Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineyoutelephonecall
Stranger

question about cable modem w/router
    #991799 - 10/25/02 03:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'm not a complete dumbass (just when it comes to the internet) but anyway, if i'm finally getting a cable modem and a router - will this hardware firewall be enough security to block the random unprovoked attack or should i also a run software firewall too

additionally - i've read about disabling file sharing and remote desktop assist - what else do i need to worry about?
i use my comp to work in order pay the bills so i can't really afford deal with anything getting fucked up.

and another thing - say i piss someone off that has some major internet skills - does the fact that my ip address is in a state of flux from a pool (due to the cable modem service) protect me from someone tracking my computer down and having their way with it?

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA
Re: question about cable modem w/router [Re: youtelephonecall]
    #991829 - 10/25/02 03:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

i'm finally getting a cable modem and a router - will this hardware firewall be enough security to block the random unprovoked attack or should i also a run software firewall too

For most attacks, the NAT (network address table) functionality of the router will provide you with sufficient security. By default, most NATs are configured to deny packets from outside your network on all ports unless you requested them. That means that anyone who randomly tries to establish a connection to your computer will fail. It also means you may have some problems with internet games, direct file transfers and other internet operations which are initiated remotely. You might want to look into the specifics of editing the NAT on your router so you can address these problems as they crop up. The one thing a NAT isn't good at is monitoring outbound traffic, so if you're concerned about what data is being sent from your computer you'll still need a software firewall.

In reply to:

i've read about disabling file sharing and remote desktop assist - what else do i need to worry about?

As long as you're running a secure version of Windows (NT, 2000 or XP), you don't have much else to worry about. Even File Sharing and Remote Desktop Assistance can safely be left enabled if you pick a password for your administrative account that's hard to guess.

In reply to:

say i piss someone off that has some major internet skills - does the fact that my ip address is in a state of flux from a pool (due to the cable modem service) protect me from someone tracking my computer down and having their way with it?

To some degree, yes. Security through obscurity isn't really "security" at all but it's better than nothing. Having a dynamic IP address adds another obstacle to someone trying to gain remote access to your computer.

For what it's worth, I've had DSL for almost 4 years. I have a dynamic IP but it doesn't change often, maybe once every two or three months. I run an FTP server so my IP address is freely available on the internet. I haven't done anything to secure the NAT on my router... just opened up a few ports so things like NTP and IDENT will work. There are six computers on my network and none of them use a software firewall. Despite this lax attitude towards security, I've never in my entire life been targeted by a hax0r. So keep in mind the fears may be overblown.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Peace,

-Y

Offlineyoutelephonecall
Stranger

Re: question about cable modem w/router [Re: ]
    #991867 - 10/25/02 04:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

now that you've totally confused me!!! :smile:

>>It also means you may have some problems with internet games, direct file transfers and other internet operations which are initiated remotely. You might want to look into the specifics of editing the NAT on your router so you can address these problems as they crop up.

do the above concerns apply to others tying to dl from me on say winmx or kazaa?  If so, is editing the NAT on my router something that is handled from the routers internal menu system? (i haven't actually hooked it up yet - so don't really know much about it)

hey - thanks for the info!!

oh and one other inane question - how do you get the "in reply to:" sub paragraphs to appear in your post 

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA
Re: question about cable modem w/router [Re: youtelephonecall]
    #991936 - 10/25/02 06:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

do the above concerns apply to others tying to dl from me on say winmx or kazaa? If so, is editing the NAT on my router something that is handled from the routers internal menu system? (i haven't actually hooked it up yet - so don't really know much about it)

Yes, you'll need to set up WinMX and Kazaa to work with your NAT. You have two options.

If you set up the program to connect using passive mode, it will work and you won't have to change the NAT itself. Unfortunately, you won't be able to download from anybody else who is also in passive mode

If you disable passive mode, you'll need to open ports in the NAT for the program you want to use. You'll probably edit the NAT using the router's menu system or telnet, depending on the manufacturer. You'll have to figure out which ports the program uses (or specify them if it lets you), and then set up your NAT so it forwards those ports to the machine running the program. I know that sounds pretty complicated. Fortunately, it isn't. Unfortunately, I can't be more specific without knowing what kind of router you have.

In reply to:

how do you get the "in reply to:" sub paragraphs to appear in your post

Simple - you do it like this: (quote)text you're quoting(/quote). Only instead of using parenthesis ( ), use brackets [ ]

Peace,

-Y

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology