Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
peroxide help - by mycofile
    #1134212 - 12/12/02 03:56 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

some basic q/a.

http://www.theforestfloor.org/archives/main/Peroxidated_Agar.html
Is a document I wrote long ago for the now defunct drooldonkey's archives. It covers the basics of peroxide agar rather well.

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some formulas for peroxide in quart jars (for g2g)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

basically, do some math to figure out how much peroxide you want to add. You are shooting for a .15% peroxide content of the total mass of your jar. So, how much peroxide depends on your grain recipe. That percentage is also pure peroxide percentage, don't forget to account for the fact that most people use 3% peroxide, not 100%. If you don't want to put any effort into the math, just do several jars, adding between 10-20 cc's of 3% h2o2 after they have cooled and shake to distribute prior to spawning (quart jars 1/2-2/3 full).

In reply to:

agar - i can't accurately monitor the temperature to make sure it goes below 145*, without compromising the sterility

sure you can, for one, the peroxide will ensure the sterility. just wipe your thermometer clean with an alcohol wipe, let it dry for a minute, then insert it in the agar. No need to be anally clean with the agar while it cools either, no goveboxes or flow hoods required. Just set it on the kitchen counter, I covered mine with foil, and poked the thermometer through the makeshift foil lid.

Also, a pretty damn good guide is the near universal threshold of pain. If it's cool enough to handle the jar of agar without grimacing and cursing, then it's cool enough for peroxide to be added.

In reply to:

also will spores germinate on peroxidated grain? they don't so well, with agar.

The beauty and bane of peroxide is that it stops spores (in general) from growing. A brief understanding of how peroxide works will explain this. Peroxide is deadly to all life. Peroxide being as common as it is, has lead to the evolution of nearly all life to produce peroxidase, an enzyme that destroys peroxide. Spores don't contain peroxidase, therefore they can't germinate in the presence of peroxide. All living cultures, mold or mycelium, contam or culture; produce peroxidase and therefore can tolerate a certain concentration of it. So no, spores won't germinate on any peroxidated substrate, agar or grain. This also illuminates why substrates must be pressure cooked prior to adding peroxide. For one, any living organism in the substrate will destroy the peroxide, and two all organic substrates contain the enzyme peroxidase naturally because they were once alive and pressure cooking destroys the peroxidase inherent to the substrate itself (even if the substrate is sterile, by means of radiation or something for example).

The exception to this is using MASSIVE amounts of spores. Apparently, with a large chunk of spores, germination is possible on peroxidated substrates. My theory on this is that the spores in the middle or top of the chunk of spores (thousands to millions of them if the fleck of spores is visible) germinate, protected from the peroxide by the other spores on the outside of the chunk. So yes, a large fleck of spores from a spore print will germinate on agar. Rarely will spore syringes work. I wouldn't recomend even trying spores on peroxidated grain, but then again, maybe I missed out because I never tried the experiment.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Edited by Raadt (12/12/02 03:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: peroxide help - by mycofile [Re: Raadt]
    #1136312 - 12/12/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, man.

For the others, this was a response to a pm he sent me, which I asked him to share on the boards in case others had similar questions, or different answers.

BTW, I love to respond to PM's since I can't always find all the topics I want to discuss on the boards. Feel free to pm me, that's why I added it to my sig...

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: peroxide help - by mycofile [Re: mycofile]
    #1137816 - 12/13/02 06:53 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Good to know!
Thanks for the informative post. :wink:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck