Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMTML
Stranger
Tek Given to me by Snowspeed1...
    #2647751 - 05/06/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I'm posting this for anyone adding suggestions to it. All credit goes to snowspeed1...
The Magic Bag Tek

Items:

Substrate - This could be grain, brf, or even soaked straw

Plastic oven bag - chicken size

Plastic bottle cap - Such as one to a two liter bottle

Two coffee filters - Hepa filters and filter disks would work just as well

Twine or rubber bands

Substrate:

For substrate use whatever you normally would. A brown rice flour/verm mix would work fine. Another idea is to use grain, or even straw. If you use grain you must first soak the grain for 24 hour, and the bag must be sterilized at high temps. If you choose to use straw you must either soak the straw for twenty four hours and sterilize it inside the bag or pastuerize the straw first and then sterilize inside the bag. Using straw or brown rice flour would be optimal if you dont have a pressure cooker.

When you have prepared your substrate fill your bag or bags to half way full.

Preparing the bag:

Take your plastic bottle cap and with a knife or a hot metal object cut out the center so you are left with tube. Make sure to shave off those rough edges if you have any.

Now, grab the top of your bag twist it up and feed it through the hole. The tube should be aproximately three to four inches down the neck of the bag.

Now open the mouth of the bag and spread it like a flower opening its petals out and over the plastic bottle cap tube. Your bag should be open enought that you could stick a pencil down its throat. This is where you will innoculate it at. If this hole seems to small you can always try a larger bottle cap.

Take a coffe filter and place it over the hole and with a rubber band or piece of twine secure it behind the plastic tube (lower down on the neck of the bag). Not so tight that it constricts the neck of the bag. Remember that you have to shove a needle down this tube without puncturing the walls!

Now, cover the hole with a piece of tinfoil. Pressure cook your bag or steam it in a pot. The bag will swell up a lot, so a larger pot is advisable. Try to keep the bag off of the bottom of the pot. The bag generally wont melt the whole way through, but it will look pretty messed up if your pot runs low on water and starts to melt it.

If you dont have a pressure cooker, avoid using grains. Try straw. It can be sterilized at below boiling temps. And at even lower temps it is simpley pastuerized. As long as your bag stays sterile inside, your won't have a problem with contamination. However, grains need to be cooked at high temps and should never be tried without a PC as it will result in a very stinky mess.

Shake your bag when it is done. Or, if it is too hot, break it up through the bag when it is cool.

Innoculating:

Innoculation is the single most common contamination point. Using sterile lab technique can never be stressed enough. On the other hand, using a sterile bag will reduce your contamination hazards drasticly since you only innoculate at one point and your mushrooms will be growing inside the bag in a sterile environment.

Lay your bag down. Arrange it so that the bottle cap is touching the substrate on the inside of the bag. Make sure you pull all of the plastic out of the way. Now, using sterile lab technique which will not be gone into detail here, plunge the needle through the coffee filter and down the tube of the bag directly into the substrate. Empty the whole needle into it. Its not wasting if it goes to good use and makes your bag grow faster. Make sure you dont puncture the plastic at any time. Remove the needle and cover with another coffee filter and secure it the same as the last one. Once again, make sure not to constrict the whole too much as your bag will need to breath.

The coffee filters are sterile as long as pull the freshly out of the plastic and dont use the one that has been siting on top if you bag of filters is already open.

Alternative:

Instead of shooting through the hole you can just inject through the side of the plastic as long as you cover the whole with a piece of tape. The tape must never come off, though, or you are screwed. The tape adhesive is sterile, too. NOTHING can live on tape adhesive. If you only knew the volatile chemicals they made adhesive out of, you would probably never lick another envelope.

Growing:

Mix up the substrate to get the spores mixed up in there. When you see about 10 - 30% growth in your bag then break it up and mix it well. Dont do this more than once or even twice. Too much and hinder the growth.

Set the bag in a warm dark place until it is fully colonlized. You dont need a heating pad, but a temps not to exceed 86 degrees f will speed things up. Once your bag stats sprouting mushrooms you can just sit back and watch it happen. CONTRARY to popular belief, your mushrooms do not need any direct light and do not need a lighting system. If there is enough light in you closet to see your hand in front of you, then that is MORE than enough light.

You can wait until it is time to pick your first flush or only wait until your bag is done colonizing to open it. Once you open your bag you can case your substrate and expect consequent flushes.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Could anyone add anything to that? I'm starting my first try at growing, so I want optimum efficiancy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Tek Given to me by Snowspeed1... [Re: MTML]
    #2648901 - 05/07/04 02:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If it's your first grow, my buddy would start with PF Tek, then go from there. Doing it PF the first couple times familarizes you with the life cycles of mushrooms along with various other helpful things.

-J

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: Tek Given to me by Snowspeed1... [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #2648907 - 05/07/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know a person who agrees with FunkyBudah.... 
:smoking:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation