Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Coir, HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Peat, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineArmageddon
Angel of Death
 User Gallery

Loc: London, UK
Hydrogen Peroxide growing in non sterile conditions
    #3640880 - 01/17/05 10:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I am very new to shroom growing however I have read widely on the subject over the years and especially recently and I am familiar with the various methods however I have no practical experience apart from some rice cakes that I just inoculated. Since I am in the UK however I see no reason why I shouldn't attempt overt bulk growing since I have a large spare room and I have anyway been using (buying) shrooms and other substances for years. However before I start building a glove box or a Hepa filter fan and purchase mycobags etc., I am curious about the Hydrogen Peroxide method.

According to R.R. Wayne, who has published a book on this subject and has a FAQ on http://www.mycomasters.com/index.html#Top?FAQs
he claims that the advantages of the HP method are:

(quote)
>Grow mushroom cultures in an ordinary room.

>Handle cultures in the open air in a kitchen or non-sterile >workshop.

>Protect cultures from bacteria, yeast, mold, and mushroom spores.

>Prepare mushroom cultures without an autoclave.

>Prepare bulk fruiting substrate at room temperature, without >heating and cooling.

>Do away with costly filter-patch culture bags; use ordinary >trashbags instead.

>Prepare sawdust-based mushroom spawn medium with just a ten minute >steaming.

>Grow mushroom spawn and agar cultures on a bookshelf or in a closet.

>No need to sterilize bulk substrate (when using kiln-dried sawdust >or wood pellet fuel)
>Allows "instant" substrate preparation: just add water and stir, no >heating and cooling cycle
>Allows use of non-sterile implements and containers
>Allows use of heat-sensitive bags and re-usable heat-sensitive >containers
>No need for air filtration
>Cultures can be freely opened and inspected during colonization
>Cultures can even be contacted with bare hands without spoilage
>Prepare as much substrate as desired; amount not limited by size of >autoclave, etc.
>No special additives required
>No need to worry about enzymes remaining in the substrate, no need >to adapt the mycelium to peroxide
>Use standard nitrogen-supplements such as good-quality bran without >sterilization.
>Entirely compatible with certified organic procedures

However Wayne is apparently trying to sell his tek on the Internet and he is not giving too information much away.

Are there any free H202 Teks floating around, or has anyone attempted this method?

Regards

Lucifer

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToKa
Stranger
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide growing in non sterile conditions [Re: Armageddon]
    #3640948 - 01/17/05 10:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

When I first started I put out the money for all the fancy stuff like hepa filters,In my opinion its a waste of time/money.I have pcd jars and nooced em up right in my bedroom without face masks,gloves etc,I didnt even flame the syringe.I get the same results as everyone else and have very few contams.The point is dont spend money on fancy stuff,all that matters is that you have a clean house,as long as your not a pig then you should be ok.

--------------------
Domino MoFo!!!

OfflineArmageddon
Angel of Death
 User Gallery

Loc: London, UK
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide growing in non sterile conditions [Re: ToKa]
    #3641214 - 01/17/05 11:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well thanks for your advice. Despite my virgin status as far as growing is concerned, I am never the less considering diving in the deep end and starting with innoculating upwards of multiple kilos a week of rye in mycobags and so prior to this I have been spending countless hours studying this subject on the Internet to find the best way to do this; if it was just for my personal use, I wouldn't bother growing since shrooms are cheap and legal over here; however since I am considering bulk growing without any prior small scale growing experience, I don't want to have a major disaster and I am just asking a lot of questions prior to buying too mmuch equipment.

With regards to cleanliness my home 'looks' clean and my partner is a clean-a-holic, however irrespective of what the place looks like, there are carpets in every room and I can see the dust from them in the air when the sun shines through the window. The attic which I plan to use as a grow room is also dusty and impossible to disinfect; it is not so much 'cleanliness' as dust particles and the 'bad air' caused by carpets; so the conditions are not ideal and that is my interest in the H202 method though I cannot find a tek for it. I rent the property so I cannot just throw out all the carpets.

There are photos on this site of individuals dressed from head to foot in a bio suit with a face mask; all for the sake of shroom production and having read my way through many of the teks it appears that that many experienced growers are manic about sterility; since I am not really a grower as yet, I am just researching and trying to ask all the right questions in order that when I begin this project I can avoid at least some degree of trial and error.

Regards

Lucifer
In London

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide growing in non sterile conditions [Re: Armageddon]
    #3643598 - 01/18/05 04:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The Hydrogen peroxide method works mainly on wood and therefore wood loving shrooms. If you want to avoid the least amount of trial and error then dont go with experimental methods. Get yourself a PC and some rye (millet or wild bird seed (WBS) can be used instead) and some quart jars. Grab some tyvek envelopes from the post office (the priority/express ones, they say it, do a search for more info). Soak your whole grains overnight for 24 hours, simmer for 30-45 then strain. Load into jars affixed with lid with 2 holes in it, then a tyvek disk/square that you made, then the ring. PC for 60 minutes at 15 PSI. Let them cool on their own and squirt 1cc of spores or liquid culture into each ONCE COOL TO THE TOUCH. Keep at 84 until COMPLETLY WHITE, shaking at 5% and 50% colonization. Empty into some sort of container and put sterilized casing mix on top (either a peat moss/vermiculite combo or a coco coir/verm combo)...half as much casing mix goes on top or a little less (2 inches of substrate (whole grain) and 3/4" casing mix). The incubate another 2 days. Patch and fruit.

Once you do a run like this if you want you can pasteurize straw/dung/compost then use the jars of whole grain to spawn to the bulk substrate (mix 10% colonized grain with uncolonized pasteurized straw/dung/compost) and case that with the casing soil then fruit that. You can make more substrate pasteurizing bulk allowing for more shrooms in the end. Just whole grains can get you plenty though.....

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMig
Stranger
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide growing in non sterile conditions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3643770 - 01/18/05 04:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

As for the cleanliness issue, I live like a pig (I've found grass growing in my carpet, if that gives you any idea of how dirty my house is). But to date I've inocculated 18 jars in my living room with minimal attention to sterile conditions (mask and gloves were all), and have had complete success and 0% contamations.

Now of course, I can't stress enough that cleanliness is indeed important, and all reasonable precautions *should* be taken. But also, results can be had with going hog wild as well.

And yeah, I'm probably just the luckiest MF'er that ever lived :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Coir, HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Peat, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation