Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
Contaminated Rye
    #1966137 - 09/30/03 03:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, I?m just going to run down my friends procedure and see if anybody can find any potential problems. He is growing on organic whole grain rye and has (had rather) a syringe of Golden Teacher.

First off my friend put the rye in a pot filled it with water and simmered for about 35min until about 3% of the rye exploded.
Then he proceeded to strain the rye in a colander and run cold water over it until nothing but clear water came through the other side.

He Let it drain for about 10 min, then put rye in 1 quart jars with a filter disk on the top, then fitted two layers of tin foil over the top of each jar.
He then put his jars in a pressure cooker. After the pressure cooker reached 15Lbs he cooked for one hour.

After pressure-cooking, jars were then placed in a oven (it was off) to let cool. With the tin foil still affixed to the top.
When jars were plenty cool enough he turned on the oven on the lowest setting and used the oven tek to inoculate jars.

He took the foil and band off one jar, shook the syringe, wiped the needle down with rubbing alcohol, dried the alcohol off, and inoculated. Then put the band back on and made sure the hole from the syringe was covered by the band. Then proceeded to the next jar doing the exact same as the previous.

After all jars were inoculated my friend put the jars back in the box with a paper towel over them (for extra protection) and the little square of cardboard that comes with jars over that.

To my friends surprise, two days later he saw signs of growth. The next day, he saw signs of contam. He decided to let it to go make sure it was contam. Sure enough, it is. Now on day five the jars are extremely warm to the touch. They have been kept in a room that is between 70-80 degrees. And every jar has contam in it. Anybody see any mistakes here? Ive known this guy for a long time and I know this exact same procedure has worked for him before...many, many times with great success. The only thing different is that he just moved and the source of rye has changed, and also he is trying this new species for the first time. He took pictures but thy don't do it any justice due to the fact his camera SUCKS, so im not going to even bother posting them for him. Any help and my friend would appreciate it. Thanks in advance

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: Deviant]
    #1966626 - 09/30/03 05:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> After the pressure cooker reached 15Lbs he cooked for one hour.

I had a lot of problems with bacillus until I increased my cook time to 1.5 hours.

After you remove the jars from the PC you must shake them up while they are still hot. If you don't, you will end up with dry kernels on top and a wet carmel like crud at the bottom. Almost every problem I had with rye berries went away when I started shaking them up fresh out of the cooker. (thanks Anno for this advice!)

> He took the foil and band off one jar, shook the syringe, wiped the needle down with rubbing alcohol, dried the alcohol off, and inoculated.

Not good enough. Heat the needle up until it is red hot and then inoculate. Squirt just a bit of water out of the needle first to cool the needle down again so you don't kill the spores passing through.

> Then put the band back on and made sure the hole from the syringe was covered by the band.

I actually use masking tape, which I put on before I pc. When it comes time to inoculate, I pull back the tape, inject the solution, and then replace the tape. (I never remove the tape, just peel it back a bit.) I then cover the sterilized tape with a larger chunk of tape to keep it firmly attached.

> The next day, he saw signs of contam.

Toss them. Next time do not innoculate one of your jars. If it contaminates then you know the problem was not with inoculation or contaminated spores.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: Seuss]
    #1966689 - 09/30/03 06:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info, Ill let my friend know. Im sure he will attempt again today.

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Offlinepeshii
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: Deviant]
    #11226380 - 10/11/09 02:23 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Hi!

I just got my first ryes complete colonized (sorry for the crappy spelling...)
and I got some worries about them being contamed!!

I post som pics:

http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81750.jpg
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81749.jpg
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81748.jpg - XL
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81746.jpg - XL

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: peshii]
    #11228456 - 10/11/09 08:27 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

peshii said:
Hi!

I just got my first ryes complete colonized (sorry for the crappy spelling...)
and I got some worries about them being contamed!!

I post som pics:

http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81750.jpg
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81749.jpg
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81748.jpg - XL
http://upload.landslide.nu/upl/p_mando/SNV81746.jpg - XL

Not only is this thread six years old, you're posting pictures on a non-Shroomery site.

Offlineithzilla
Bonafide Jackalope
 User Gallery

Loc: Right behind you!
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: Brennus]
    #11229693 - 10/11/09 11:30 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Absolutely Ignorant

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Offlinepeshii
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Contaminated Rye [Re: ithzilla]
    #11231777 - 10/12/09 10:09 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

well I tought that I can reuse a thread insted of staring a new one!
and I did not know that shroomery offers picture upload, so I uploaded them to a filehost.

No meen at all to be rude or stuff like that, sorry if I made misstakes!

ithzilla, is your comment about me or the rye?

Sorry again!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum