Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Contemporary music
    #2148602 -

Through Aphex Twin, I got interested in music by Philip Glass (he orchestrated an Aphex track called 'Icct Hedral') and then later Ryuichi Sakamoto (from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence), Steve Reich and Terry Reilly.

Anybody else like any of these? What are your favourite contemporary composers? I would like some tips for new music :smile: 


--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: muhurgle]
    #2148615 -

I always thought Michael Kamen kicked ass. I guess he just died, though, unfortunately. He did a lot of the composing for when rock bands worked with symphonies (like METALLICA), and also a lot of stuff for movies...
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2148693 -

Never even heard of Kamen, I'll check him out. Thanks for the tip. I do remember Metallica starting their concerts with Ennio Morricones 'Ecstasy of gold'..

Btw, since you're in Norway, have you heard any Arne Nordheim? He has made some ok contemporary music. Biosphere & Deathprod have made a nice remix album of his music. You can probably get it in norwegian music stores, worth checking out :smile: 


--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: muhurgle]
    #2153864 -

I like Steve Reich the most. His work with ensemble modern is my favorite. Phillip Glass is cool too. I don't care for Terry Reilly much, but I can appreciate his work.


--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: Demiurge]
    #2153883 -

I dont know what exactly classifies contemporary music... but aphex twin brings squarepusher to mind.


--------------------
GOD. WEEN. SATAN!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: SausageMahoney]
    #2153930 -

some of DJ Shadow's work is simply brilliant. I'm a huge aphex twin fan. RDJ is a genius. I'm done. And also hallucinating.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: muhurgle]
    #2154087 -

try pretty much anything by the kronos quartet if you dont know them.
i know theyve worked (or played) with philip glass, reich, and riley, john zorn, mike patton, john cage, frank zappa, george antheil etc.

hey look what i found
http://www.kronosquartet.org/other/wall-comp.htm

they have a much longer list than i do

k


--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: knumb]
    #2157247 -

Oh shit! I totally forgot to mention them. The Kronos Quartet has worked with just about every big name in contemporary composition. Thanks knumb.


--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contemporary music [Re: Demiurge]
    #2158628 -

My list of modern composers is basically from soundtracks. John Williams=teh best evar. Also Nobuo Uematsu (the man behind the Final Fantasy series' music) and Yoko Kanno (does anime soundtracks mostly, like Cowboy Bebop<amazing soundtrack> and Vision of Escaflowne) kick much ass.

BN


--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* First tune of Electronic Music? EVER!!!
( 1 2 all )
Ayahuasca 8,901 22 03/16/10 12:19 PM
by SneezingPenis
* the new classical music
( 1 2 all )
LiveByFreedom 3,663 23 02/10/06 10:38 AM
by Yoschie99
* .Music's debt to folk duo Dreamer987 593 0 12/29/04 02:20 PM
by Dreamer987
* Any classical music fans out there?
( 1 2 all )
~`Tursiops truncatus`~ 6,423 31 01/13/06 06:32 PM
by mr_kite
* Akira Yamaoka/Silent Hill game music fans Dfekt 690 3 12/29/05 04:24 AM
by CaptainIgloo
* Solaris Soundtrack Blastrid 855 3 10/02/04 04:13 AM
by plexus
* fight club: the musical? Vats of Blood 1,076 11 08/15/04 09:00 PM
by whiterabbit13
* Underworld Soundtrack - Maynard, "Renholder", APC, and More Darkcloud 1,685 4 09/12/03 12:49 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
949 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.