Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinef8L
Triumph

Gourmet Mushrooms Business?
    #921974 - 10/01/02 08:09 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Howdy all,

I'm entering a business idea competition for my school-- The idea revolves around working with local farmers, in which I use their facilities and retain a portion of profits to produce gourmet mushrooms in the local area.

This concept is definately in "BETA" form, and need all the advice I can get if this idea is "feasible" -- IE-- WORKS ON PAPER. I know a lot about growing mushrooms and think this idea would actually have a chance at succeding in my area, but need to work out logistics of the Business plan..

Does anyone have any advice (of course I've read many of the books regarding gourmet mushrooms include Stamets "Growing Gourmet... Mushrooms"..

I know this sounds really cheesy but am looking to get some feedback, thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: f8L]
    #923285 - 10/01/02 04:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms Business? [Re: f8L]
    #923882 - 10/01/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I don't grow for business but I know a guy who grows shiitake for many years.
Be careful when calculating the predicted amount of mushrooms that you can grow. It takes many years of experience to achieve yields described in Stamets books. One big problem is also constant production. For example if you loose one crop because of contamination the customers get another supplier and you're out of business.

Edited by zeronio (10/01/02 07:57 PM)

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #925243 - 10/02/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This site: http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/mushroom.html, while aimed at farmers who want to diversify--and not so much at stand alone mushroom cultivators--has some coverage of market research and marketing specific to mushroom cultivation. It also lists some resources that might help you get some useful statistics and anecdotes from the industry.

I have not seen any feasibility studies published on the internet for mushroom cultivators.
Mushrooms can also be used in waste management, compost production, and in other ways besides edibles. So don't give up if the edible market looks bad.

OfflineE_morel
Stranger
    #932300 - 10/04/02 02:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The trick is to utilise a freeand abundant resource

in forested areas this might be sawdust, in cerealgrowing areas straw, in sugar cane areas bagasse etc...

you must be able to supply your substrate at next to nothing.. theres your margin.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms Business? [Re: E_morel]
    #935091 - 10/05/02 06:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Adding to that....

There are places where you can get sawdust or straw for little more than transportation costs....also, off-cuts from lumber yards can be begged -- all you need is access to a wood-chipper.

Then there's the opportunity to sell used substrate as animal feed supplement.

Also factor in the potential of dried, mail-order mushrooms....especially medicinals.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Anonymous

#966103 - 10/16/02 02:11 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ur working on a school project and ur developing a model ...  i can help u design enviormental sytems for the project during my spare time but i would need information regarding the size of the area?s temperature and humidity ranges as well as the materials the buldings are made of and where this will be located

i would recommend prefabricated steel buldings that could be used as one large open area or compartmentalized for smaller, isolated area?s... they come in many sizes and can be preinsulated at the factory for many different ambient loads. they are excellent values and some in my immediate area are still in use today after 40 years... the technology is improved...

experienced growers here could recommend species to grow... in the area i live fresh shitake sells for 12 - 15 dollars a pound fresh for restaurants and health care.... even higher prices for reishi miatake and others ..... again.... experienced growers need to give u feedback because u need to know what are the pluses and minuses to each species...  i?m on a steep learning curve myself...

ironically i imagined operating a mushroom farm sometime in the future... what ur doing is cool and i look forward to trying to help you put it all together... i hope others will get involved also... i would ask  1 favor ... if u present a model plan ... would u send all involved a copy of what u present?

good luck

:smirk:

Anni 

Offlineanthiawe
friendly stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Gourmet Mushrooms Business? [Re: Anonymous]
    #23470272 - 07/23/16 06:53 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

i'm always so damn late...12 years last post, 13 years this post....damn, thats a long time!

--------------------
TEK compendium

Invisiblemicelio
Song of Silence
 User Gallery

Re: Gourmet Mushrooms Business? [Re: anthiawe]
    #23471013 - 07/23/16 11:48 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

anthiawe said:
i'm always so damn late...12 years last post, 13 years this post....damn, thats a long time!

:lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract