Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

my parent's internet stuff... questions...
    #2207920 - 12/29/03 04:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

they've been using AOL for years, just because they're old and computer illiterate, even moreso than i am. i'm confused about exactly what AOL is. it's an ISP, right? is it also a browser?

the reason i ask this is because they recently got a cable modem hooked up, so they've got internet access by comcast... and there's internet explorer on the machine... but they've still got a subscription to AOL. why? is the cable company an ISP or do they still need a different provider?

i don't get it. would it be better to drop AOL?

if in addition to the cable access, they still need an ISP, what are some good services out there? AOL is trash.

also, about browsers... i've been looking around and mozilla seems like a good option. is that a good one? what are some other good ones?

how can i streamline their access for them?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: my parent's internet stuff... questions... [Re: ]
    #2208021 - 12/29/03 05:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

AOL is an ISP. They use their own browser.

Comcast is an ISP.

Most computers have IE.

They don't need AOL. They can drop AOL so as not to be paying two ISP's. They may not like anything other than AOL if they are used to it and don't do well with change.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #2208173 - 12/29/03 06:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If they can get by without AOL they are better off.. AOL sucks, in my opinion. I could say more, but I don't want to offend anyone.. :laugh:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Anonymous

Re: my parent's internet stuff... questions... [Re: motaman]
    #2208185 - 12/29/03 06:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

well i just talked to them about the AOL and they tell me that the only reason they've got it is that they haven't gotten around to cancelling it... so i guess that won't be a problem.

what about browsers?

and what are some good antivirus systems? should they be using a firewall? which on?

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2210464 - 12/30/03 08:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The free version of AVG Anti-virus is pretty good. Takes a minimum of resources, updates itself easily and offer a good virus protection. Find it a www.grisoft.com .

I'm also using the free version of Zone Alarm as a firewall. It's a good simple firewall and it's better than nothing.

.fs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology