Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
Panaeolus subbalteatus - why Horse and not Cow?
    #2484786 - 03/30/04 06:40 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

Just wondering if anyone has given any thought to this and why it is so. Is there something about the diet of the horse that is different from the cow? Is it due to the composition of the cow dung compared to the horse?

My guess - The hay content in the diet. Whereas cows graze mainly on grass, horses eat mainly hay. And of course, these are also commonly found in a hay stack, so that adds to my assumption.

Of course, it remains, without YOUR confirmation - an assumption.

Anybody have any input? Thanks.

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus - why Horse and not Cow? [Re: Grizzy]
    #2485059 - 03/30/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

>My guess - The hay content in the diet

That'd be my guess as well.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2485216 - 03/30/04 08:28 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

The mushrooms do grow from cow manure in certain fields. Mitchnast gets them in Nova Scotia and GGreatOne2344 gets them in Florida and I found scads on Maui at the 3200 m Maui.

They grow in horse manure composted with rotted hay. Their habitat is mainly hay and then manure mixed woith straw/hay. But they do grow directly ffrom manure but that is extremely rare.

Compost heaps such as that by ANgry Shroom and his images are posted in the shroomery's Ultimnate Shroom Guide in
the Species Section under Panaeolus subbalteatus.

They do not grow directly in Horse manure, which are like giant rabbit dropings.

But do grow in cow manure, but then that is rare.

mjshroomer

And ohg yes, Joshua in Oregon found a lawn c0overed like a rug of them

But then again, that also is extremely rare.

mj

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2485496 - 03/30/04 09:30 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

A likely possibility is the difference in their digestive systems.

Horses have a digestive system like ours, with one stomach.

Cows are ruminants, with 4 stomachs. They do a lot more digestion in there than a horse (or we humans) do. When you see a cow standing and chewing and staring mindlessly off into space, they're actually chewing their cud - food which has already been partially digested in one of their stomachs. When they swallow that, it goes into a different stomach.

The result is that the dung is physically quite different.

Other common ruminants in North America are deer, elk, bison, bighorn sheep, pronghorns, and domesticated sheep and goats.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus - why Horse and not Cow? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2485998 - 03/31/04 12:22 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

yes...mjshroomer says that Pan Subs can grow directly from cow manure,that is 100%correct.I once found one single Pan Sub specimen in the middle of a cow paddie.A very rare find indeed,that was my first ever psychoactive mushroom encounter,and it was great,even though it was just one mushroom,lol....
[]DEACE,
PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract