Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Dopamine and me
    #2568435 - 04/16/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's a tad distrubing when I find texts describing how I sometimes think...

Quote:

Moderately high Dopamine levels make us on-guard, suspicious, and prone to misinterpret experiences in the environment. Known as an "idea of reference" in psychiatry, we begin thinking unrelated experiences are suddenly directly related to us. People observed talking across the street are now talking about us. As Dopamine increases, it can become so intense that we feel the radio, television, and newspaper contain secret messages directed at us from Hollywood or elsewhere. It's as though we are attempting to incorporate/add everything we witness into our life. Planes flying overhead are snapping pictures of us and motorists talking on cellular phones are calling in a report on us. Our mind speed increases and races in an attempt to add all we see into our life. In an attempt to make sense, we may become extremely religious, paranoid, or feel we are a very important person. Increased Dopamine also increases the perception of our senses, as though turning up the volume in all our senses ? hearing, vision, taste, smell, and touch. As Dopamine levels increase, the noises we heard loudly suddenly become auditory hallucinations. Our inner thoughts are now being heard outside our body. These "voices" begin talking to us, known to take different forms such as derogatory (putting you down), religious topics, command (telling you to do something), or sexual content. Hallucinations (experiencing something that is not truly there in reality) will soon develop in all our senses. We may begin seeing faces in clouds, carpets, or patterns. We may sense the touch of spirits or movements inside our body. We may experience unusual smells or tastes. High levels of Dopamine in the brain often cause us to lose our contact with reality. As though living in a science-fiction movie, we begin to develop unusual if not bizarre ideas about what is happening to us. With our paranoia, we may experience delusions (false beliefs) of persecution or may think we have super powers (delusions of grandiosity) and can predict the future or read minds. High levels of Dopamine are found in Schizophrenia, drug intoxication, and other psychotic conditions where the ability to distinguish the inner world from the real world is impaired.

Taken from The "Chemical Imbalance" in Mental Health Problems By Joseph M. Carver, PhD.

I wonder, then struggle with what I wonder. How many of my thoughts are non-sense created as a result of my brain chemistry? If it's so easy to dismiss what I could percieve as spiritual...then what's the use in attempting to make a connection inside of myself?

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Dopamine and me [Re: Viaggio]
    #2568505 - 04/16/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I wonder the same thing from time to time. And that's why I'm glad that other people have noticed things that happen in my life, so that I don't have to think I'm just crazy. I know for sure I have low dopamine levels, which is why I'm addicted to working out. Working out raises the dopamine levels.

The symptoms that are described in your reference are also symptoms of bipolar and schizophrenia.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Dopamine and me [Re: Frog]
    #2568561 - 04/16/04 06:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah those are some of the thoughts i've had, now the put me on Haldol to help me out. Not only did I use to smoke a lot of dope. But now I choose to stay sober. I sort of lost my spiritual edge. I use to think more while on certain chemicals.

I can still be spiritual but it's kind of hard to differentiate between my true and false realities that are built into my brain. On one hand i know these thoughts are from a chemical imbalance and on the other hand i try hard sometimes to push most of them away. Leaves me with a sense of loss sometimes.

I still wonder what's out there, always keeping in mind that this reality and the next i face after i die will not have such things as chemical imbalances. Kind of difficult to understand it, but it is very easy to be mislead by certain obscur thoughts.

Alcohol is one thing that releases a lot of dopamine, when the body tends to run on high amounts it will look for more, fiending that extra beer. I guess my brain just likes to play tricks on itself and produce a lot. Who knows the real cause.

My life.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Dopamine and me [Re: Droz]
    #2568704 - 04/16/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Alcohol raises dopamine levels?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2569340 - 04/16/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How many of my thoughts are non-sense created as a result of my brain chemistry?

Which is why I constantly beat the unheeded drum of external verification of conclusions drawn from experiences.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#2569393 - 04/16/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How many of my thoughts are non-sense created as a result of my brain chemistry?

all of them.  :wink:

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#2569446 - 04/16/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

alcohol raises dopamine levels in respons to a rise in BAC. when BAC is rising, so does dopamine, when BAC falls, so does dopamine. This is why ppl tend to keep drinking sometimes. to get that initial rush

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Dopamine and me [Re: ]
    #2569711 - 04/17/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

all of them.
  :nut:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Dopamine and me [Re: Droz]
    #3145614 - 09/16/04 10:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes I feel like I've lost my "spiritual edge" too...whatever that is.

--------------------

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
    #3146073 - 09/17/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Almost all drugs raise dopamine levels or act to mimick dopamine- opiates, alcohol, THC, etc all raise dopamine levels through various different mechanisms- yet they all stimulate the "reward pathway" and can become habituating- opiates do so by reducing the inhibition exerted by GABA on dopamine neurons(just an example). Even LSD is a partial agonist of dopamine receptors. The physical dependence that results from opiates is a result of another mechanism (mu opioid agonist dependence).

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology