Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker
    #2631438 - 05/03/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi,
I am new to this and thank you all for all the great info. I am really excited to get started growing. I am using what looks to be great instructions here: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7919/pag/0

I bought a pressure cooker from target and am having a difficult time because it doesn't have a psi gauge. Also in the instructions for the pressure cooker, there are no directions for sterilizing jars. I got 1/2 pint jars and used the sterilization function in my dishwasher to get them clean initially. After I mix up the substrate, the directions say to cover the lid with aluminum foil. does this mean to cover the ring as well as the sealing lid? or should I put the aluminum foil over the sealing lid and then add the ring? Then, does anyone have an idea of how much water to add? Is the water supposed to cover the jars? Do I need to use a trivet or a steamer to hold the jars in the pressure cooker (mine didn't come with either)? How tightly am I supposed to put the lid on before sterilizing? I am afraid if I do it tightly, like the directions indicate, the bottles will explode. Also I am worried about getting the sterilizing water in the holes in the lids if they are just covered with aluminum foil.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Namaste!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMoGuerilla
New Face in theCrowd
Loc: MidWesternUSA
Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2631491 - 05/03/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Be sure you have already punched holes in the 'sealing lids'...

>>>or should I put the aluminum foil over the sealing lid and then add the ring?

A: Put the foil over the whole thing. That way you don't have to open the ring to get to the innoc. holes.

>>>Then, does anyone have an idea of how much water to add?

A: About 1/2 up the bottom jar(s) should be fine.

>>Do I need to use a trivet or a steamer to hold the jars in the pressure cooker (mine didn't come with either)?

A: No. Right on the bottom is just fine.

>>>How tightly am I supposed to put the lid on before sterilizing?

A:Real tight, just like the directions say.

>>>Also I am worried about getting the sterilizing water in the holes in the lids if they are just covered with aluminum foil.

A: You will, but not enough to hurt anything. Nominal amounts really. If you're that concerned about it double-wrap with foil.

Optionally, add a 1/4 cup of White Vinegar to keep everything cleaner. Otherwise there will be hard-water stains on everything.

Good luck.
~MG

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: MoGuerilla]
    #2631567 - 05/03/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you. Do you mean 1/2" above the bottom of the jars or enough water to cover the bottom 1/2 of the jars?

Also, can the jars be touching each other, or will they break? Thanks again :P

Namaste

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineMoGuerilla
New Face in theCrowd
Loc: MidWesternUSA
    #2631847 - 05/03/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Enough to cover 1/2 the bottom jar. And they'll be fine if they're touching.
~MG

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2632806 - 05/03/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If you are using a pressure cooker without a pressure guage you should read the instruction book and look for the psi rating it has.
Most I have seen run at 15psi ,which is perfect,but some run at 10psi. This is very important in relation to the time you need to pressure cook your jars. The 10psi cookers will need to be let go a bit longer given the lower temp inside. You can just put a dishtowel in the bottom to keep your jars from cracking from the direct heat.

Good Luck
MYKEY

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Mykey]
    #2632876 - 05/03/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you all. My instruction book says nothing about the psi unfortunately. I guess next time I will try 90 minutes with more water.

I tried sterilizing the substrate today (with the dishtowel in) and the water about 1.5-2" over the jars and ran out of water. I will dump those and try again later with more water like MoGuerilla suggested. I was afraid the water would boil up and get into the jars. As long as I'm not innoculating, I guess I can afford some trial and error with the substrate. I will just chuck the used stuff into the garden, maybe something good will grow there!

--------------------

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2632923 - 05/03/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

you must have your heat way to high to loose that much water. i put in 1" and still have some left after 90 minutes. If this has a weight to regulate the pressure make sure it is at a steady jiggle

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: FallenShroom]
    #2632939 - 05/03/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have an electric stove? I do and had it (on a scale of one to ten) at about 9. If you have the time, what would you suggest? I have been using the search a lot today but didn't see anything about that...Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineMagicGirL
I'm Rich, Bitch!

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: MoGuerilla]
    #2633673 - 05/03/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I dont use the tin foil or poke holes in the tops of the jars....I just put the jar lids on until they "catch" (upside down) put in a glass of water in bottom of pressure cooker, but my gas on med - high and let it go for about 30 minutes.

Am I supposed to be doing something more special? My first "crop" is growing like crazy, and am doing my second round.

--------------------
I may have lost my virginity, but I still have the ORIGINAL BOX it came in :smile:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2634388 - 05/03/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You should try this Phishgrrl. First cover your jars with foil and put them into the cooker on the dish towel. Take the little weight off of the lid on the cooker and turn your electic stove on like one notch over medium. You want a slow build up to avoid cracking jars from heating too quickly. When the steam starts to shoot out of the little spout put the weight back on top.(Be carefull that steam will burn the hell out of ya) It should start to wiggle at a rythmic pace that is kinda smooth,not like crazy fast with water and steam blasting out. You want to start timing at this point and let them go about an hour and a half to be sure you killed all the bad guys and then take it off the burner and let it cool. I think it is best to leave the jars in the cooker until you are ready to innoculate just to keep them from being exposed to the open air where they get stuff settling on top of them. I would only do it this way if you were planning on nocc'in em up the next day. If not I would store them in the fridge with the foil still on. Hope this is a help to ya Phishgrrl! Good Luck!

MYKEY :mushroom2: :goodluck:

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#2636329 - 05/04/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Mykey, for the help. I (actually not me, I turned this project over to afoaf after some thought) I mean-she- did another experiment last night and found out the right amount of water- like MoGuerilla said- it was 1/2 way up the jars. There was barely any water left after 90 mins, but the dishtowel was still wet. Her PC doesn't have a weight so she can't exactly follow your directions but she thinks she may have it figured out. She cooked it mostly just below the medium point of the dial this time.

Namaste!

--------------------

OfflinebmwX5
Stranger
    #2637721 - 05/04/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

6 qt PC is small! u must have alot of time to spare! go on Ebay and order a big one!

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: bmwX5]
    #2638242 - 05/04/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ARRGH! The 6 qt was just purchased, do you think I should take it back? I thought about ebay...maybe i will.

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2638281 - 05/04/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Her pc really doesnt have a weight? I guess I have never seen one that doesnt. How does it keep pressure constant. It must have some other means of relieving excess pressure so it doesnt explode. You'll have to explain this one to me. My mind is racing trying to visualize how your weightless cooker works!!!

Thanks
MYKEY

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#2638344 - 05/04/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I guess you would call it a bobble, but it isn't removeable.

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2638470 - 05/04/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OH! You kinda had me goin there for a minute. So it is a weight but it isnt removable. OK that makes sense. I guess in your case you start your 90 min when the bobble start to wobble! Ha! I had a small five quart once made by Kirby&Allen that had a bobble that had a spring loaded ball bearing inside that held it on the little steam spout(for lack of cooler terminology;I'm sure you have a better word for it than spout-LOL). You had to give it a pretty good little tug and it would pop right off. Yours might do that,but dont break it trying or anything. I havent ever seen one that you couldnt take off since the spout sometimes gets stopped up and needs to be cleaned out.

MYKEY

--------------------

OfflineDr. Greenthumb
HipHopHead 4Life

#2638717 - 05/04/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I just went out and bought a PC. Just to clairify: Put the lids on the 1/2 pint jars TIGHT when I put them in the PC?

Edited by Dr. Greenthumb (05/04/04 08:39 PM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Dr. Greenthumb]
    #2638728 - 05/04/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yes , go ahead and tighten them down.

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Dr. Greenthumb]
    #2638733 - 05/04/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yes,put them on tight and cover them with aluminum foil to keep the water out. Make sure you already have your innoculation holes in the lid to prevent creating a vacuum inside the jars. Cover the holes with some kink of porous tape like painters masking tape or bandage tape. If you get a vacuum you will be surprised when your whole syringe gets sucked in as soon as you poke the needle in the first hole.

MYKEY

--------------------

OfflineDr. Greenthumb
HipHopHead 4Life

#2638757 - 05/04/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mykey said:
Yes,put them on tight and cover them with aluminum foil to keep the water out. Make sure you already have your innoculation holes in the lid to prevent creating a vacuum inside the jars. Cover the holes with some kink of porous tape like painters masking tape or bandage tape. If you get a vacuum you will be surprised when your whole syringe gets sucked in as soon as you poke the needle in the first hole.

MYKEY

I got the holes in there and put the tinfoil over the lids but didn;t use tape. They're cooking now. Will that still be OK with only tinfoil? (one layer)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck