Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Tips or tricks for agar slants?
    #2275310 - 01/26/04 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I store backup cultures of my gourmet/medicinal species on slants in cultures tubes.  (Aside:  they last a heck of a lot longer than just a few months, which is contrary to some of the anti-slant propaganda I've seen floating around the board).  However, I work primarily with petris because I absolutely  loathe  trying to get mycelium out of culture tubes.  But of course, you have to go back to the mother strain from time to time, so...

I was wondering if any of the tissue culture gurus here have any tips or tricks on teasing tenacious mycelium out of a culture tube/slant.  My scalpel doesn't fit in the tube, and my inoculating loop fails miserably at lifting off mycelium:  I usually end up making a scraped up mess of half the slant just trying to get one tiny mycelial fragment onto the loop. :shocked:

Are there other tools or methods I might try when fishing in a slant? :confused:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Tips or tricks for agar slants? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2275333 - 01/26/04 06:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>Are there other tools

A long thin scalpel that does fit the slant.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2275341 - 01/26/04 07:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm using a metal nut pick at the moment lol  :grin: :nut:

It's used for pulling the meat out of cracked nuts and works very well! Of course you wipe it down with alcohol first before using it.  :smirk:

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Tips or tricks for agar slants? [Re: Anno]
    #2275647 - 01/26/04 09:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
A long thin scalpel that does fit the slant.

I use a 15 blade on my scalpel, which fits inside the tube. The handle, however, does not. In my surgical travels I have not seen a handle thinner than the one that I have. Where might I acquire such a treasure?

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

InvisibleMilletV
--intransition--

Loc: Rockies
    #2275812 - 01/26/04 10:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I mantain quite a collection of edibles strains in slant form. I find it to be a big pain in the ass in general.

I am looking into using a pippette filled with sterile water to tease mycelium on agar loose, then suck up and dispense into a vial of sterile water (20-30 ml).

Apparently the mycelium will store for up to three years using this method.

When I find the pipette and tips I want ill let you know if it is easier.

BTW, I would use this vial water after shaking to innoc test tubes of sterilized grain via pippette or syringe, then let it colonize and use the spawn at 1 grain per petri (dig the grainout w scalpel then tweezer it to the plate).

With peroxidated agar and colonized grain you will have loads of mycelium to play with alot faster then if you pulling samples out of a slant tube and growing them out to the same result.

best regards,

Millet

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2276020 - 01/26/04 11:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've tried a variety of things;  sterile pipet tips work, if they're long and thin enough.  The thin spatulas used to meter out tiny amounts of solid work as well.  Any long thin sturdy item will work [as long as it is sterile or can be sterilized].  It is still a pain, at least the way I've done it. . .carefully cutting a tiny section and lifting it out, using the agar's own stickiness to get it to adhere to the instrument.  Recently I tried squirting a few mL's of sterile water in a slant, and shaking the bujeebus out of it.  Then carefully decant the liquid.  This is likely more of a contam risk than most people are willing to take, but it works and is fast :smile:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2276557 - 01/27/04 04:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This page has several tools you could use:

http://www.emsdiasum.com/ems/new/dissecting.htm

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Tips or tricks for agar slants? [Re: Anno]
    #2276603 - 01/27/04 04:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I had the same problem and came across a solution after messing around with different tools.
First I tried to bend the tip of a nitting needle to a sort of hook, but these needles are made of aluminum and do not stand the heat.
Finally I ended up with heating up the powder-coated wire that is used for making grid inside of fridges and forming it to a sort of flat hook. This tool is very stiff so it does not bend inside my quite long slants and stands the heat from sterilizing.
I will try to get a camera and post a picture - I think thats better than trying to explain how it looks like.

Update 2004-02-18:

Here is a picture of the tool:

Edited by ragadinks (02/18/04 10:15 AM)

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Tips or tricks for agar slants? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2278282 - 01/27/04 06:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hello everbody,
in my limited way if i can reply and understand relevantly .... i would say sterily cork or cap the slants containers then inject sterile h2o into slants,shake then STERILy withdraw into hypo !

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Tips or tricks for agar slants? [Re: Imorph]
    #2279509 - 01/28/04 01:50 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks to all the innovative and interesting ideas presented so far.  Keep 'em coming!  :cool:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms