Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26256390 -

Ok cool thank you for the information...

So I ended up pulling 3 of the 8 initial dishes and opened them up outside the house to take a pic so you can see it well in a lit area... these 3 were ones that I hadnt touched, regarding taking agar cuts from.  When I put my nose to all 3 of them, smelt EXACTLY like fresh mushrooms. They dont seem to be contam'd at all do they?  Obviously Im not going to use these to innoc at all as they've been exposed to the elements, so I just burried the whole agar plates in a raised garden bed I had outside that also has a coir/verm mix layered on top (was the excess I had left over from my first run). Hoping to see if I give it moisture if anything comes from it lol.





These are the 8 cuttings I took from the 2 separate cloning plates I had shown previously... everything looks like its clean as a whistle so im getting some oats prepped to inoculate here in the next day or two, then plan to do a G2G transfer on all of them to speed up the process. Just want to get your guys' opinion that everything ive done so far look right?
Thanks for all the help and support :smile:




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26256461 -

Those plates are indeed looking grand. You'll want to start taking smaller transfers though. Big chunks like that just up your chances of not isolating away from something nasty. Other than that, you're looking super fine.

:wellhello:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26256846 -

verum subsequentis said:
Those plates are indeed looking grand. You'll want to start taking smaller transfers though. Big chunks like that just up your chances of not isolating away from something nasty. Other than that, you're looking super fine.

:wellhello:



ok cool, I thought if the agar cuts were bigger it would have more surface area to work with increasing the speed of which the myc grows.  would I use that large of a size of cut to do the A2G transfers? Or never under any circumstance should I use cuts that big?


Also, should I just plan to toss out the other 5 initial clone tissue plates as I now have clean transfers to the new ones?  only reason I havent yet is cause I wasnt sure which type of growth would be better for potential finished weight... the white fluffy type or the stringy type?  I guess I would have to just innoc some jars up to see what the actual results would be huh?  Planning on doing 10 or so 66 qt tubs here soon as my master jars are good to go . :thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26257145 -

on a side note I looked at some of the other plates I squirted a while ago and was shocked with what I saw.

This plate was the SAT, I can pretty much guess it was pretty fucked.... I dont think myc of any kind would grow multi colored with white at the very edges... what kind of mold/bacteria do you think this is?







Next was the F+ strain... wtf is this? This isnt some sort of pin right? Another type of mold?



This is also another dish of F+ but It doesnt look like anything ive ever seen... is it just from me streaking the "z" with the inoculation loop? 



Looks like the PESA actually took, so i took more cuts to new dishes and see how it grows out.



Lastly, these are what the old plates look like that I never saw any growth on... looked at it through lighting and noticed all those small pieces everywhere, guessing its bacteria so I tossed all of them.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26257200 -

Sorry for this not so helpful comment, but to clarify, mold has mycelium as well. It just sporulates on the mycelium instead of creating large fruiting structures.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: Stephie]
    #26257270 -

Stephie said:
Sorry for this not so helpful comment, but to clarify, mold has mycelium as well. It just sporulates on the mycelium instead of creating large fruiting structures.



Do you think thats what is happening on my first 3 pictures?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26257324 -

mushman1017 said:
Stephie said:
Sorry for this not so helpful comment, but to clarify, mold has mycelium as well. It just sporulates on the mycelium instead of creating large fruiting structures.



Do you think thats what is happening on my first 3 pictures?



Those 3 do indeed look like mold.

The first F+ one has a spot that looks like bacteria (or perhaps yeast). The second F+ I don't see anything in.

I'm not really joking when I say my vision is shite though, so if anyone sees something different, please let it be known :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26257913 -

mushman1017 said:
Ok cool, I thought if the agar cuts were bigger it would have more surface area to work with increasing the speed of which the myc grows.  would I use that large of a size of cut to do the A2G transfers? Or never under any circumstance should I use cuts that big?

Agar isn't really about generating mycelium quickly. We use agar to isolate clean growth away from bacteria, yeast, mold... all the evil shit. This is why we take small transfers. Often times the noob believes he can positively visually identify a clean plate but isn't trained well enough yet to notice the very sneaky bacteria riding along in the culture.  Taking nice small transfers from the best looking areas is the best bet.

When transferring into a grain jar you use more. This is because you've (hopefully) already done the transfers needed to attain a clean culture on agar. You can use the whole plate or cut it into pizza slices and noc up a bunch of jars. You can do as many jars as you want, really. But speed is helpful when colonizing grain. I'd recommend a plate to four quarts as a good starting place.


Also, should I just plan to toss out the other 5 initial clone tissue plates as I now have clean transfers to the new ones?  only reason I havent yet is cause I wasnt sure which type of growth would be better for potential finished weight... the white fluffy type or the stringy type?  I guess I would have to just innoc some jars up to see what the actual results would be huh?  Planning on doing 10 or so 66 qt tubs here soon as my master jars are good to go .

If they are clean you can save them and look for pins to form. These are nice for easily getting clones that usually do alright. Or you can make up some more jars and throw them in there. Or you can trash them. Or you can leave them laying around for your observation. It's a good idea to observe a lot. If you really want to get good at something, the best thing to do is spend a lot of time with it. Just watching old plates grow will teach you a lot of things. Like, for instance, why many people fear the edges of the dish and most recommend not using the edges .:thatsayes:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26257927 -

Stephie is correct. My thoughts, in order of the pics; Mold, mold, mold, bacteria or yeast, streak marks, possibly cube myc but not looking too hot, and that last plate.... is just hell.

They are all complete trash except for the second to last plate, which is just maybe trash. I'd need a better picture to be sure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26259939 -

Ok
verum subsequentis said:
mushman1017 said:
Taking nice small transfers from the best looking areas is the best bet.



Just watching old plates grow will teach you a lot of things. Like, for instance, why many people fear the edges of the dish and most recommend not using the edges .





So what determines a "best looking area"? The black, red, or yellow circled areas? I still dont know what to look for other than what seems to grow and expand out the fastest...



Also notice the color of the center piece inside the blue? That was obviously the original agar I transferred from.  Is it a little mis colored cause I flipped it upside down and the myc covered it and made it look weird? Or is that possible bacteria?

I will prob only use 4 of the 8 dishes that are growing out now to inoculate 6 jars I have as masters, then will use those for 60 jars after. The other 4 dishes should I wrap with the inch of cling wrap and throw in zip locks and in the fridge to hold out for a later time? Should I wait for them to grow out to the edge to get the most out of it or make sure to throw it in the fridge before it ever touches the sides?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26260736 -

Also just did my first agar to grain... mostly went smooth except this one big chunk got stuck to the side of the jar myc flat against the glass, ugh.  Will it be ok and eventually colonize or do I need to go in there and use the xacto knife to pull it away from the glass so its contacting grain?




Doing a test... 3 quart jars are being innoc'd with one big ass chunk, and 3 jars have 3 separate pieces in them. Im assuming the 3 pieces will colonize faster but we shall see.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First time grow... confused about some of the stages... [Re: mushman1017]
    #26260796 -

mushman1017 said:
So what determines a "best looking area"? The black, red, or yellow circled areas? I still dont know what to look for other than what seems to grow and expand out the fastest...






So, the red is what you would call rhizomorphic growth and can usually indicate healthy growth in a less dense nutritive medium... mostly because you can actually see what's going on in any given area of the culture's growth. It can, however, mean it's growing fast to avoid something like a competitor.

The black and yellow are what you would call tomentose growth and can also indicate healthy growth in a more dense nutritive medium. However, many molds exclusively employ tomentose mycelia, so, with early transfers, it is a bit of a toss up as to what you have going on. Hence the desired rhizomorphic growth.

Seeing as your plates have inconsistent growth, it should be assumed that something undesired is present that is causing that inconsistency. So, your best bet will be to take a small transfer from one of the extremities of the rhizomorphic area growth. Red.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bulk Growing AlphaWave 4,984 3 10/22/01 05:02 PM
by phrozendata
* Help needed very confused Anfalicious 759 10 01/29/02 05:00 AM
by puscle
* grain transfers and spore printing esin 1,382 1 05/22/02 06:12 AM
by angryshroom
* I am still confused on the abort issue..... NewbieShroomer 1,886 9 12/01/01 04:18 AM
by lemming
* Complete Professional Growing Tek
( 1 2 3 all )
bluhoney 24,235 43 04/15/24 03:10 PM
by stasis
* Re: Shut up and grow! Tec-9 2,386 11 04/19/01 06:42 AM
by dbs_mother
* Help help my ... my grow kit rookieGe 4,952 6 06/05/02 05:55 AM
by UHID
* Re: Shroom Wizard's Grow Guide -- Question.. BoomerZ 2,191 12 05/16/00 09:31 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,223 topic views. 5 members, 33 guests and 127 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 17 queries.