Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
It's contaminated, right? Yeah? (Asking for some general information)
    #25486650 -

I bought this sterilized substrate bag from Out-Grow and a B+ spore syringe from Spore Works, feel free to criticise me for shitty suppliers, I'm new to this all and desperately need it. This is my first grow, so I opted to just inject an all-in-one bag and fruit in it, maximum simplicity and minimum risk (I assume). When I inoculated the bag, I flamed the needle until it was red hot and all, but forgot to wipe the injection site with a sanitizer, and that's had me always paranoid, as well as reading lots of reviews on a similar product complaining about contamination.

On the second or third morning after inoculation, on the very top of the vermiculite, was a big growth that I never saw start. The growth was solid white, and the texture didn't look concerning at all, just looked like normal mycelium, but by today has a a decidedly white-brown tint. It may have been a bit larger than 2" by 2" in diameter, it definitely had some mentionable height to it, was very far from the injection site, and seemingly came out of nowhere. Since I've never seen mycelium grow in real time, I wasn't sure if it was abnormal or not, I've illustrated where I inoculated and where the growth appeared in case it matters. This was my main concern as to whether or not it's contaminated, as another detail, it seemed to have little hills of height not consistent with the vermiculite's altitudes. It's hard to get good pictures of this because of the bag, I see the major advantage of glass in this respect, the bag isn't entirely clear by design and the moisture and such inside isn't helping the situation any.



My lesser concern is these spots that have been around about since the large growth came about, I originally dismissed them as growing materials getting stuck to the bag, but it obviously isn't that.



I'm pretty sure it's contaminated, maybe one of you will say otherwise, but I doubt it. My main intention for this post is to clear up some questions I had throughout this process and pertaining to what I do moving forward, so:

1. Is a large, fast growth indicative of contamination?
2. Does the location of the mycelium peeking out matter? Should it necessarily be near the inoculation site?
3. Is it still safe to fruit and consume? I came across a few old threads with the general consensus of "if the mushrooms look fine, they're fine" that seemed to fly in the face of everything else I've heard.
4.If it isn't safe, is there any way to redeem the situation? Such as spreading the substrate outside in appropriate growing materials and hoping for possible fruits down the line for instance.
5. Are my suppliers reputable? If I try this again, who are some solid suppliers?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: It's contaminated, right? Yeah? (Asking for some general information) [Re: RaisedByBats]
    #25487118 -

Sorry to say but likely you've wasted your money...There's no way that the growth on the top could be mycelium being so far away from where you inoculated a couple of days earlier, which looks to have no growth at the site. It's likely that the bag was bad from the supplier, as often happens with kits..If you have any spores left I'd suggest saving them and reading some teks, including easy agar. The main item you're gong to need is a pressure cooker:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: It's contaminated, right? Yeah? (Asking for some general information) [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25491851 -

It looks like I cannot post a new thread... cuz I am a noob I guess. Anyway, I am hoping someone can tell me if this is contamination or if it looks okay? This is 1 of 8 jars. Other 7 have been birthed and are doing great in the SGFC. This one had a stubborn area and some more time was given to it. So, at this point has it fully colonized or has this stubborn area been taken over by something else? It looks like a slightly different color white.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Everything contaminated?? SampleInAJar 2,298 7 11/11/02 02:22 PM
by New Name
* Contamination Identification & Subjugation NutsackRucksack 14,748 4 11/19/20 09:38 PM
by Goat 2020
* Are these contaminated? I’m new to growing. Boost5274 264 6 09/26/18 10:08 PM
by Wing
* Bright red/purple inky contamination oO_wombat_Oo 2,885 3 04/05/03 01:13 PM
by MAIA
* Contaminated Syringes Question Buddha 3,306 6 01/18/02 08:24 AM
by Buddha
* contamination LightBright 1,188 3 04/06/03 11:11 PM
by Karen
* Contaminated Rye Deviant 2,638 6 10/12/09 08:09 AM
by peshii
* Spore production from contaminated cakes. Slipstream 1,811 4 12/29/03 08:06 AM
by MAIA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
368 topic views. 14 members, 53 guests and 114 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.