Kickle said: So I can't quite figure out why I'm so driven by compassion. And I'll provide a little context about what I mean by "drive". Icelander and other dog trainers are probably familiar. But essentially, and in general, I am more motivated to be compassionate than I am to eat. I am more motivated to be compassionate than I am to play. I am more motivated to be compassionate than I am to be praised. So if there is a chance to be compassionate I am extremely motivated to do so. I'm motivated by food, motivated by play, and motivated by praise, but they all take a back seat to compassion. And I can't figure out why that is. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Anyone have some insight on this?
Compassion is shared suffering, generally producing a desire to alleviate the suffering of others. People say they try to avoid drama, yet generally find their way into some. People say they want to mind their own business, but they can't seem to help but be curious about others. People work to relieve themselves of their troubles... and when they find they have none they go looking for some more.
Being compassionate is a means of creating social connections. If you save someone's life, or just relieve them of a burden they will think you're an awesome person. They might even spread the word about how awesome you are. Compassion is generally considered an active expression of love, so when you love people you get loved back.
There's a methodical way of looking at love, and you can figure out why you love in the same way you can figure out why you eat and play. But these understandings have an open ended beginning. We eat to stay alive. Why do we stay alive? Because we fear? Why do we fear? Either "I don't know", or circular logic "We fear to stay alive".
There ain't no explaining anything. But pondering it has utility too. So I don't know why you're driven by compassion, but it's an interesting subject. The variance could be explained by the amount of 'karma' an individual experiences. You may be more compassionate than others because you have less trouble on your own plate. Some people may be too busy to be compassionate.
-------------------- rahz
comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace I am I feel I do I love I speak I see I know
why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.
|