' in the sense of a self-defining force, is impossible to describe or know, seeing how it applies to our own self.

It is impossible to subjectively view something that creates the illusion of 'I'.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: trendal]
    #2728113 - 05/25/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

So I write this here, without reading the previous stuff.
Quite risky, but otherwise I will forget, what to say :blush:
Edit and delete is always a good option so...

For me, the damned ego-thing is nothing more then the patternconnectionability of our electrified over-brain, the neocortex. There, crazy psychiatrists proofed the existence of the higher mind-abilities like counsciesnes and recognition. They stuck pretty little electrodes into the neocortex and there appeared hallucinations and multilevel 'pattern-influence'. In there, all our brain-fluctures come together to patterns, from the different lower mindregions and form our 'weak' kind of couscious existence. On which we tend to relay often too much. You can call this part of existence 'ego' and from a very abstract and immaterial angle, it can refill and restimulate matter back to life and so much more.
The ego for me is the 'first over the water peak' from the ice-block forming couscious on the material level.
A big try and hope for the universe to get itself reknown and reaffectet by itself on a level where counsciousness ('reborn' through evolution) affects matter back in a straight way :wink:

Just my some cent. Sorry, for some unknown reason I couldn't resist to write that. I followed and chewed on that ego-thread quite a while since :wink:
Now I will read the previous messages :laugh:
Okay, stands :wink: But ego is no prime filter...more the forming of some unifying patterns out of low mind, which reflect back on your behaviour and therefor seams like a filter :wink: These patterns reinfluence your behaviour and so construct your experience which is forming back on your patterns again :wink: So the cycle is closed :wink:
Humpf :laugh:
Great post redgreen, the ego has covered so much of the self...
(then just reading the link...Oh fuck that's long...reading afterwards )
THen my last thought was...when the ego is developed enough, it can regain it purpose from its soul and spiritual guide, wich can evvenly cover your thoughts from below and above. Like fully conscious animals :smile:

So now you just can call me crazy, but I hope I gave enough 'material' to think about :wink: I have to reanalyze, too. But it should have been worth a post :wink:
Perhaps I can bring it together a bit better later :nut:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (05/25/04 03:04 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #2728210 - 05/25/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

> So now you just can call me crazy

You must be crazy... you actually used more smiley faces in a post than I would have.  Sheesh...

:grin:  <--- you missed that one!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2729326 - 05/25/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm fairly sure we're working with an 'ego is the aspect of ourselves that is concious of itself' supposition here... If we aren't seperating self from an external world, any discussion you could hope to have about ego would be pretty limited. For the sake of being able to communicate ideas, certain assumptions must be made. This doesn't necessarily mean that self is seperate from the world, but it's hard to discuss things that are incommunicable because of the grandness of all-being-One. Distinctions and generalizations and assumptions get made at every level of any intelligent exchange of ideas. The thing to do is realize these synthesis ideas are limited insofar as they have definition and that is why you needn't worry, because I'm wrong. You just have to internalize the idea into an unlimited, undefined dialectic concept that you know you'll never be able to communicate clearly to anyone else and try to express it as best you might when circumstances allow. Get around to it indirectly is a pretty effective manner of doing this.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: trendal]
    #2729677 - 05/25/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with the definitions you found, if we're putting ego in a nutshell.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2730112 - 05/25/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
defining ego in terms of self is like defining art in terms of work, or interms of wealth. a poor pointer to a different question!

what is self??? (what is ego??)

Defining ego as a sense of self does not imply that some metaphysically constant "self" actually exists. The "ego" IMO is simply the (re)presentation of "self" to the consciousness. In order for consciousness to interpret sensory information it must be in relation to some thing. The ego is an implicit necessity for consciousness. Without ego there is no experience (and thus no consciousness). Without ego there is only sensory data.

Quote:

is ego the part of self that relates to experiencing or is it the part of self that relates to the history and baggage?

Primarily to experiencing, but it may be shaped in a fashion that causes the consciousness to contextualize experience in terms of history and "baggage."

Quote:

is ego something separate from self ?

In the conventional sense of the word "self": no, but it may present itself as such.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Revelation]
    #2731341 - 05/26/04 07:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That deoxy link was an extremely interesting read.  Thank you for sharing it.

Edit: I always click on threads trendal starts, because I usually leave the thread with some acquired knowledge. Now am I feeding trendal's ego? :wink:

Oh trendal, the humblest of them all! Now look back at me and smile :smile:.

Edit: After reading that deoxy link, I've done a little afterthought. According to the deoxy reference, other's approval of myself feed the ego. What about my own interests? Say I buy a shirt that I like to make myself look good. That clearly feeds the ego. However, say I purchase a shirt that I like because I like the designs on it. Regardless of whether or not I think another person approves of my shirt, is this action valid for "ego feeding"?

Perhaps that was a bad example. The idea I try to convey is the notion of purchasing and obtaining things for your personal pleasure. Could doing so subconciously feed your ego? Nonetheless, as I am writing this I have come to the conclusion that it does feed ones' ego because now the ego is not desiring attention from others but rather materials. Alack, instead of you approving of my actions, I approve of my own actions. I take the place of your approval. Quite strange. Just thinking aloud.  :laugh:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Edited by daba (05/26/04 07:52 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2731617 - 05/26/04 09:47 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I asked some of the questions that have led me to believe that the ego is the electro-bio-mechanically base that supports our living responding body-selves. (like a robotic program)

In a way, I think that the self is inseparable from it but that the self is also connected to an unconditioned totality which goes beyond ego. (I don't really want to think I am just a robotic program)

The mind (in which the ego resides) supports a consciousness that accepts input from 5 senses and memory from which continuous feeds battle for attention. We learn how to navigate this rich input/throughput, and that learning is very much summarized by ego - the management routines. (sets of filter, mask, response routines - robotically stimulated)

Still we are always free or able to attend to something else, and to change our tack. Free will. Is this also EGO? Is free will Inseparable from EGO? maybe. (or maybe it is a result of using the relaxation program or series of releasing routines - not free will, but relaxed will, matured will. maybe)

maybe there is nothing beyond Ego, but if so, it can be reconditioned to sustain better morality, better art, better love, and better wisdom.

Quote:

Phencyclidine said:

Primarily to experiencing, but it may be shaped in a fashion that causes the consciousness to contextualize experience in terms of history and "baggage."

Quote:

me
is ego something separate from self ?

In the conventional sense of the word "self": no, but it may present itself as such.

Edited by redgreenvines (05/26/04 09:49 AM)

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2734554 - 05/26/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
The mind (in which the ego resides) supports a consciousness that accepts input from 5 senses and memory from which continuous feeds battle for attention. We learn how to navigate this rich input/throughput, and that learning is very much summarized by ego - the management routines. (sets of filter, mask, response routines - robotically stimulated)

I would argue that the ego plays a large part in informing those processes that determine which sensory mode is allowed most input into consciousness and the nature of that information. If the ego is what defines the sense of the self, then surely it is reasonable to think that it plays a role in filtering information into the consciousness and constructing it in such a way as to help sustain a particular sense of identity. This line of thinking may put the ego in a role of restriction, because it seems that the ego must be shaping a static sense of self, though I would caution against assuming that this is true. Perhaps there are a regulatory forces that ensure the ego is not too rigid in constructing a coherent model of self (and by extension, the "outside" world).

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2735627 - 05/27/04 06:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

our repeated actions become habits
our habits become restrictions or structure.
our lives are built partly on this structure.

when we entheogenize, a good set and setting
(see this is structure too) provides that when the
filters are down, not much trouble happens.
later we may adjust the habits and over time
retrain the ego (bit by bit) to our more open understanding which we seek and find.

Mostly it is about relaxing (awake) and less kneejerk habit (sleepwalking)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order