Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
BRF Bulk Substrate
    #2108220 - 11/15/03 02:55 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Hi, I'm looking for an effective way to sterilize up and colonize alot of brf substrate purely for the use in casings. I know alot of you might just tell me this:

" just do up some jars and make a 'bulk' substrate of of this+this blah blah blah"

BRF substrates have worked fine for me and I'm just wondering, if BRF + Verm isn't a very good substrate... What would be the best?

So here are my questions

What type of non PF Jar container could be used in Pressure Cooker or in the Steam Sterylization (just boil some water in a big pot and steam sterylize)?

Do you think a big bag of substrate could be sterylized up and either innoculated or be given a mycelium transfere from an already colonized substrate?

I purely want to know because I have decided that cakes are less efficient and give out less results, then a nice big rectangular block of colonized mycelium (casing)so if you have any ideas on how i can PC and or SS up alot of BRF substrate.. Let me know :smile: 

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #2108336 - 11/15/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: OldSpice]
    #2108350 - 11/15/03 04:05 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Now what would be better WBS or RYE?

And is WBS something i could PC a big bag of?

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

Offlinejonas

Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #2108768 - 11/15/03 11:50 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

I'm a fan of popcorn. Its much cleaner than WBS can be (sometimes you get an icky sludge from WBS) and works wonders.

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: jonas]
    #2126695 - 11/21/03 05:11 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

GO POPCORN! im trying out this tek now

--------------------

Offlinefishersfinest

Loc: Indiana
Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #7173998 - 07/14/07 09:41 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

What I do, since I have tons of extra supplies and shit. I'll just take a batch of BRF/Vermiculite and instead of filling 8 or 9 pint jars with it, ill just put it all in a filterpatch bag. Then I sterilize it for 60-90 minutes and crumble one or two half pint colonized brf cakes into it. I also make mycelium syringes and inject 30 or 40 ccs of that in addition. Then you have huge bags of bulk brf crawling with mycelium in a week or two.

Now I just do that, i just look at them as super jars. Takes up less space and you can pressure cook more simultaneously. Its still just PF tek but with bags instead of jars.

Pz.

Offlinedirtracer24
intrigued
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate ny
Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: fishersfinest]
    #7174136 - 07/14/07 10:56 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

rye berries is far far far superior the grain than popcorn or any corn for that matter much less chance of contams and much more surface area for mycellium to colonize 1 qt f popcorn is prolly about as much spawn as a pt of rye

--------------------
why do we park in driveways?and drive in parkways?

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: jonas]
    #7174558 - 07/14/07 01:23 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Its much cleaner than WBS can be (sometimes you get an icky sludge from WBS) and works wonders.

I totally disagree. Every try at popcorn has resulted in disaster for me due to bacterial problems. IMO popcorn is the most contam prone of the grain substrates and is only worth popping eating while prepping my WBS (which comes out PERFECT every time. No 'icky sludge' in my jars.)

--------------------

OfflineNStoney
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: simplemachine]
    #7174628 - 07/14/07 01:45 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I used to be all about the popcorn, until I colonized a jar of WBS. The popcorn prep (soak, strain, dry, steralize) was alot easier than WBS. The WBS seemed to have a nasty coating on it which took a bit to wash off, and it would also clog my strainer alot. Once I got the WBS in the jars and did the G2G I was blown away. I have Identical popcorn and WBS jars (both got a G2G transfer from a brf cake). The WBS had colonozied 1/8-1/4 of the jar while the mycelium was still trying to get a hold on the substrate in the popcorn jar.

simplemachine: Thats interesting that you have bac. contam issues. I lost 3 of 25 jars to bac. contam. I wonder what the deal is with that.

WBS all the way!

Edited by NStoney (07/14/07 01:47 PM)

Offlinefigurine
Cat Tamer
Male

Re: BRF Bulk Substrate [Re: NStoney]
    #7174643 - 07/14/07 01:51 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I've gotten pretty good results mixing WBS and popcorn. They're both pretty cheap and both sold at the grocery store, so I decided to combine them.

--------------------
"It takes one to know one." -Mel Gibson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation