Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTriplexiosis
Lachrymologist
Male

Loc: Europe
Tool, spirituality and evolution
    #3997089 - 03/31/05 08:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So... Tool, I liked this band for 3 years now but 4 months ago I kinda saw it for the very first time.
I've been struck by their last album (lateralus) for wich Maynard (the lead singer of the band) said it was a puzzle to be solved. This became my new obsession, I collected all information about Lateralus that I could find on the Internet. Just to ''figure it out''. Whenever I listened to it i smoked some cannabis, opened a new word document and started writing everything that came to mind.
Then one day an idea came to me. It was this: ''I should listen to all the albums in their right order, from the first one till the last'' at this time I still never liked Undertow which soon became my favorite.
So Tool has 5 albums:
- Opiate
- Undertow
- Aenema
- Salival
- Lateralus
Listened to Opiate for a while (always high of course), not much going on there... but the last (bonus) song seemed very important. It spoke of LSD, and I felt as though I need LSD to communicate properly with other 4 albums.
Yet I never tried LSD yet (kinda hard to come by here) so I continued using cannabis.
Now the second album kicks in, Undertow... I listened to it for weeks, when finally I figured it out. It's all about cleaning your soul, about taking all the negative stuff from your life like anger, jelousy, hatred, etc... and throwing it away... Undertow showed me how low I can go to get what I want. How trully pathetic I can be as a human being. (it also cured my paranoia, but that's a different story).
Aenema is next, and I believe it's all about purification. Cleaning of the soul, pushing away the negative, and opening up your chakras (mainly the third eye chakra).
The great thing about these albums is that... they tell you this story (at least to me), Tool is showing you the other path of life, which I believe is a path to evolution. Something that Mckeena was talking about.
I can observe now myself more objectively than I ever could before. I do think I'm becoming a better person each day. Lying, cheating and stealing in every aspect became repulsive, and I don't do it as much as I used to, not even those little white lies.
''Prying open my third eye''

Next on the list is Salival, I've been trying for a month to grasp the idea behing this album, still not sure if I did it right... but so far I believe it's about evolving. There's a special song on Aenema called 46&2, meaning this:

Quote:

This is one of Tool's most amazing songs, and really sums up the entire theme of Aenima. This song is about growing, changing, and moving towards the next level of human evolution and conciousness. It's deeply rooted in Jungian theory.

Basically, it's believed that there are three levels of human evolution and each has it's form of conciousness. There's the 1st level with 44 chromosones. These are primitve people's like the aboriginies in Australia who do not percieve anything outside of themselves. They only see one large conciousness with no distinguishment between organisms. Then there's the second level with 46 chromosones. That is us. We are a chaotic disharmonic conciousness that is basically used as a stepping stone between the first and third levels. The third level is 48 chromosones. (Or 46 & 2, with 2 being the sex chromosones x & y). This is the higher level of conciousness. Our destination.
But this is where the Jungian theory comes in. It is believed that you can not reach this third level of evolution without first delving into yourself and basically cleansing your conciousness for the next jump. That's where the Shadow comes in. The shadow is basically everything about that is unseen that you are uncomfortable with or hate. This is also known as the Anima (hence the name of the CD).

The last part of the song sums all of this up...

"See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me
Soften this old armor
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side
Step into the shadow
Forty six and two are just ahead of me"

So, while listening to Salival I had this idea that we humans should finally evolve to a higher level. Open up our chakras, and control them completely. But before doing so we shoul erase all the negative inside us.
How to do this? I still don't know, meditation and entheogens (if used properlly, not just for the sake of tripping your balls out) are probablly the key.
Am I right about this? I don't know, I belive I am :wink:

So anyway, what do you guys think?
I still haven't listened to Lateralus, and don't think anything about it. Will do soon I hope... in the mean time I guess I'll try and get my hands on some LSD, just to connect with the music. :laugh:

Quote:

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
-Tool - reflection

--------------------

"If there were no desire to heal, the damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've choosen here, I certainly would have walked away by now" Tool - Patient

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Triplexiosis]
    #3997264 - 03/31/05 09:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Cool stuff man. Check out this following link, it seems as if the guy on this page figured out a puzzle regarding Lateralus:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/somms/52272.html?mode=reply

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Darcho]
    #3997481 - 03/31/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've been listening to them for almost 9 years, they are quite amazing.

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Cloud9]
    #3997570 - 03/31/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Tool's music is brilliant. :thumbup:

I saw them live, it was amazing.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3997594 - 03/31/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

They are beginning to embrace the Crowleyesque philosophy of entering a psychological state where everything is beautiful...However, not in the way of the "fool" but in the more cold and contemplative, aware state of the magickian.

Invisibledr_gonz
    #3997597 - 03/31/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

What an awesome link man.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3998107 - 04/01/05 12:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

someone spent way too much time trying to make lateralus look like a puzzle..seems like they're just trying to compensate for the way the album is laid out...if you want a real puzzle try a rubicks cube..heh.

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: lackobreath]
    #3998150 - 04/01/05 01:06 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

tool are an amazing band, and lateralus is definately one of the most spiritually inspiring albums i've heard.

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

OfflineTriplexiosis
Lachrymologist
Male

#3998651 - 04/01/05 05:03 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Darcho said:
Cool stuff man.  Check out this following link, it seems as if the guy on this page figured out a puzzle regarding Lateralus:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/somms/52272.html?mode=reply

Thanx  :thumbup: Though I already listened to both "holy gift" and "prophecy"  :wink: But I'm not conviced it's the real solution to the puzzle  :confused:
Guess I'll have to re-listen both ways all over.
The great thing about Tool (and A perfect circle, since I'm a fan of both) is:
Quote:

Tool's music is designed to make you think, not say something specific.

--------------------

"If there were no desire to heal, the damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've choosen here, I certainly would have walked away by now" Tool - Patient

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Edited by Triplexiosis (04/01/05 05:04 AM)

Invisiblemycophyle
tool
 User Gallery
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution *DELETED* [Re: Triplexiosis]
    #3998954 - 04/01/05 08:36 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by mycophyle

Reason for deletion: anonymity

--------------------
Fight Apathy.
Or Don't.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: mycophyle]
    #3999271 - 04/01/05 10:48 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've seen them twice but it was so long ago, I remember buying lateralus the day it came out I was in school, it's been so long, can't wait for the new CD.

--------------------

OfflineTriplexiosis
Lachrymologist
Male

Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Cloud9]
    #3999542 - 04/01/05 11:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

But, spiritual evolution does not require mind-altering substances. The Dali Lama has specifically stated to abstain from drugs and alcohol to reach a state of enlightenment in Buddhism. Use them as a tool (heh) to help show you a path, but you don't need to only walk that path while intoxicated.

of course :wink: I don't even smoke all that much (like once a month), still only discovering everything, and finding some help in it. I also spend a big deal of my sober time, thinking and quazi-meditating

--------------------

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet
    #3999657 - 04/01/05 12:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Maynard = God

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Edited by Desiree (04/01/05 01:56 PM)

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
    #4000065 - 04/01/05 01:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Great thread! I've heard Tool hundreds of times on the radio and never "got" them, but my buddy and I ate 3 gms cubes apiece yesterday (he's a huge Tool fan) and he put on ?nema, and right then I peaked. It was unbelievable. We'd been listening to metal for hours before he put it in and I was kind of suprised at his choice, but the album took me away. I have to go buy all their stuff now. I halfway wondered if the album induced the peaking. We looked at the CD art for lateralus forever, but never listened to it. The artwork alone is worth the purchase price of the CD.

--------------------

OfflineVirosa
It's Just a Ride

Loc: Georgia (Hate it Here)
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: nonoman]
    #4000635 - 04/01/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Tool actually sparked my interest for psychadelics. Shortly after that I studied Alex Grey and Bill Hicks which took me further down the road. How are they connected?

-Alex Grey did a lot of Tool's album art
-A lot of Tool's philosophies came from the routines of dead comedian Bill Hicks, plus they have a small tribute on the "Aenima" Album. Tool opened me up to my deeper spiritual side.

--------------------
How about a positive drug story?

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness, experiencing itself, subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves...Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

OfflineTriplexiosis
Lachrymologist
Male

Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Virosa]
    #4001010 - 04/01/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Also you forgot Timothy Leary. And yeah, Grey is a great artist for sure.
(nice parabola avatar btw)

--------------------

OfflineVirosa
It's Just a Ride

Loc: Georgia (Hate it Here)
    #4001018 - 04/01/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------
How about a positive drug story?

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness, experiencing itself, subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves...Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

Invisible4bin
Sofa Gazer

Loc: 46 & 2
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: Virosa]
    #4001188 - 04/01/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm so happy to see this thread. The album Lateralus transformed my life, particularly by making me aware of the people who are simply sleeping...in a sense, that means that the album "woke me up." Within a month of steady Lateralus listening, I left a huge corporate job, moved to a cultural hub, and devoted my life to understanding the mysteries.

Since, I have listened to all of Tool and A Perfect Circle music with a hunger (a lot of the puzzle becomes clear with APC) . When I first heard "13th Step," I felt the transformation coming on again. This time, I'm excited (rather than afraid) to see where the new path leads.

Make certain that you check out the boards at toolshed.down.net. There are a lot of people there who are also looking to step through their shadows.

--------------------
I grow legal edibles only. Fresh Shiitake are the bee's knees - like, straight from the fridge.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4001307 - 04/01/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You know something... I used to look down my nose just ever-so-slightly at those who seemed to almost worship tool... and I guess I still do, because I don't agree with worshipping the messiah, but the god he points to.

But this post was very different... by specifically addressing the spirituality involved, you've successfully moved the focus from the messiah (tool) to the god ("mystery").

And in a way it also opens my eyes to the fact that there are probably MANY out there who are "so all about tool" that have discovered these truths through the band.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tool... I just don't think they're "the best band ever" or anything.

The truth is, these same mysteries that Tool alludes to are also alluded to by a HUGE portion of all creators of any kind, including music, film, and literature.

It's really wonderful to see people finding the great mystery through tool... I just want to urge you all--now that you can perhaps recognize the "formula" or "template" of this mystery--to seek it out in all art forms you encounter.

You'll reach a point (or perhaps a peak :wink: ) where you feel like there's been this insane number of sources blaring the truth right in your face all along... trying to open your eyes.

When I "knew" the truth, I found I could look back on my history of musical choices and realize that they were all trying to get me to hear these exact same basic core messages.

It was as if the musicians themselves were a friend trying to help me in the right direction.

I'm pretty high right now, so this is probably all rambly... but fuck it.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Tool, spirituality and evolution [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4001792 - 04/01/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media