Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Does the mycelium gets tired ??
    #2140754 - 11/27/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey !
I started a culture around 3-4 months ago.
From that culture i splited it a lot of times ..
Everything was going very well, i never got any contamination (bah, let's say a couple jars but nothing really significant), and it used to colonize completely in a week.
Everything was going top notch until two or three weeks ago.
I inoculated the jars always the same way, but now everything goes wrong. My mycelium just doesn't grow.
They're not contaminated, but they doesn't grow..
I'm pretty sure it's not bacterial contamination because i bleach and i sterilize my jars very well..

I thought to it a lot and i finally came to the idea that maybe my mycelium is too tired and i'd need to start another culture with another spores..
SO my question is does the mycelium gets tired after a while ?

Thanks

--------------------
The world becomes a smile !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Does the mycelium gets tired ?? [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2140782 - 11/27/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It will lose it's vigor over time;however,not in the time frame your talking about.If you have grown that strain on the same substrate, and then change to another substrate the mycelia has a lag phase whereas it must produce new enzymes to digest the new substrate.If you are using the same substrate, i would have to say bacterial contams.Inject 5-10 cc's of straight (3%) peroxide.If there is anything in there it will foam like hell. Loosing the cap alittle,for the peroxide will create quite abit of oxygen when it decomposes and often times you will smell a cidery odor emitting from the jar.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: Does the mycelium gets tired ?? [Re: shroomophile]
    #2140863 - 11/27/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I already put 10ml of peroxide 3% in each jars.
Because it did that to me two weeks ago too, so i decided this time to take extreme precaution for contaminants.. So i think it can't be contaminants. I used the same substrate .
Let's say i splitted the mycelium from the beggining to now around 20 times..
So does it include it in the "time frame" ?
If not i don't know what to think anymore !

--------------------

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2140881 - 11/27/03 07:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah ,the strain can degenerate anytime.I just like to cover all the bases.20 times in 4 months is a lot of transfers.Just look at all the obvious answers.Temperature,air xchange.Has the look of the mycelia changed?From divergent ropey to fine cotteny.The jars can stall sometimes for a variety of reasons.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: Does the mycelium gets tired ?? [Re: shroomophile]
    #2140919 - 11/27/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah i looked at the temperature, contaminants, air exchange and everything was all the same.
I guess i'll start another culture with spores and then if it does the same thing i'll know it's not that..
Thanks

--------------------

Anonymous

#2141839 - 11/28/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I always label my plates. P1 stands for plate 1, I always keep P1 in the fridge. I never go beyond P10. As long as you keep P1 in the fridge and use that one to clone from you shouldnt have a problem. Nothing beets fresh spores though.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Does the mycelium gets tired ?? [Re: ]
    #2143928 - 11/29/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Fresh Spore is so friggin' easy I don't see the point of not using them.

Carefully cut the head of a big fresh first flush shroom. Put it "gills" down on a clean index card, and cover it over with an upside down wine glass. 50 hours later, clear any excess germs off the outside edge of the index card, remove the glass and shroom head. Then fold the index card in half and tape the edges.

BOOM! Instant spore print.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate