Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
The system
    #2459688 - 03/22/04 10:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have a friend who is a plumber.  He's very workman, like.  Simple interests and finds it easy to get along with other builder/workman types.

On the surface it would appear that there was no spiritual side to this character.  He can be completely ignorant at times.  When I first befriended this guy, I decided to test how deep his character was.

What I found was that he really could be anything.  He understands spiritual concepts although stated that he choses not to think/talk about these things alot of the time because nobody else is willing too.  As the discussion deepened, it became apparent that he has the intelligence and ability to be far more than the 'workman' he portraits himselve as.  He simply choses to be like that for the sake of getting along well with the people.

It suddenly dawned on me, why not follow society?  It is the easy answer!  People like myself, who question everything become hatefull and distrusting of the establishment because we realise that it is false.  People involved with Shroomism's revolution will understand excactly what I am talking about here.

Music can be a direct reflection of the system.  You have people that listen to bands because they are new or unheard of and you have people who listen to the music all their friends like or what they think will be popular.

What I'm getting at is that we shouldn't dislike people because they follow the system.  They are simply taking the most obvious, most logical route through life.  If we want to change this general outlook then we will have to change the entire system!  :nut:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: The system [Re: Ego Death]
    #2459720 - 03/22/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I still think the only way to have astronomic change is to have an astronomic cataclysm to wipe the slate clean. Then hopefully those who have mastered themselves will be able to teach others the same.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinegreenhaze
one toke overthe line

Loc: the severed garden
    #2459806 - 03/22/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

--------why not follow society? It is the easy answer!
that's fine if you wanna take the easy way out, but be careful or you might start lying to yourself...just try to get along with everyone, while being yourself...

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2459929 - 03/22/04 01:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Why should you choose to like everyone in the first place? There are some types of character I just can't get along with... ever (bigots, mostly). Giving in is the easiest option, but the most workable option while staying true to yourself is probably bending the rules a little.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2460215 - 03/22/04 02:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Society isn't the problem, it is the way it is set up currently and the general attitudes that people are raised to cultivate.

Society is what we have as humans and it is apparently essential to our species. We don't have to change the system per se... we need to bring about positive, personal change, and then spread that through to the people around us. :thumbup:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2460276 - 03/22/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you can't change the world, change yourself

This idea might work for some ... i respect that. I wonder if this is the case were ignorance is a bliss, or could it be that showing ignorance gets you in less trouble ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: The system [Re: MAIA]
    #2460318 - 03/22/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I betcha most of that plumber fella's 'workmanlike' friends are doing the same thing he is. It'd be nice if one could spread personal change through the people around us, but there's this wierd social aversion to spiritual discussion.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: The system [Re: Panoramix]
    #2460550 - 03/22/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well Hey You cant be everybody friend, I have tryed and in the end people will just try to walk all over you. No matter how friendly you try to be, so hey dont be everyboady friend.

Some people are good other are dicks most I would rather avoid for there Ignorance. So nothing wrong with not likeing certain people as they probably dont like you. Also dont follow society you might just fall asleep again.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Re: The system [Re: EvilGir]
    #2460674 - 03/22/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Their Ignorance is just another type of Wisdom. Even if it's destructive and unpleasant they're no more asleep than any of the rest of us. They're just having a bad dream. But yeah, if someone needs avoiding, then by all means avoid them. Best way to avoid confrontation and conflict.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
    #2460701 - 03/22/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>there more asleep than any of the rest of us. They're just having a bad dream.

Well I dont realy agree with that one, Psychedelics have awekend my mind I am not one of the masses. I dont follow trends or drool over whos gona win the next reality tv show. I try not to be part of the sytem like many other people out there.
But after all I come from the uk where there is a class system i try not to be a part of. But i guess unless your over here you would probably wont under stand.

But I am awake I aint no sheep.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Re: The system [Re: EvilGir]
    #2460764 - 03/22/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, sounds like you've awakened from that ugly collective consumptive dream to this charming little... umm... 'reality'. Sure...
Care to wake up from that dream of 'you'? Yeah, me neither. I'm having fun with this and there's always time. But I will one day.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineFiddleMyDiddle
Keyboard Samurai

Loc: Trapped inside my mind..
    #2460772 - 03/22/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Its all relative... 

If you want to be part of a "social" circle that in some way benefits you physcially, spirtually,
emotionaly, or monitarily, then most likely you will contribute and converse amongst those
people and in part become better "known" with them.  I.E. your job enviro., philosophers, ravers, clubbers, hippies, (insert social nomenclature here),  etc.

The opposite is true for most modern day people, if they don't have a purpose then why try
and meet them? Can you hook me up?  Can you help explain this problem? If not, then nm.

Most people ususally project the part of themself that would most likely couple with whoever their addressing, its not false, or rude, its merely a way of establishing contacts (and being a good listener :smile: )

Of course, you still have to have a personality, a way of doing and thinking, that will define you to yourself.  Otherwise, all that hard networking personna will be lost because others will
see you are merely a puppet for the masses.  But hey, some people like that attitude in others .

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you're all the same.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Re: The system [Re: FiddleMyDiddle]
    #2460842 - 03/22/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Of course, you still have to have a personality... that will define you to yourself"

Do I? Well, where do I get one? This things should be generated spontaeniously in response to a given situation if you ask me. And maybe you don't really need one at all. I like it when my actions surprise myself. If you find yourself doing stuff that is "so not you" then I guess it just means your perception of your personality isn't very accurate. Given that who 'you' are is changing constantly it's hard to keep up, really.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineFiddleMyDiddle
Keyboard Samurai

Loc: Trapped inside my mind..
    #2460889 - 03/22/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Well, where do I get one?"

Asking others seems pointless doesn't it?

"This things should be generated spontaeniously in response to a given situation if you ask me"

Unfortunately, although I belive ideas and actions happen spontaniously, MOST people tend to put them through a thought process before "application." Weighing out options, etc. Some people work totally on impulse, which is fine, its part of their personality.

Things that are "so no you" tend to become "so you" if they fit within your perception of
what you need to be doing right now. I never said the personality of any given person was
static. It is higly dynamic, but for many, I'm sure their are roots to the type of person you are.

--------------------
You laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you're all the same.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology