Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineipickPA
 User Gallery

golf course hutning
    #2123296 - 11/19/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

its raining and it's supposed to rain for a day or 2 more. My question is this: I have a golf course not too far from my house and i've read that it can be a good place to find some psilocybe mushrooms. I live in pennsylvania and i would like to know what kind of mushrooms i would probably encounter on a golf course so i can read up on them before i go out looking. thanks for any info at all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: golf course hutning [Re: ipickPA]
    #2123460 - 11/19/03 07:16 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

first of all; do you know waht species grow in your area?
if so, do you know waht the season, conditions, habitats are for these species?

if not, you should read the faq and aquaint yourself with the more common species, and thier distributions, then do a search for descriptions. a good place to find such is this one.

good luck. if you have any further questions, beyond those found in the FAQ, i will be happy to help.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2124344 - 11/20/03 04:49 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

A possible problem to consider with golf courses - they often are heavy users of various pesticides (weed killers and insecticides). Mushrooms are good at concentrating environmental toxins like those, and there are a good number of poisonings on record caused by people eating normally edible mushrooms found on golf courses.

Before you eat anything you find at a golf course, you should find out if they've used any sorts of pesticides, what they are, and when they were used. If you find mushrooms and they're contaminated, you can become *very* sick from eating them.

Here in Colorado a couple years ago we had a case where a 12 year old boy ate some normally nonpoisonous random mushrooms from his yard. Unfortunately, somebody had, for some unknowable reason, decided to spray DEET (insect repellant) on them earlier. He ended up in a coma for a few days and the doctors didn't know if he'd survive. Fortunately, he recovered.

Please do some checking before you eat mushrooms from places like golf courses where they often use those sorts of chemicals. We don't want to hear that you were poisoned.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#2124510 - 11/20/03 09:11 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2124641 - 11/20/03 10:48 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

these were picked from a decomposing grass heap near the green in a golf course in Nova Scotia, there were many dead and rotting specimines also indicating a heavy flush a few days prior.

--------------------

OfflineipickPA
 User Gallery

Re: golf course hutning [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2124931 - 11/20/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

Well if i were to possibly find mushrooms on this golf course and i was uncertain about pesticides or anything that may contain poision sprayed on the mushrooms would anything cure the mushroom? like boiling the mushroom or cooking it any way? I just started mushroom hunting and im trying to read up all that i can on them. I have found many differen't kinds of mushroom, most of which look to be psilocybe mushrooms and i've collected them and studied them but they all appear to just be common brown mushrooms so i don't eat them. It's very hard to tell the difference (duh) but so far i haven't found any mushrooms growing in grass or on cow/horse dung..don't know why? it seems i can only find them on decaying logs and moss..so my next place to search out is this golf course and i dont want to be eating toxic mushrooms contaminated with pesticides so if there is any way to cure them of thos chemcials i would appreciate it...thanks

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2124968 - 11/20/03 01:52 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

pesticides shouldnt be a majour problem, ever drink coffee? theres 300X more DDT in it than is legal to use in more industrially aware countries, thats what happens when you run a coffee company and want to get the cheapest bean, you buy from slavedriver forestrapers in columbia.
but i digress, if pesticide is really something youre concerned about (and think the damage isnt already done 10 fold) then i suggest "FIT"
once i grew a large flush of pan subbs on my newly manured lawn and my parents went and sprayed it for cinch bugs, shrooms and all, technically it should have been safe after a few hours, but i wasnt taking chances, and i WASNT wasting all those shrooms, so i gave them a bath in fit, they just about disolved, but it washes away 99% of pesticides, and yet it retained the psilocybin, if youre worried about drying problems, fit is high in alcohol so it balances out.

--------------------

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: golf course hutning [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2125441 - 11/20/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

ipickPA said:
like boiling the mushroom or cooking it any way?

heat breaks down/destroys psilocybin, so no you couldn't boil or cook it, but it sounds like mitchnast had good results using his method.

--------------------

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
    #2126077 - 11/20/03 10:33 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Psilocybe caerulipes

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Gymnopilus spectabilis

Gymnopilus aeruginosus

these all grow in PA. try looking for the laughing gyms.  subbalteatus come spring time.  the blu foots are hard to find :frown:
woodlands are gonna be the place to find em in Pensly-tucky.
happy hunting, and post what you find.

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification