Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWSP1013
Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow?
    #2569460 - 04/16/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

After reading some of the recent posts about casing problems due to airflow and whatnot i have given it some thought.

My idea was if you are using the disposable baking trays... could you poke small holes over the bottom of the casing... then cover with tyvek to let air in but not let moisture out... sterlize the tyvek/baking tray... then just put the lower layer of vermiculite on top of the sterilized tyvek... would this work?

I could see this helping alot with the PMP and casings... if a problem with the casings is that the air from the airstones is not penetrating the casings... would the small holes help the air rising from the airstones exchange the old CO2 with new oxygen in the casing?

just an idea-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: WSP1013]
    #2569495 - 04/16/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

And yet a few fans a day resolve every thing and people are trying to invent new thing the best is to keep it simple

--------------------

OfflineWSP1013
Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: FallenShroom]
    #2569557 - 04/16/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

im talking about a PMP setup...

I just think if there were some small holes on the bottom of the baking tray that would let in oxygen, but not let moisture leak out, the airstones could be alot more effective, as well as the PMP for doing casings.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: WSP1013]
    #2569661 - 04/16/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

WSP1013 said:
My idea was if you are using the disposable baking trays... could you poke small holes over the bottom of the casing... then cover with tyvek to let air in but not let moisture out... sterlize the tyvek/baking tray... then just put the lower layer of vermiculite on top of the sterilized tyvek... would this work?

I could see this helping alot with the PMP and casings... if a problem with the casings is that the air from the airstones is not penetrating the casings... would the small holes help the air rising from the airstones exchange the old CO2 with new oxygen in the casing?

just an idea-

im trying really hard, just to picture what you're describing, but it's not working out. are you talking about putting tyvek on the bottom AND top of the casing?
"poke small holes over the bottom of the casing"
--what's that suppose to mean? do you mean...poke small holes IN the bottom of the PAN?
"the air from the airstones is not penetrating the casings"
--im pretty new to this myself, but i don't believe air needs to PENETRATE the casing. are you referring to the baking trays as "casing"??

in general, i don't think your method would help any. not much air will actually rise up through your casing (the verm and peat). your casing layer will naturally compact as it takes on moisture.

keep it simple, stupid

OfflineWSP1013
Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: mycoguy]
    #2569692 - 04/16/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah... i think the airstones alone will produce enough air to suffice, just trying to think of a way to maybe make more or larger fruits...

yeah... sorry, i meant to poke small holes evenly over just the bottom of the pan... then cover the bottom of the pan where the holes are to retain moisture, but since tyvek is breathable, it would let the air from the airstones, rise up and somewhat pass through whats in the pan, probabaly helping the airflow around the fruits... i know fanning works just fine, and the airstones at the bottom of the rubbermaid with a screen on lid are sufficient... just seeing if anyone thought this might improve the process somewhat...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: FallenShroom]
    #2569704 - 04/16/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Some people have other things to do than stand around a terrarium all day.

Some people don't spend more than 1-2 waking hours at home a day.

now an automated fan on a timer might be a good idea.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineWSP1013
Re: Possible way to help casing Oxygen/Co2 Airflow? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2569724 - 04/16/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Normally there isnt always the time to be fanning a terrarium, so the PMP would be a good way to help solve the time problem with the airstones/pump (without spending more on timers and whatnot).... I know the PMP is designed around the fruiting of cakes, but the only difference between cakes and what I am talking about is a little less humidity, but basically the same temperature...

with the PMP, to help make up for the difference in RH levels for Cakes/Casings... the screen on the lid could be a little larger to allow for more moisture to escape...

If doing casings in a PMP... should everything should be done the same, but there needs to be a place where some of that moisture can escape (crack lid or something) since with cakes, the humidity is higher?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag