Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Flying by the Seat of my Pants
    #2245438 - 01/16/04 01:36 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I met someone (not at Starbucks!) who is just like me. We live by the seat of our pants, meaning, we only make decisions based on what's happening today, not tomorrow.

Hopefully, all the decisions I make today will have some positive impact on tomorrow, especially if they're good decisions. (Hmmm. I sense a connection with Ed's "chess" thread.)

We talked about people who plan their lives out based on "tomorrow", and that's fine, but if I live my life based on what's happening "tomorrow", I'll go insane.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think most people probably try to plan their lives out. I am probably an anomaly.

What do you do? Today? Tomorrow?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: Frog]
    #2245446 - 01/16/04 02:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I met someone (not at Starbucks!) who is just like me. We live by the seat of our pants, meaning, we only make decisions based on what's happening today, not tomorrow.

Just be careful to avoid embracing wreckless abandon. Living for the moment works really well short term...

Quote:

Hopefully, all the decisions I make today will have some positive impact on tomorrow, especially if they're good decisions. (Hmmm. I sense a connection with Ed's "chess" thread.)

Part of making good decisions today includes planning for the future IMO. Purchasing stocks for your retirment plan is a good idea although it isn't living for today.

Quote:

We talked about people who plan their lives out based on "tomorrow", and that's fine, but if I live my life based on what's happening "tomorrow", I'll go insane.

True, because at the same time, tomorrow isn't guaranteed...

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2245448 - 01/16/04 02:18 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Did I tell you that I like your new signature?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2245451 - 01/16/04 02:22 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

no, are you a fan of Donovan?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2245459 - 01/16/04 02:28 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I know that I have heard that somewhere before, but I don't remember from where. I like Donovan, however.

What a nice contrast, in my opinion....

The "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and "songs of love".

The Hurdy Gurdy Man has a title such that you wouldn't expect him to be singing songs of love. He should be someone out of ... um,.... who was the guy who did Nightmare Before Christmas? Tim something, I think.

But anyways, Hurdy Gurdy should be a character out of a movie like that, and you wouldn't expect him to sing songs of love, and so it's nice to think of a character like that being in love.

And no, I'm not shroomin'...

--------------------

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2245462 - 01/16/04 02:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
And no, I'm not shroomin'...

Hmmmm...do I need to check & make sure you didn't get into my stash?  :mushroom2:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2245463 - 01/16/04 02:34 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hurdy Gurdy Man-Donovan (I highly suggest you pick up his greatest hits cd)

Thrown like a stone in my vast sleep, I opened my eyes to take a peep.
To find that I was by the sea, gazing with tranquility.

Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man came singing songs of Love
Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man came signing songs of love
Hurdy Gurdy Hurdy Gurdy Hurdy Gurdy Gurdy He sang

Histories of ages past, unenlightened shadows cast.
Down through all eternity, the crying of humanity.

Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man came singing songs of Love
Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man came signing songs of love

Roly Poly Roly Poly Roly Poly Poly he sang...

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2245465 - 01/16/04 02:38 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Tim Burton!!!

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2245468 - 01/16/04 02:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:

Just be careful to avoid embracing wreckless abandon.  Living for the moment works really well short term...

Well, what I mean, is...

...if someone directs me to call an attorney who may have office space for rent, I will go visit that attorney, even if I can't afford to rent from him, because you never know what might happen. 

Turns out that it's a good thing I did.  :grin:

And it could only lead into good things in the future.

Quote:

Part of making good decisions today includes planning for the future IMO.  Purchasing stocks for your retirment plan is a good idea although it isn't living for today

I suppose that one can't solely live by the seat of one's pants.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2245649 - 01/16/04 06:52 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh shut up

This isnt your darn personal diary website or something

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: ]
    #2245807 - 01/16/04 09:40 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

buttcastleking said:
Oh shut up

This isnt your darn personal diary website or something

Ummm...where'd this asshole come from? I haven't even seen this dude post here before.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: Renegade8]
    #2245811 - 01/16/04 09:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think he's trying to be stinging and hilarious like Black Flag or something, but he's just totally lame.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: Phluck]
    #2245881 - 01/16/04 10:21 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
I think he's trying to be stinging and hilarious like Black Flag or something, but he's just totally lame.

Yeah, that was a pretty weak attempt.

Since I'm posting on this thread, I might as well add my 2 cents.  I think I fly by the seat of my pants even more than Frog at times.  I can't even figure out why I did the things I've already done, let alone plan ahead.  :tongue:

I could probably write 10 pages of all the impulsive shit I've done, but I won't.  Here's a few of my better ones:

- Bought my truck without even seeing it.  No test drive - first time I drove it was taking it home off the lot...and I drove over a shitload of curbs 'cause I'd gone from an '85 Toyota Corolla to a full-size Chevy.  Oh yeah, and I paid cash for the damn thing - my dad set up the paperwork & I signed away almost $30K before I saw the truck for the first time.

- Almost the same thing happened when I bought my house.  My real estate agent showed me 2 houses & he didn't even have the key for 'em, so I just walked around the backyard & looked in the windows.  As soon as I saw my house, I knew it was the right one, so I bought it without looking at anything else.  And my house was a shitty fixer-upper, it's not like it was some gorgeous house that I just had to have. 

- The best one has to be when I moved out of that house, though.  I had already quit my job & I came down to SoCal to visit Frog, decided it was nice here, and sent out resumes here instead of in Fresno.  The job search took a couple months longer than I expected, so I had no money, but I didn't want to sell the house 'til I was sure I could move (plus I was still trying to hang onto my crew of stoner boys at the house :grin:

So I said "fuck it" and worked temp jobs while I lived in my truck at the Laguna Niguel Wal Mart, sending money home to pay bills at a house I wasn't in.  Ended up living in the back seat of my truck for about 2? months.  Then, I sold the house to my neighbor 'cause he agreed to get rid of all my old furniture & trash.  Hell if I know what I even left there - I was ready to go, so I just up & left all of a sudden...after living in that town for the first 27 years of my life.

Well, that still ended up being too damn long, but I'm bored at work & my boss just pissed me off, so I thought I'd waste some of his time.  (Yes, Frog, I know it's bad.)

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: Phluck]
    #2245960 - 01/16/04 11:12 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You just have to learn how to completely ignore buttcastleking, as I have... its not hard. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2246099 - 01/16/04 12:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

The concept of developing a feel for the airplane is often lost on a student/pilot because they think the feel we're talking about is the interface between the control yoke or rudders and their hands and feet. They think we're talking about the pressures our toes and fingertips are sensing. That's part of it, but only a small part.

When we're talking about "feel" we're talking about an innate feeling of "oneness" with the airplane. A feeling within the central core of your body that tells you subliminally what the airplane is doing.

Yeah, this kind of talk probably makes you think it's necessary to have incense burners in the cockpit and chant "oooohhhmmmm" on short final. However, we're not talking about some sort of semi-levitated psycho-state in which we connect with the spirit of the machine. Hey, folks, I'm from Nebraska and don't know Zen from spaghetti. Nope, what we're talking about here is very, very tangible and real, but it translates itself into something that is close to being transcendental in its effect.

The areas where you contact the airplane with your fingers and feet tell you how much pressure you're applying. The airplane feeds back it's own pressures which tell you how hard you're pushing/pulling and, therefore, what kind of reaction to expect from the input.

Those pressures are how you "control" the airplane, they don't necessary let you "feel" the airplane. Being sensitive to physical feelings which occur at the pilot/airplane control system interface is important. But that's not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is the "feeling" that comes from within as the result of every force acting on the airplane being transmitted to the pilot through the seat cushion.

This is a vague concept to grasp, but there's a perfect example in your stereo system. When you are standing in the middle of your sound-deadened, hyper-acoustic den and have the speakers in all four corners perfectly balanced, the sound has no source. Think about it.

It is as if the sound is just "there" and its focal point is somewhere inside your head. Put on your stereo headsets and fade the balance from one ear to the other. As you hit perfect balance, the sound no longer comes in one ear or the other. It emanates from a source right in the middle of your brain and between your ears. If you do this with your den system, there's a feeling that the point of balance drifts out and away from you to somewhere else in the room.

That is the exact feeling your body gives you when you are literally flying by the seat of your pants. Everything the airplane is doing is focused on your body in the form of subtle sensations brought about mostly by centrifugal and centripigle forces.

If the airplane is perfectly balanced, the ball is centered and the airplane is neither going up or down, nor turning, nor accelerating or de-accelerating, your body won't feel a thing. That's because it takes positive or negative acceleration in some direction to upset the equilibrium and generate a sensation.

When forces go out of balance and there's an acceleration or deceleration in some direction, left/right, forward/backward, up/or down, inertia wants to move your body. It also wants to move the soft gushy stuff inside your body. Airplane is turning left with the ball out to the inside of the turn and you'll feel yourself sliding to the inside of the turn right with the ball. The gushy stuff inside you moves first. Then your butt.

Listen to your body, grasshopper. It is telling you when things aren't right, if you'll just listen to it. Actually, if you're looking for more specific, less ethereal sensations, just focus your butt. No...bad image. Forget about the gushy stuff, as those sensations are really subtle and think about the interface between your fanny and the upholstery. The tiny changes in pressure at that point act in three dimensions and, if you're sensitive to them, you'll feel them. The next trick is figuring out what to do about them.

No, that's not exactly right. The first trick is developing a system for identifying the sensation (s), and we're going to do that with some butt-training exercises. These apply to almost any airplane but work better in some than others. If you don't feel what we're talking about in your bird, don't despair. The feelings are there, it's just that initially they are more difficult to detect. Also, some butts are naturally more sensitive than others. Nothing personal, okay?

http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleUsingButt.html

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2247250 - 01/16/04 09:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

lol frog dont be so modest
its very clear from your posts that you DO know zen from spagetthi
even if you dont know you know it :wink:

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2247678 - 01/17/04 01:52 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure some people take the time to plan their lives out, but they're silly. Let's say you sit down and plan out your day... As soon as something interesting happens, you move away from your set agenda and do whatever seems most interesting, yes? Soon you've totally forgotten about that plan you made.

COUNTERPOINT:
An unfortunate fact of life is that not everything you do during the day is that interesting, yet still needs doing. So until that interesting thing crops up, you might as well go look for it. The whole sitting still waiting for something to come to you doesn't always work out.
The counterpoint was my housemate.
REBUTTAL:
The way I live my life everything I do is interesting and engaging. You'd sorta hope it'd be. Living by the seat of one's pants means spontenaiety and probably fun. You can still get things that need to be done sorted out a certain amount.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Anonymous

Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2248019 - 01/17/04 09:10 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

whatever newbs haha hahah ahahahahh ahahaahahah hahahahahahaha

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: ]
    #2248206 - 01/17/04 11:31 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

my god someone kill that guy

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Flying by the Seat of my Pants [Re: Panoramix]
    #2248422 - 01/17/04 01:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Panoramix: I'm sure some people take the time to plan their lives out, but they're silly. Let's say you sit down and plan out your day... As soon as something interesting happens, you move away from your set agenda and do whatever seems most interesting, yes? Soon you've totally forgotten about that plan you made.

COUNTERPOINT:
An unfortunate fact of life is that not everything you do during the day is that interesting, yet still needs doing. So until that interesting thing crops up, you might as well go look for it. The whole sitting still waiting for something to come to you doesn't always work out.
The counterpoint was my housemate.
REBUTTAL:
The way I live my life everything I do is interesting and engaging. You'd sorta hope it'd be. Living by the seat of one's pants means spontenaiety and probably fun. You can still get things that need to be done sorted out a certain amount.

Actually, here's what I'm talking about:

Quote:

Listen to your body, grasshopper. It is telling you when things aren't right, if you'll just listen to it. Actually, if you're looking for more specific, less ethereal sensations, just focus your butt. No...bad image. Forget about the gushy stuff, as those sensations are really subtle and think about the interface between your fanny and the upholstery. The tiny changes in pressure at that point act in three dimensions and, if you're sensitive to them, you'll feel them. The next trick is figuring out what to do about them.

I'm not talking about hoping something fun comes up during the day while I am working to break up the monotony. I am talking about this...

(Sorry, I have to use personal examples to get my points across.)

I have been without an office for the last few months, for various reasons. I have not planned how to get an office again, but I am still working, but at Starbucks or at the law library.

One day, I ran into a paralegal who was doing project work for different attorneys. I do unlawful detainers with him. I told him that if he ran into an attorney who might have extra office space he'd be willing to trade for appearances, let me know.

Two weeks later, the paralegal told me about an attorney that said he had extra space, and also hated going to court, and that I should give him a call.

I called the next day, which was about 2 weeks ago, and the situation has already expanded beyond my expectations of just getting an office.

If I was planning how to get an office, i.e., save money for a deposit, etc., I wouldn't have told the paralegal to look out for me. I wouldn't have called that attorney. I didn't plan any of this, but it is all working out well anyways, because of my flexibility and because of "flying by the seat of my pants".

I don't like to lock myself into things and plan things in this sense: If I plan things too well, what opportunities might I be passing by?

Of course, not everything is going to turn into an opportunity. You have to feel the seat with your butt. You have to be able to listen to your body, and to "signs" from the Universe, and be able to pick up on people and cues (not my strong point, unfortunately, but I'm getting better), etc.

But planning life also precludes certain adventures, certain detours, that can lead into something better.

Does any of this make sense?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom