Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHimejime
Learning the way

Loc: Northern Cali
Golf Courses
    #5354068 - 03/01/06 04:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Are Golf courses usually fertilized enough to promote Pan Sub growth? Haven't been having much luck in parks/apartments/condo's/disc golf areas even in grass/horse manure just been finding a lot of random white mushrooms not even any Pan Foes. Seems everywhere I go the same white mushrooms haunt me! But I'm not gonna give up..fuck that, I must find them!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Golf Courses [Re: Himejime]
    #5354108 - 03/01/06 04:27 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There have been some posts on this very subject, look at the bottom of this page and you'll see some links to posts. The short answer though is probably not. They don't typically fertilize golf courses with manure based fertilizers -- wouldn't be so nice for the richies out on the links to smell shit for 4 hours. You're better off finding places where there are hay stacks and/or horses if you're looking for subbs.

xmush

OfflineHimejime
Learning the way

Re: Golf Courses [Re: xmush]
    #5354238 - 03/01/06 05:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

weak nothing like that around here that I know of...guess I gotta wait till fall :frown: I wanna hunt! :frown:

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#5354307 - 03/01/06 05:39 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

In California and probably the west, golf courses are the worst. Think about it...golfers in plaid shorts don't like to swat around button mushrooms competing with their precious balls.

So they fungicide many golf courses...Maybe around the edges sometimes

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Golf Courses [Re: auweia]
    #5354577 - 03/01/06 07:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I hafve picked liberty caps on a golf course along the Oregon Coast one time. I got hit in the leg with a friggin golf ball,.

That was the end of my golf course foray days. Not pleasant. I could not walk right for almost five weeks.

Anyway, You need to find hay stacks and/or rotted hay left out all winter to compost. usually around later March through May and some in the early fall months.

While Panaeolus subbalteatus is A common mushroom distributed around the world.

Very few find a large quantity.

Especially in manure is rare.

Mitchnast in Nova SCotia has a field. GGreatOne234 has picked some in Florida as has Lizard King in Georgia.

The majority of this mushrooms population appears in rotted hay at riding stables in the compost heaps mixed with wood shavings and horse manure.

Does not grow directly in horse manure but can also be found at race tracks.

Finding them in grassy areas is also almost next to impossible. Joshua found one such beautiful freshly fertilized lawn a few years back. After several months they never came back again.

The Willamette Vwalley region of Oregon was once also a haven for large bales of hay stacked all over along highway 99 east and 99 west from Corvalis to Eugene. Not so today because they are growing other grains.

Angry Shrooms large find in northern California in a compost heap has apparently not been producing for several years since he never posted any other images since his original large discovery. Those images of Lizard king and Angry Shroom and a few others large Panaeolus patches are posted at:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/panaeolussubbalteatus1.htm

Again, finding them in a lawn is a rarity. One or two and hundreds of Panaeolina foenisecii.

And as for cow manure, their second habitat, that too is rare. There might be a field every now and then, but in 8 years here at the shroomery, only about five people have found them like Mitchnast in N.C., Canada.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (03/01/06 07:17 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Golf Courses [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5354710 - 03/01/06 07:41 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Here's an amusing link (depending on how you look at it) about golf course and their, uh....problem

http://www.usga.org/turf/green_section_record/2002/nov_dec/fairy-ring.html

As you can see, the article is about how to get rid of mushrooms..Notice how they define mushrooms as a 'serious problem' for golfers, not to mention a perfect looking lawn!

I see this alot in business parks in Silicon Valley..Famous names like Intel, etc....They want perfect lawns and that means no mushrooms :P

Also notice they way they define 'healthy'.  You know, unless it's parasitic fungi, it's all pretty healthy..just not healthy they way *they* want it  :P.

I'm online with alot of Europeans, and except for the British and Scots, people are really bemused by this American/Brit obsession with a perfect lawn..

Hehe...I'm sure alot of people know what I mean :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5355619 - 03/01/06 10:48 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Here's another thing to consider:

While golf courses are well fertilized and watered, they are also extremely heavy users of pesticides. Mushrooms concentrate things like pesticides. There have been a lot of poisoning cases where people found ordinary edible mushrooms on golf courses and ate them and became deathly ill. Weed killer and insecticides are not good for you.

Golf courses are not recommended for picking mushrooms to eat.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHimejime
Learning the way

Re: Golf Courses [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5356667 - 03/02/06 08:37 AM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks for all the great info guys. I went out to a local field that has always had a lot of cows in it and it has a good amount of dead grass and found a ton of other panaeolus species and 1 small pan sub I picked it to bring it back here but in the mix of trying to cross a creek to get out I had to drop it...long story but my friend and I were jumping across some stones to get across a 2-3 foot deep creek and for some reason the same stone I stepped on to get across didn't work for my friend, he slipped in and was slowly stumbling backwards so I dropped it in the creek trying to keep him from falling completely backwards into it. Anyway it was a nice looking pan sub too, very dark gills with white fringes tanish color cap and tanish color stem that bruised a nice blue tint on the base of the stem. The sub was still very small though so I didn't mind that I dropped it but I wanted to get a picture to show you guys :frown:.

All the Pan's appeared to be just starting to grow probably with all the sun we had yesterday and none were completely mature yet so I think i'm gonna go back there in a few days to check it out. I see what you mean by it being rare in grass though, throughout the whole field we only found 1 sub and tons of other Panaeolus species or look-a-likes I didnt take the time to properly identify them but none of them resembled pan subs. I'm gonna do some searching for hay and horses and see what I can find. But I've been running into some good cyan spots that look very promising, so I'm gonna be checking those next fall, can't wait for that!

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5357361 - 03/02/06 12:50 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

I got hit in the leg with a friggin golf ball,.

:shocked:

Ouch! I've been hunting near some gold courses.. not looking for actives though. Had to keep an eye out for flying gold balls though, so I know the feeling....in a way lol.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Golf Courses [Re: eris]
    #5357982 - 03/02/06 03:26 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Another interesting thing is that I have found golf balls in many pastures in hawaii, In Florida and in Thailand in Rice paddies. I foudn some up off of Kula Highway up Polipoli road on maui when sherooming and found them on AOAhu a up Comsat road ont he north shore and in rice paddies in Changmai and on Koh Samuii island.

I guess people go up the mpountains and whack off the ball down the mountain sides.

mj

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5358067 - 03/02/06 03:45 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Wow I just realized I typed "gold balls" LMAO
I even did it twice. I meant golF balls.
I must be out of it today.
Might be a good idea to disregard my posts today.  :crazy: :eek: :grin:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals