Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
humidity variation in pmp
    #21123120 -

Hi there:

This is my first ever grow and I have birthed my first 20 cakes into a PMP 2 days ago.  I chose a PMP since I have to travel for days at a time.  (Yes, I let them inoculate for one week after full visual colonization and they all smelled mushroomy delicious.)

But, I humbly beg from the bottom of my heart for you not to suggest I change everything to a SGFC.  Instead click on this moment of joy from Van Morrison while reading the post:

From:  "It's too late to stop now":  (turn it up to 11)



Your audio turned up?

So:  Roger Rabbit posted that the lack of a varying humidity level was the biggest problem with PMP FC's.  So in order to vary RH, twice a day when I can,  I have started turning off the air pump (which feeds the wands under the hydroton/perlite layers), lifting the lid off the PMP, and running a stream of air over the top of the PMP using a 22" fan placed vertically beside the PMP (the pmp is 16" tall) so the fan provides a 6" air current over the top of the PMP.  (I will add photos)


I have sealed a 22" hepa filter with duct tape over the intake on the 22" fan in order to reduce contams, even tho the closet I am using has been sterilized beforehand and is 'relatively' clean.  Before taking the PMP lid off, I give a quick spray of lysol in the closet.  (Could the lysol poison the grow?)


After fanning for one hour, the relative humidity in the chamber seems to reduce to about 40% from 94% (according to my suspect hygrometer).  I then mist the cakes directly and immediately replace the lid which contains 2 x 1/4" holes in the lid (the same diameter as the two hoses from the airpump).  It takes 25 mins for the RH to return to the 90's.


My air pump promises 120 gallons of air per hour which means 6 Fresh air Exchanges per hour.  However, I keep it on 1/2 power which reduces that to 3 FAE's per hour. (I have also contained the airpump in a vacuum cleaner bag, though the vacuum cleaner bag material is not hepa-rated.) I also keep the airpump on 1/2 power since the RH never hits 99% as I have seen is suggested/needed on these pages (but maybe thats because the hygrometer is useless:  I wrapped it in a hot wet towel and it only registered 88%).


The questions I have are:

1.  To what extent am I compromising the BRF cakes by running impure air over them from the closet, even if the air is predominantly coming thru a hepa-filter?  I guess what I'm wondering (a state of wonder which I am not happy with) is: to what extent is sterile air important in the PMP environment?  I keep hearing people talk about polyfill etc and I get worried during my periods of reducing the RH which last up to one hour?

2.  Is the 1 hour de-humidifying period sufficient for the cakes to sense the humidity variation drop or should I be doing 4 hour humidity drops? (since they are also rolled in verm, maybe the humidity drop is not even noticeable to their delicate souls)?

I thank you much for your considered advice. 
Peace, love and healing to all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: humidity variation in pmp [Re: onwardupward]
    #21123214 -

Consolidated cakes should be pretty contam resistant

Sgfc can be left just fine for days if set up right

You could probably get away with several one hour humidity drops a day

If you're really interested in it research greenhouse theory

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: humidity variation in pmp [Re: onwardupward]
    #21123341 -

Fruiting is not a sterile process. There should be no filtered air or spraying lysol during the fruiting stage. Plus you can't sterilize a room anyways.

Polyfill in monotubs aren't for filtered air, it's just so you can control the amount of FAE the monotub gets by adjusting how tight the polyfill is. Polyfill in jars are for filtration, because colonizing substrate needs to be clean as I'm sure you are aware.

I don't know if your setup will work, you really should of just gone with a SGFC and misted and fanned whenever you could, it still probably would of performed better than your PMP will.

Good luck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: humidity variation in pmp [Re: ToxicDuck]
    #21123695 -

this setup sounds like more work than a sgfc, plus there's no such thing as a sterilized closet
or any need for "clean air" during fruiting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: humidity variation in pmp [Re: spacechildo]
    #21123838 -

Ha, I was going to do this when I first started but fortunatley I was taught 2 self automated systems.  The first - SGFC which is amazing.  Works best when misted and fanned 3 times a day, but I have left it for a week while being away and still came home to mushrooms.  The second is the mono tub.  Tune it in and you dont have to touch it till u pick your first flush.

Check this out

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19722262

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19792837

Read all the links in my signature and you will get sorted out.

Pumps and stuff are just not neccessary unless u have a green house.

Some noobs are stubborn and dont listen at first but I can guarantee if you grow for long you will use both a sgfc and a mono tub because they are the best and used by the best.

Good luck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* can't get my humidity in PMP right GanjaNamja 694 4 06/21/04 03:08 PM
by GanjaNamja
* humidity and PMP shakta 701 5 07/09/03 05:56 PM
by shakta
* Casing & PMP MushroomFriend 1,184 12 11/01/04 05:22 PM
by MushroomFriend
* casings and humidity OJK 859 7 03/29/04 03:54 PM
by TheDrugStore
* Regulating temps and humidity, fluctuations bad? Northernsoul 4,271 4 02/01/02 04:34 PM
by Humidity
* Re: Humidity Gauge Advice, HELP Vorpal 1,528 1 04/19/00 09:23 AM
by Humidity
* PMP vs Casings (also PMP 2 Dry)
( 1 2 all )
MushroomFriend 3,142 23 01/07/05 05:46 AM
by ZeroArmy27
* Small PMP - disadvantages apart from the obvious??? abaccusx 636 2 03/28/05 06:33 AM
by goofy98

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
495 topic views. 8 members, 50 guests and 143 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.