Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: silversoul7]
    #2251278 - 01/18/04 07:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

He said Tool.. but I still don't think so (in regards to Maynard Keenan's voice).. and Brandon's voice is indeed a thing of art..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2251284 - 01/18/04 07:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If he was talking about Maynard, then his comment is even more ridiculous. Maynard is the greatest Rock vocalist of our time.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineParanoidSchizoid
Fun Guy With TheFungi
    #2252080 - 01/19/04 04:00 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn (guitar instrumentals)
http://www.jasonbecker.com
Anyone that likes neoclassical metal should definitely check this guy out.
He was also in a band called Cacophony with Marty Friedman(Megadeth)

Nevermore is a remarkable band as well.

--------------------
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling me

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2252092 - 01/19/04 04:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My life began changing the day I started smoking pot and listening to the albums of my fellow barracks members back in '76 in ft.Clayton cz.

Here's to the guys of co. C 420/193 inf

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
    #2252109 - 01/19/04 04:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
If he was talking about Maynard, then his comment is even more ridiculous. Maynard is the greatest Rock vocalist of our time.

Great in a look at me whine kinda way? He holds the high notes in a fucking awful way, like waaaaaaaaaa mummy someone stole my teddy.

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: Oook]
    #2252300 - 01/19/04 08:56 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How bout an example?

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Top 20 Influential Albums (for me) [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2252429 - 01/19/04 10:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

In no particular order these 20 albums had severe influence on what direction my musical tastes went towards at the time. This is just what came to mind sitting here at work:

Introduced to this album by my then future wife. Top-notch electronic production. I think they lost a lot when Emerson left.

My introduction to punk music. Maybe the greatest punk band EVAR!

Logical progression after discovering The Clash. Some of the very best punk out there imo.

Speaking of progressions. What a wavemaker in the D&B community!

Recommended for the DK neophyte as well as the junkie. All around best compilation ever.

The parents of trip-hop? Very good stuff, turned me onto electronica.

The refined pinnacle of Trip-Hop imo. Unbelievable.

My introduction to Tori. An amazing performer with powerful music. One of the most talented women in music.

Speaking of talented female musicians. Here?s an entirely self-produced grrl that completely revolutionised my expectations of what a performer should be for their fans. Definitely the coolest performer I?ve ever met hands down. Hell, she let me ride her tour bus, go backstage, etc. etc. etc. Check both her albums as they are worlds apart with Haunted really pushing the envelope of self-production.

My favorite gal in music. It took years for people to realise the impact this concept debut album carried. I still immensely enjoy this one to this day.

Tom Petty was the 1st rock concert I went to. He inspired me to play guitar. A revolutionary performer who never lost sight of who he was.

My intro to alterna-rock. I can?t believe they still put the same intensity into their performances today!

One of the very best alternative bands. Inspired millions. Inspired me to play the guitar. Corgan was the Hendrix of the 90?s. Brought alterna to the arena.

People thought they were listening to rock/pop, but it was electropop. One of the first fusions of electronica and rock to really break mainstream. I couldn?t decide to pick Garbage or Depeche Mode for this one. Shirley was my fantasy for awhile so she wins out.

My favorite electronic producing duo. Everything they touch turns to gold. How i dream of seeing them live. Somebody submitted "Surrender" already which is their best collaboration project but I think their debut stands on it?s own even today. They very much created their own signature style of electronica.

My intro to The Orb. Yeah, I caught little fluffy clouds later (had heard it but didn?t know who it was). Still one of my favorites. Orb is consistently good and the one performance I witnessed was mindblowing.

I wasn?t sure what I was listening to but I liked it. One of the first signs that the turntable was now a mainstay in music production.

Great songwriting, great live performance. I find myself listening to this album at the strangest times.

My intro to rap. Still one of the best rap performance acts imo. What was I? like 7yo? I remember begging my mom to get that tape for my b?day even tho we were dirt poor and she really couldn?t afford it. Thanks, mom! You gotta fight...

I cut my teeth to LZ. Literally. My mom is a LedHed and I was listening to this shizz in the crib. Still my favorite band EVAR! Hell Page inspired EVERYBODY to play guitar. You know he sold his soul...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2252640 - 01/19/04 12:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Great in a look at me whine kinda way? He holds the high notes in a fucking awful way, like waaaaaaaaaa mummy someone stole my teddy.

I now can never take anything you say seriously.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2252690 - 01/19/04 12:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Nirvana - Bleach gotta love tha grunge

Cypress Hill - Temple of Boom My intro to dark, Wu-Tang/Triple6 style hip-hop.

Astral Projection - Israelians The way good psytrance used to be. Alas, poor trance, I knew it well.

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction My intro to thrash and metal

Notorious BIG - Ready to Die New York Style, baby

Deiselboy - 97 Octane First remotely darkstep DnB I ever heard

Beck - Mellow Gold Eclectic mescaline- fueled mayhem!

Sublime- 40oz to Freedom 'nuff said

Slayer - Divine Intervention 1st death metal albumn

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle biotch

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables Classic

Mr. Bungle - Demo Friend of mine got this from mike patton himself. wicked!

Dykast - Inversion Reprazentin D-town with tha jungle flava!

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream LET ME OUT!!!

Bone Thugs n Harmony - East 1999 Eternal East 1999, my nigga...

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Fucking brilliant!

Chemical brothers- Surrender 1st techno I ever liked

Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation that shit was underground back in tha day.

Aphrodite - Urban Jungle boo- yah!

DJ I-CUE - Live Recording Hip is tha style, step is tha movement

The Doors- Best of Blew my mind

anyway thats all I can think of now...

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2252761 - 01/19/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
If he was talking about Maynard, then his comment is even more ridiculous.  Maynard is the greatest Rock vocalist of our time.

hahaha wow... how incredible... how incredibly ignorant.
I was about to write a big paragraph explaining how Maynard is among a handful of the best vocalists in the history of Rock, but I realized you probably would make some one-lined ridiculous comment about it, and I had wasted my time. 
:lol:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineOook
Oook!

#2252766 - 01/19/04 01:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Oook said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:

I have no idea about the silly gimps name, your saying you cant take me seriously? Excuse me your the one that makes a twat post whining cos your a gimp and want people to remember the queer stuff youve done. I can accept anyone else saying it, but you sir are a fucking idiot.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2252793 - 01/19/04 01:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:

I have no idea about the silly gimps name, your saying you cant take me seriously? Excuse me your the one that makes a twat post whining cos your a gimp and want people to remember the queer stuff youve done. I can accept anyone else saying it, but you sir are a fucking idiot.

what does that even mean?  :confused: except for a harsh insult, i couldn't find any sense in there...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #2252804 - 01/19/04 01:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Korn's self titled release was probably the cd that made me want to be a musician. I don't listen to them anymore, but I have to have some respect for them for that very reason.
There have been numerous cd's that have influenced my taste and my playing style since then.....

First off I have to say that most of the cd's are more new, but thats because I used to listen to nu-metal and didn't think there was anything heavier than that...yup, I was a fool. I started listening to real metal about two years ago.
Opeth- Orchid Probably my favorite metal album of all time.
Death- Just about any of thier cd's
Meshuggah- "Chaosphere" or "Nothing" Meshuggah truly are the masters of rhythm in metal.
Tool-Lateralus This is the album that really got me into Tool.
The Dillinger Escape plan- "Calculating Infinity" Showed me that you could turn chaos into music.
Metallica- "Master of Puppets" Although they suck ass nowadays, anything pre Black album (itself included) kicks ass.
Nile-"Black Seeds of Vengeance" and "In their Darkened Shrines" One of the first death metal bands I started listening to that I actually liked, for some reason after I heard these albums the "growling" in metal never bothered me anymore.
Candiria- "300 percent density" These guys can change up the style of their music with ease. Quite a unique album.

That all off the top of my head...

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: Blastrid]
    #2252818 - 01/19/04 01:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"what does that even mean?  :confused: except for a harsh insult, i couldn't find any sense in there..."

Did you not read his why can't people let you forget shit post?

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #2252911 - 01/19/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The only band to ever really move me in any way whatsoever is Acid Bath. I'm pretty infatuated with them. When the Kite String Pops is pure genious.

--------------------

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: rommstein2001]
    #2253092 - 01/19/04 02:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Acidbath are damn good.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2253313 - 01/19/04 03:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Oook said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
If he was talking about Maynard, then his comment is even more ridiculous.  Maynard is the greatest Rock vocalist of our time.

Thankfully I don't have to take that post seriously. :smirk:

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2253463 - 01/19/04 04:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"silversoul7 said:
If he was talking about Maynard, then his comment is even more ridiculous. Maynard is the greatest Rock vocalist of our time."

Your DAMN right he is!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

BAD,taste,in,MUSIC...said :
"Great in a look at me whine kinda way? He holds the high notes in a fucking awful way, like waaaaaaaaaa mummy someone stole my teddy."

A couple questions PLEASE if you dont mind(before I LOSE mine from you comments :smile:

1. Do you SING??(it doesnt have to be in a band or anything, you just have to actually sing cause you like it.)
Anyway I DO, and I also write music, and I have been trying to sing along with maynard, WHY YO ASK???????????(if he sucks like you claim)

Well because he holds notes longer and BETTER then anyone ot there, maybe  you are  young (and male) and assume that if someone hits high notes they are gay or a pussy,well Maynard not only hits them

AND HOLD THEM FOR (pretty much HALF A MINUTE!!!!!!!) he hits them WELL.

2.Whats a good singer??(although I like heavy music thats so nutty old ladies get scared :smile:, screaming isnt as hard as hitting HIGH notes or ANY note for that matter,and holding it, trust me I KNOW, I HAVE TRIED! :smile:

While I like mudvayne, Deftones , Tool etc etc is harder to sing, whats hard about screaming is bouncing from screaming to softness.

Deftones Chino is a GREAT example of someone doing this well.

3.GIVE AN EXAMPLE, ........THE SONG, TIME ETC

I cant WAIT to see what example you give

unless of course you are just talking out your ass
what a shock that would be :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/19/04 04:38 PM)

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2253553 - 01/19/04 05:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

i'll bite, but I'm changing the rules a little.. these aren't albums that "changed my life", they're albums that influenced my own musical evolution.

the most.

1993-Dr. dre -the chronic-

1994-Led Zepplin -2-
Nirvana -Nevermind-
Smashing Pumpkins -Siamese dream-
NIN -I actually cant remember wich one, I wish I still had my old music still..it had hurt on it

1995-The Grateful Dead -In the Dark-

1996-Tool-Undertow-
Alice in chains -Sap-

1997-Rush -2112-

1998- Metallica -kill em all-

1999- some unknown death metal band, wish I could remember who they where they opened some cool new doors for me

2000- Slayer -Diabolous in Musica-
Megadeth - Youthanasia-
Slipknot

2001- Blue Oyster Cult -greatest hits?-
Stevie Ray Vaugn -tribute on Nashville city Limits

2002- Primus -Frizzle Fry-
Rage Against the Machine -the first one-

2003- Soil -heh check these guy out if you havent
Pearl Jam -Ten-

2004- ???
I am finally getting into electronic music!!
any suggestions?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Album(s) that changed your life [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2253559 - 01/19/04 05:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

With all my defence of TOOL I forgot what this thread was all about, and took it off course, sorry Soulsurfer7

this album is where it all changed for me!, p until then music was BACKROUND noise at best, annoying at worst, and yes I had a couple of bands that I liked , these days I would go back in time and shoot myself  if that meant not dieing and disapearing :smirk:

this album needs NO introduction

[image][/image]

I can play most of it  :thumbup:, which is funny because often I would rather write then play someone else's "stuff" , but with tool its so good I had to learn it!!!!, I am not the hippy in your town that plays "wish you were here" over and over and OVER(good song , and Pink Floyd are great, but come on man, play a different fucking song)

I cant count how many times I have seen someone play that song :rolleyes:

I shold point out that, back in my younger days I loved floyd, still do!, and they had a huge impact on me wanting to play guitar.

Smoke a fattie and just listen to them, how could a young guy not want to learn how to make those sounds!!, floyd rocks always will PERIOD.

back to new music.......

WOW, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! :thumbup: :heart: :smirk:
Metal that flows with grace!!!!!!!, but is still heavy! and the lyrics are not shit, in fact they are great poetry!!!! alone or with the music!!!!!!
this band made me WANT to write more poetry :heart: :thumbup:!!

and DEFTONES!!!!!

I love them what can I say!!!! :heart:
Chino is one of THE BEST singers of all time, and the band backing him is "TIGHT", for those of you that have never jammed , that means they play in TIME together well etc etc.

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/19/04 05:15 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder