Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
The refreshing compassion of people
    #2392919 - 03/02/04 12:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Tonight I was trying to find a residential address in the suburbs of a metropolis.  I had the opportunity to unload a moving truck and make some money.

The area was unfamiliar to me and the residential areas around this place are a maze.  After about 20 minutes of being lost, I spot an affluent looking woman walking with her dog.  I roll down my window and say "Can I ask you for directions?"

She looks at me and continues to walk away.

"Thank you very much, I appreciate it."  I say.

She breaks into a run.

A few minutes later, I spot a man at a mail box.

"Sir could you tell me where 14420 w 139 place is?"

"This is 14738.  These streets are weird."

He hurridly walks back to his house.

I drive around for some time and night falls.  It is dark and I am in an unfamiliar area.  My front passenger tire blows out.  My car swerves and I hit a drainage ditch.  As I inspect the damage, someone yells out at me from their second story window.

"What did you just do?"

"I had a blow out and hit the curb."

"Bullshit, you're drunk, I'm calling the police."

"Fine, I'm changing my tire."

I put my spare on only to realize it is flat.  I have a 12 volt air compressor that works on a car lighter, but mine is broken.  I go ring the doorbell of the people that yelled at me to ask to use their car lighter.  Of course they don't answer.

I gather everything of value in my car (which was about 50 pounds of text books and tools) and walk over two miles in a city that has about 1-2 murders a night.  I find a public phone and call a parent to pick me up.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the refreshing compassion of people. :lol:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: The refreshing compassion of people [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2393003 - 03/02/04 12:47 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Damn man. What a horrible evening. You got to be careful... but damn. Yelling "your drunk, im calling the police" is a little absurd... They could have at least called the police. Liars too... Well maybe they will realize that they shouldnt be too judgemental.. they too scared  :shake: .

--------------------
What?

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2393188 - 03/02/04 01:48 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

...and if you had been in the suburbs or out in the country people would likely be helpful ~with a smile even~

I've met people who literaly wouldn't tell you the time of day in the cities, too much trouble I guess to lift that heavy gold watch and mutter a few words...But put that same person in a country setting and I bet their whole disposition will change.

Perhaps sensorary input is over-loaded in cities, putting people on the defensive.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2394508 - 03/02/04 11:44 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Would you consider yourself compassionate towards others?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinefirstrays
Title? We don'need nosteeenkingtitle!
Male

Loc: TX
    #2394724 - 03/02/04 01:08 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Interesting story. It just so happens that there are ass-holes *everywhere*, not just in the cities. There are areas of Georgia and Alabama that I wouldn't stop unless I was near death and needed medical attention... there are places in West Texas where a farmer wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

And yet, in some of the largest cities in this country, I have found truly insightful and helpful people. I've gotten perfect directions from a random person on the street in NYC, I've been offered rides while stuck on the side of the road in Dallas, and was given grande tours of Las Vegas by many a local.

--------------------
Everybody knows you love me baby, everybody knows that you really do. Everybody knows that you've been faithfull, awww, give or take a night or two.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: The refreshing compassion of people [Re: psyka]
    #2394905 - 03/02/04 02:08 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

>> Would you consider yourself compassionate towards others?

This is an important question.  The best disposition to bring these kinds of encounters is a compassionate one.  They, if behaving this way out of anger, ignorance, or fear, are only suffering from these actions and their causes.  There is no bliss to be found in behaving angrily toward others, only a deepened sense of isolation.  By the same token, angrily criticizing those who behave inconsiderately brings only the same results, with the added suffering of hypocrisy.  Hypocrisy is a harmful mental action which fosters self-doubt.  Understanding this, we can view these types of enounters as an excellent opportunity to deepen one's own sense of compassion for the sufferings of countless individuals, to purify one's own negative mental actions, and to create many potentials for future happiness.

In a town with one or two murders a night, it's perfectly understanable how many people would be gripped with fear, and feel quite guarded against their neighbour.  I couldn't imagine living near such a statistic.  :eek:  Where I live, there are one to two murders per year.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: The refreshing compassion of people [Re: Ped]
    #2395012 - 03/02/04 02:33 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Would you consider yourself compassionate towards others?

Yeah I do. I help people when I can. I don't run away from those seeking help.

Quote:

By the same token, angrily criticizing those who behave inconsiderately brings only the same results, with the added suffering of hypocrisy.

True. I wasn't really angry when this happened, and as a matter of fact, I think it's kind of funny right now. I wish I had it on tape when the woman ran away from me.

Now that I think about it, that was a blessing in disguise. Have you ever asked a woman for directions???

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology