Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
The French want to take away free wifi and TOR
    #22623264 -

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/after-paris-attacks-proposed-french-law-would-block-tor-and-forbid-free-wi-fi
"After the recent Paris terror attacks, the French government is proposing to forbid and block the use of the Tor anonymity network, according to an internal document from the Ministry of Interior seen by French newspaper Le Monde.

That document lays out two proposed pieces of legislation, one around the state of emergency, and the other concerning counter-terrorism.

In the former, the French government is considering to “Forbid free and shared wi-fi connections” during a state of emergency. This comes from a police opinion included in the document: the reason being that it is apparently difficult to track individuals who use public wi-fi networks.

The latter piece of legislation, meanwhile, says the government is considering “to block or forbid communications of the Tor network.” The legislation, according to Le Monde, could be presented as early as January 2016.

Tor is a network of servers maintained by volunteers, which route a user's traffic through several different points, obfuscating their original, and perhaps identifying, IP address. At first a project from the US Navy, and now attempting to diversify its funding, Tor has become more popular recently, especially after the 2013 Snowden revelations around various mass surveillance programs.

It is used by journalists, whistleblowers and people who just want to protect their privacy online, as well as terrorists, pedophiles, and cybercriminals.

The internal document reviewed by Le Monde suggests that the French government may propose legislative measures as well as technological ones against Tor.

The Tor Project, the non-profit that maintains the Tor network, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Even if it was the French government's intention to block the use of Tor within its borders, it is not totally clear how this would be done, but other countries have attempted to do so.

China actively blocks connections to known Tor entry nodes. These are the first relays that a Tor user's computer connects to, and are publicly listed. Tor can also use non-public entry nodes, called “bridges,” and these are typically effective at allowing someone to connect to Tor from a country that blacklists the network. (China's firewall can sometimes detect these as well, by analyzing the internet traffic flowing through the country.)

So, if the French really wanted to block Tor, they might have to consider a model similar to the Chinese regime's. Naturally, that might be worrying for anyone that cares about free-speech, increasing surveillance, or, say, democracy.

Indeed, in the document the French Directorate of Civil Liberties and Legal Affairs (DLPAJ) questions whether some of the moves in the proposed legislation, including the attempt to block or forbid Tor, could be unconstitutional.

As for how the French government might enforce a legal ban on the use of Tor, it may be possible for an internet service provider to tell when one of its customers is using the anonymity network (although the ISP cannot see what sites the user is visiting.)

In the continuing debate around privacy and security, knee-jerk reactions to encryption and other technologies are becoming a common sight. While the US has arguably been the epicentre for this anti-crypto dialogue in recent months, the debate is going to get more ferocious in Europe too."

I think they should most definitely keep both of those things instead of punishing the whole sea because of a couple bad fish. It would also be bulltrash if the US joined in on the fun too. There's also the fact it should be reasonably easy to work around. What do you think?


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Sheekle]
    #22623265 -

Le Duex!


--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Shiithead] * 1
    #22623281 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Sheekle]
    #22623290 -

Twiddle or die



--------------------
Utwiddle.net

In order to act like a king, one need only treat everyone else like one.

BUMP THIS THREAD EVERYTIME YOU SEE IT

Join the Anarchy Camp!  Down with Oppression!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: TheMovement]
    #22623307 -

End of an era I spoke.  Don't see how the can prevent people from using vpns tho.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #22623326 -

moonrockmushy said:
End of an era I spoke.  Don't see how the can prevent people from using vpns tho.



"Hidemyass.com" once had to give up a ton of IP addresses


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Sheekle]
    #22623360 -

Yeah I think there's actually only a couple countries that are said to be "safe" now that I think about it, and considering they're not always the most reputable countries I don't know how safe that is in the end.  Plenty of VPN companies have given up the dirt when subpoenaed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #22623512 -

Fucking terrorists
Mad at nothing basically so they are gunna fuck everyone up.

If they actually had views or sides that made sense and didn't involve killing maybe they could be reasoned with but they resort to violence and generally seen like fucking scum.


--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: impatientguy]
    #22623798 -

K

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Adolin]
    #22623810 -

:smugjerry:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Sheekle]
    #22624081 -

If you take away free wifi and the drug darknet, the terrorists win.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Dest]
    #22624109 -

I think it's a pretty bizarre and knee-jerk decision on the French's behalf to think that removing TOR will somehow cut down on terrorist attacks, as if it's the only plausible method of communication they could use to come up with plans for mass murder.


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: Sheekle]
    #22624125 -

Did you know the US Navy developed TOR so they could spy on other countries without them knowing it was the US government doing the spying.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: koods]
    #22624158 -

Yes, actually.
Kinda dumb to use a system designed by the gvt to hide from the gvt if you ask me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: koods]
    #22624273 -

koods said:
Did you know the US Navy developed TOR so they could spy on other countries without them knowing it was the US government doing the spying.



My friend said Bob Weir's buddy made TOR or something


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: koods]
    #22624299 -

koods said:
Did you know the US Navy developed TOR so they could spy on other countries without them knowing it was the US government doing the spying.



Yeah I'm not sure this was the exact reason behind it, but it always kinda amazed me that people feel safe using Tor considering who made it.

Are they also going to ban other encrypted networks like i2 or w/e?  There is a couple different alternatives, right?  Tor is just the most widely used.

Edited by moonrockmushy (12/07/15 12:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The French want to take away free wifi and TOR [Re: koods]
    #22625528 -

koods said:
Did you know the US Navy developed TOR so they could spy on other countries without them knowing it was the US government doing the spying.



Yes developed by some elements of the govt. while other elements are attempting to take it down.


--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Simulacrum
The truth which conceals that there is none

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* EDIT: I.P. masking via tor proxy through new mozilla, here's how with links. lauwebud 1,395 7 05/29/07 12:43 PM
by lauwebud
* 'Festival Express' documents one wild ride SoDak_Stranger 2,778 12 07/20/04 05:28 AM
by FreakQlibrium
* trashed up my computer, but getting better wifi reception than ever! lmao!!! shamanamba 1,118 6 01/09/07 05:43 PM
by shamanamba
* wifi robin hood sterileeden 854 8 03/13/07 01:02 PM
by coda
* My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture
( 1 2 3 all )
exclusive58 7,138 52 02/24/05 05:14 AM
by Krishna
* Bloody murderah and free willy shriek 943 4 10/07/04 12:18 PM
by gnrm23
* Can someone help me? Need translation to French and Spanish HagbardCeline 1,282 7 08/10/04 02:28 PM
by RiverMan
* french can make good movies
( 1 2 all )
onetime 3,901 27 12/09/04 04:08 AM
by HydroSmurf

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,313 topic views. 9 members, 21 guests and 243 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.