Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSampleInAJar
Stranger

Everything contaminated??
    #1041784 - 11/10/02 10:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I set up some pf jars last week, and i just looked at them today. Every single one is contaminated with green shit! I have no clue what I did wrong. I sterilized all of the jars as oultined in the teks and I used a brand new syringe needle. I had twelve jars and all of them are green. Does anybody know what I could have done wrong?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
Re: Everything contaminated?? [Re: SampleInAJar]
    #1042696 - 11/11/02 09:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

First question... How did you sterilise them? If you didn't use a pressure cooker then you probably didn't sterilise them. There are many bacteria, and proteins that can withstand boiling for quite some time. Buy a pressure cooker, they're not expensive, a ?25 one can hold three jars and all your mixing utensils, and they're guaranteed sterile.

Second question... is the contamination localised where you injected it or is it spread throughout the substrate? If it is localised where you injected it then you probably have a contaminated syringe. If it's throughout the substrate then see question one above.

If it's a contaminated syringe then either you infected it or it was supplied infected. Remember that human skin (i presume you're human) is teeming with nasty bacteria. Scrub up before doing anything with the spores and drench your hands in tcp to make sure.

I only use spore prints and mix the spores into a small jar that was sterilised inside the pressure cooker with the cakes (once it has all cooled down of course). The syringe i use is also sterilised in the pressure cooker each time along with a knife to scrape off the spores from the spore print. It might all seem a bit OTT, but i never have any contamination problems.

Let me know if you need more help.

OfflineSampleInAJar
Stranger

Re: Everything contaminated?? [Re: Mr Wobblehead]
    #1043104 - 11/11/02 12:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The contamination was only on areas where colonization was present. It is on top of the white mycelia. This confused me because i didn't think bacteria would grow where the mycelia had already colonized.
I didnt use a pressure cooker but I boiled the jars for an hour in a covered pot. And my syringe was straight out of the package. I didnt touch it at all. I really dont have any Idea how they could have gotten infected because I was very cautious and i read all the teks on this site like 3 times. But this was my first go at it. Im gonna try again, but I only have 1 more syringe. So if these dont grow im SOL. I got my syringes from ralphsters, so I assusme that there was no contamination in the spores.
Here are some things that I think I COULD have done wrong, maybe somebody can review them
1) I removed the aluminum foil after sterilizing, and I left it off. So could have bactera entered the jars through the holes on top after I injected the jars?
2) I sucked some air into the syringe before injecting to mix up the spores, could the air have been contaminated?
3) I took the jars out of the water after boiling to cool, because I had to leave the place where I sterilized them.
Thanx for the help man, I'll definitely use a pressure cooker next time, but I think I'm gonna wait until Thanksgiving to start again cause I'm really busy right now.

I just opened one of the jars and there was moisture all over the lid, and the green stuff was covering the top layer of vermiculite

Edited by SampleInAJar (11/11/02 12:58 PM)

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: SampleInAJar]
    #1043306 - 11/11/02 02:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by Morrowind (11/11/02 02:17 PM)

OfflineSampleInAJar
Stranger

Re: Everything contaminated?? [Re: ]
    #1043345 - 11/11/02 02:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome thanx for the advice. I was pretty bummed when I saw the green crap, but I think there are a lot of things that I needed to better. Ill be ready to try it again as soon as I get a chance to set the stuff up.

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: Everything contaminated?? [Re: ]
    #1043535 - 11/11/02 03:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

dunno what that guy is saying- bacteria are killed by boiling, its their spores that take more to kill

So what's the difference? As soon as the conditions become suitable again the spore reverts back to its normal state, Ie., a bacteria. They're essentially one and the same thing when it comes to sterilisation. If you don't kill the spores then you haven't sterilised it. Why else do hospitals and dentists use autoclaves? If things were sterilised by boiling dentists would use a kettle to save money.

I would like to point out that bacteria are evolving all the time. The rice flour that you use could have any type of bacteria in it, spored or not. Rice is grown in many parts of the world and each part of the world has its own bacteria species.

Madagasca, for example, has anti biotic resistant bubonic plague. I'm not suggesting that you'll catch bubonic plague from your rice cakes, I'm just pointing out that all around the world bacteria are evolving and mutating and you really just don't know what you are going to get in your wholemeal rice flour from Vietnam, China, USA or wherever.

Buy a pressure cooker and be done with the lot of them. The amount of money you'll save in fuel will pay for your pressure cooker in about a year. And plus they are the best thing on the planet for making steam sponge pudding in. And also savoury puddings. There are tons of recipes on the net for steamed puddings and most are delicious.

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

#1043571 - 11/11/02 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I would leave the jars in the pan with the lid on until cool. As the jars cool they will suck in air, if they have been removed from the pan and are in a normal environment then they will be drawing in contaminated air.

If you then put you syringe into the contaminated holes then you contaminate your syringe. Remember that each single bacteria in optimum conditions can produce millions in a matter of hours. And your rice cakes are pretty well optimum conditions.

I'd still go with using spore prints from now on. You've obviously got the syringe now, just throw it in with your jars to sterilise it ready for use time and again.

And leave the foil on until you are ready to inject. There's no rush.

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1043725 - 11/11/02 04:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Also make sure you flame steralize your syringe between jars and before the first jar. Also make the needle red hot when you pull in air to shake up the syringe.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum