Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Which languages do you speak? * 1
    #24820679 -

To kick it off, here's a list of the degree of difficulty involved for the typical native English speaker to learn a given language.


Quote:
    Category I: 23-24 weeks (575-600 hours)
    Languages closely related to English

    Afrikaans
    Danish
    Dutch
    French
    Italian
    Norwegian
    Portuguese
    Romanian
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Category II: 30 weeks (750 hours)
    Languages similar to English

    German
    Category III: 36 weeks (900 hours)
    Languages with linguistic and/or cultural differences from English

    Indonesian
    Malaysian
    Swahili
    Category IV: 44 weeks (1100 hours)
    Languages with significant linguistic and/or cultural differences from English

    Albanian
    Amharic
    Armenian
    Azerbaijani
    Bengali
    Bosnian
    Bulgarian
    Burmese
    Croatian
    Czech
    *Estonian
    *Finnish
    *Georgian
    Greek
    Hebrew
    Hindi
    *Hungarian
    Icelandic
    Khmer
    Lao
    Latvian
    Lithuanian
    Macedonian
    *Mongolian
    Nepali
    Pashto
    Persian (Dari, Farsi, Tajik)
    Polish
    Russian
    Serbian
    Sinhala
    Slovak
    Slovenian
    Tagalog
    *Thai
    Turkish
    Ukrainian
    Urdu
    Uzbek
    *Vietnamese
    Xhosa
    Zulu
    Category V: 88 weeks (2200 hours)
    Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers

    Arabic
    Cantonese (Chinese)
    Mandarin (Chinese)
    *Japanese
    Korean
    * Usually more difficult than other languages in the same category.





--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24820680 -

I can read and only read a little Spanish.


--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24820689 -

I actually was trying to learn some Japanese for a while there but looking at that list makes me reconsider. :lol:

I can read, write, and speak a little Quebecois but not as well as I had in high school.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: larry.fisherman] * 1
    #24820691 -

Dutch / English / German and some dabbles in other languages.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24820693 -

I know spanish. Hungarian is for sure one of the hardest. Crazy ass language


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24820695 -

Yo hablo/comprendo Espanol pequeno pero no perfecto.


--------------------
"A single lifetime in this density can accomplish a refinement of Will that might take far longer in a realm where the truth is always visible" - Zii, Confederation of Planets, GFL Station.

"You will then have national and global contact around 2026." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS (PDF Download) - 312 pages! | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:Canned Computer Duster SAB Tek 👨‍🔬 | Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits | R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #24820711 -

I speak English, Italian, Pidgin English, Pig Latin, Jive, and in tongues.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24820725 -

American
took french in grade school that was 40 years ago :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24820753 -

Me old mum used to say I spoke fluent double dutch. This was achieved by flapping the tongue across the lips while humming.
I became quite fluent.
No offence Arse-ant, but it's the closest to any foreign language that I ever got.
Other than than, ouvre le chien.



--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: deucedbi9] * 1
    #24820773 -

French, English, I can almost understand Spanish, Some German


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Patlal] * 1
    #24820784 -

English and Spanish. Lil bit of french and some japanese for fun


--------------------
Vinegar Tom
stay black cocksucker, thats the most important thing - joey coco diaz
Flesh is Weak. All Hail the Machine God!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24820806 -

I only speak English, and can understand a small amount of French if it's written out or spoken slowly. I've never really attempted to speak French to anyone in a real conversation, but I once had a job where this woman who spoke only French was supposed to show me what I was supposed to be doing.


XLCaps said:
I actually was trying to learn some Japanese for a while there but looking at that list makes me reconsider. :lol:



From what I've seen, it seems like the written language is especially tough for English speakers. Two different phonetic alphabets, one just for words of foreign origin, and then a shit ton of Chinese characters to memorize. It sounds like the pronunciations are relatively straightforward to learn by ear or when written out in our alphabet though. A limited number of possible syllables, most of which seem to correspond pretty closely to sounds we use in English aside from a consonant sound that's somewhere between our "r" and "l", and it doesn't seem like there are situations like in Chinese where slight changes to some vowel sound would change the meaning entirely or render it gibberish. The grammar I'm pretty clueless about but I think it's not particularly easy for English speakers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: psi] * 1
    #24820895 -

English & Russian.


--------------------
My Greenhouse, with blueprints!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: TheUpsideDown]
    #24820925 -

I like Russian. It sounds so kewl to my ears :awehigh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #24820950 -

They have a pretty badass looking alphabet too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: psi]
    #24821083 -

Dutch, English, French (mediocre), German (little), some spanish

I actually took a course in Chinese. That was by far the hardest thing I ever tried to learn.

I had twenty classes in total in 2016/2017 and I for real only remember 3 or 4 words


--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24821225 -

I agree french, spanish and portuguese are easy for english speakers. Not so sure about dutch, its closely related to german which is harder but since its a corruption of german it should be simpler just as spanish being a corruption of italian, is easier than italian

german is much harder than the easy languages, unless you mean just speaking broken german, many languages can be spoken that way. I would put german in the 3rd category if you want to speak it correctly. The grammar is a nightmare. I'm just getting to the point I can get it right most of the time and I used to live there. I'm not familiar with the others in 3 so no comment.

4th category is harder, the ones labeled extra hard for english speakers are indeed very hard, some of the others are too

5th is very hard, I studied chinese for a while, its not that hard to simply learn it in the english equivalent, which they do not use in china except perhaps for children. Its not that the grammar is so hard, its the pronunciation, the tones, and above all, the written language. I do disagree that japanese belongs in that category. I do not speak it but have studied it and pronunciation is easy, similar to spanish. The written is hard, perhaps that is why you put it in 5 but from my limited studies, its is not that hard, easier than some of the 4th ones.

I speak 4, have limited under standing of several others. For example italian, since its similar to spanish I can usually figure it out particularly if written, portuguese for the same reason, and a few others like catalan, etc. I would only say I speak anything but english "a little" even though 4 of them I'm fluent in. Fluent does not mean you speak as well as a native. It just means you can carry on a conversation without stopping all the time to think and have a reasonable vocabulary and command of grammar.

Learning a language requires time and dedication, above all practice, practice, practice. When you get to the point you can think in the language instead of thinking in your native language and translating it, you are well on your way to fluency. I run into people who claim to speak 8, 12, or however many but they do not speak them, just a few words, lol.


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #24821241 -

Stupid thing is, I always liked the English language. I think it stems from my early desire to read books in the language they were written in. I still read English predominantly.

This has caused my thinking language to turn into some sort of retarded English/Dutch mixture :facepalm:


--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #24821251 -

english and im  getting pretty good at russian. still have a long way to go though.

I learned french in school and was doing well but i stopped taking it. i can still understand alot of the french parts of labels though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Which languages do you speak? [Re: Asante]
    #24821252 -

I speak American English only.  I say "American" because I cannot understand British, Australian and other English accents.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anyone speak Spanish?
( 1 2 all )
Room4Shroom 2,572 35 06/17/06 06:21 PM
by Newbie
* Can anybody speak Spanish? OJK 850 6 04/29/05 02:17 PM
by Help on the Way
* What languages can u speak?
( 1 2 all )
Delyrium 3,902 39 06/09/05 06:47 PM
by Signo
* My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture
( 1 2 3 all )
exclusive58 7,138 52 02/24/05 07:14 AM
by Krishna
* Conversations with a spanish person LearyfanS 1,085 6 12/08/04 11:36 AM
by Vvellum
* What language should I take?
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 4,847 36 11/10/04 11:44 AM
by Gus
* Languages HELLA_TIGHT 896 13 09/04/05 05:38 PM
by CaptainH13
* . TheHateCamel 773 15 09/16/04 08:55 PM
by cybrbeast

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
739 topic views. 8 members, 357 guests and 90 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.