Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenothing14
bluetounge

Loc: United States
Please help me not f**k up my expensive compost!! Pweeze...
    #2176739 - 12/14/03 02:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

My friend has never used compost before.
Here's his plan:

the day before he leaves for christmas break for 2 weeks he's going to spawn 10 lbs of HMCompost with popcorn & 2 broken up cakes into 4 seperate aluminum trays and put them into his PMP.
Should he cover the trays with saran wrap and poke holes in them or should he just let them colonize open in the terrarium? What he's thinking is that they'll colonize in around a week and then maybe start to pin and the saran wrap wouldn't be very good for the pins. But what do you think? Should I cover them up or not? And is there any problem with him leaving them alone to colonize for 2 weeks? He has a heater in there too, do you think it should be turned off to slow down the colonization?

I've looked around for compost teks and I can't really find any, whenever I find teks they're usually about how to make compost. I really need to know all the procedures, I think I know basically, but I want to make sure there isn't something he's missing. So if anyone can help my friend out I'd appreciate it greatly.

Also, how much bleach should be added to the water in the PMP, I think he added too much because it smells like a swimming pool in there!

Oh and one more thing, should the humidity be lowered or anything since it's a bunch of compost trays and not cakes? And should he case them with vermiculite? He'd rather not because picking all of the verm off of the shrooms is a pain. But if there's a great enough benefit he'll do it.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please help me not f**k up my expensive compost!! Pweeze... [Re: nothing14]
    #2176923 - 12/14/03 03:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ok if by PMP your talking about this thing that some weird guy came up with PMP you shouldn't need to cover it cause your humidity is in the high 90s. I don't think it would hurt though. Gonna take some time maby a week for a even layer of myc threw the casing layer, then it has to form knots, pins and such and that's gonna take some time. Should it start to pin I'd think you be getting home right about the time it happens.

and don't use any bleach. I don't use anything but plain water in mine but if you wanna add something for safety use hydrogen peroxide.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinenothing14
bluetounge

Loc: United States
Re: Please help me not f**k up my expensive compost!! Pweeze... [Re: Magash]
    #2177061 - 12/14/03 04:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Gonna take some time maby a week for a even layer of myc threw the casing layer, then it has to form knots, pins and such and that's gonna take some time.

and don't use any bleach. I don't use anything but plain water in mine but if you wanna add something for safety use hydrogen peroxide.

so do I mix in the spawn and then put on a casing layer of verm right then, or do I wait until colonized and then case? And what if I don't case at all, will there be a significant loss in yield?

and yeah, I used way too much bleach then!

thanks for your help!

Edited by nothing14 (12/14/03 04:51 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation