Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album?
    #2164342 - 12/06/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Most people I know that claim to be Tool fans, either

1.  Have never heard of it
2.  Don't like it

Why?  This and Aenima are my favorites.  Although it is short, I still really like this one.  Maybe people dislike  it because the music in this one doesn't seem as complex.

Anyway, I wanted to get you guys thoughts on this. 

Also, does anyone know if the album was recorded live, or were those parts just spliced in?  If it is live, it the absolute BEST live album I have ever heard. 

Lastly, I am still looking some unknown Tool songs.  I used to date this girl, and turned her on to Tool.  She became obessed with them, traveling to other states to go to concerts, and collecting everything about them she could.

She and I were on the rocks, and in one of our last visits together, she showed me some bootleg cd she got of them performing some songs that were never released on any album I have ever heard.  They weren't the best sound quality, like they may have been unmixed/master or before they hit it big. 

Well, we broke up soon after, and she refused to let me copy it. :sad:  I have searched far and wide, to no avail.

Has anyone else ever heard these and do you know where I can find them?   

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnooganator
SNOOTCH TO THENOOTCH!
Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2164361 - 12/06/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think Opiate is Tool's best album.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: Snooganator]
    #2164940 - 12/06/03 06:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

personally, it took me Lateralus to turn me onto Aenima and Undertow.
I've never really taken the effort to get deep into Opiate. I've heard it a bunch, but I'm sure you won't disagree that it is Tool's most aggressive album. Also, their progression in song writing and use of different compositional tools (like polyrhythms, odd time sig's, etc.) is one of the things that interests me most about Tool.
So, for me, I haven't really gotten to like Opiate because it is more agressive, and less progressive, i guess.
But, this is my opinion, and based off of not listening deeply to the album...

And as far as Tool bootlegs, try SoulSeek. It's easy to get rarities on there. Also, being a tool fan I'm sure you've heard of this, but Salival? got it?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: Blastrid]
    #2165150 - 12/06/03 08:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I have Salival.  My brother bought it for me for Christmas last year.  It was good, especially the DVD, it was really nice to watch while shroomin'. :laugh:

But as I recall, there were no new songs on there save maybe 1, that wasn't great if I recall, I haven't listened to it in nearly 8 or 9 months (it is still packed from the last time I moved.).

How did you like Lateralus compared to Aenima and Undertow?
To me it was just, meh  :smirk:.
I thought the music was great, but was really disappointed by the lack of vocals. 

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2165415 - 12/06/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

My favorites are Aenima and Lateralus, but I haven't heard Opiate yet.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2166951 - 12/07/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

How'd I like Lateralus compared to Aenima and Undertow?

I think it's their most complex progressive, deepest, most spiritual album.
I love it, I think it is one of the 3 best albums I own.

btw, I'm also quite a believer of this: the album you get first that turns you on to that band, you will love more than any other album they make. It's the same for me with NIN, I love Fragile, I started liking them thru that album. But still, if Lateralus was a God, I'd start a religion for Him.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: Blastrid]
    #2166980 - 12/07/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the album you get first that turns you on to that band, you will love more than any other album they make.

I disagree. My first Tool album was Undertow, but I like Lateralus the best. My first Smashing Pumpkins album was Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness, but I like Siamese Dream the best. My first APC album was Mer de Norms, but I like Thirteenth Step the best. I could go on and on.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineGilgamesh
Religious Iconin training
Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2167000 - 12/07/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well I like tool alot. and opiates not a bd album, but 1 i think they should have had more on it 2 I just didnt get into the music as easily as i did with Undertow and Aenima. It took me a number of listening to really get into it and even then i didnt like it as much as the other albums. I like lateralus alot but i dont think it can really be compared to the previous tool stuff. Much different but when I listen to tool im in the mood for lateralus or not lateralus, never the two mixed so much. Now you all know the right way to think about tool and which albums to like. Arent you excited. :P

--------------------
(( (( NEVER EVER SHAKE A BABY )) ))

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Tool - Opiate, Why do people dislike this album? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2167081 - 12/07/03 05:10 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

well, it seems this way for me.

Obviously, you proved me wrong  :smirk: but for most of the artists I listen to, I tend to like the album that got me into them.  I heard Aenima and Undertow way before Lateralus, but that was the first album I owned. Same with NIN (Fragile), Incubus (Make Yourself), Stone Temple Pilots (Purple), Chemical Brothers (Surrender), Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti), MMW (Uninvisible).......

I guess I'm just weird :stoned:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #2168662 - 12/08/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i like opiate alot it's a GREAT album. seeing them play opiate is just about one of my favorite things to see at a tool show, it's better than third eye in my opinion, but they don't play it frequently enough at all....in fact out of the 5 times i've seen them, it's only happened once.

anyways..opiate is great and if you're a tool fan i think you'll realize this. It's actually pretty interesting because it's sort of like the beggining of the evolution of the band. it's interesting to hear their song writing capibilities evolve through out the years as well as maynards attitude and philosiphy. Opiate is back when they were all young and angry which is easy enough to notice when you just listen to it. it's more primal and raw, much less caculated, and straight to the point...also heavier and angrier.

i think the reason people never list it as their favorite though is because of albums like aenima and undertow which are just amazing albums with alot of great classic tool songs..opiate has some too but not as many(probably because its shorter) so people are gonna pick aenima over opiate cuz it's got the most great tool songs.

btw half the album is studio recordings and 3 of the songs are live tracks recorded at a party that tool played at in the old apartment complex they used to live in.  :laugh:

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #2169778 - 12/08/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I personally love Opiate. Great album, and one of my favs. It IS short, but hey, that's a typical EP anyways. It's good to hear them when they first started out, and the beginning of the "story", if you will. I like the agressive and heavy feel of the album, and it's amazing hearing Maynard screaming his head off live on Jerk Off.
BTW, only 2 songs are live (Cold and Ugly, and Jerk Off), the rest are studio. I also love the secret track, Gaping Lotus Experience.

If you're looking for Tool bootlegs, then I have a few links that just may help you out
http://www.toolshn.org/
http://www.toollive.com/

Also, http://www.collectiveunconscious.org has a huge list of known bootlegs, with extra info on most of them, and so on.

Edited by Sheepish (12/08/03 07:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale