Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen?
    #20813916 -

Good afternoon guy's and gal's, I just had a quick question directed at all of you veteran mycologists. When I was throwing the idea of getting into this hobby I did an insane amount of research, and a few days ago I pondered the question of if it is possible to inoculate rye berry media with a few small pieces of fresh, ripe, right off the cake B+ specimens. I think I read somewhere that it works, but I cannot find where I read that. Is that even possible? Did I actually read that, or is it just something I was just unclear about that I read? If it is possible, I was thinking I might actually have better success with that tec, compared to spore syringes. I haven't yet had success with rye berries, and I've gone through about 6 quarts of grain in the process. If I construct the rye berry cultures correctly, would I be able to perhaps see SOME success in direct specimen inoculation? As always, I REALLY appreciate the guidance, and your time. Thank you very much!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen? [Re: Sporocarp]
    #20813943 -

look up v tek or pasty plates.  use either of those small containers half filled with grain to inoculate with MS, and after 100% just keep it closed and wait for pins (can take a while) then use that to inoculate another grain jar (IN AN SAB), b/c that pin will be more sterile and vigorous than using inner flesh of mature fruit.  u can do the latter too, but IMO, its much less safe.  look at Eatualive's stuff, he does that kind of thing with great success.  u just will need to be extra cautious if using inner flesh>grain


--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen? [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20813982 -

I think Eatyu and others success with stuff like 9er tek is due to the massive expansion of the inoculate making colonization nearly instant. Any contams that might have been present are obliterated in the onslaught of strong myc. Obviously utmost caution should be taken but if the contams have nothing to gain a foothold on they die off pretty quick. Speed in that scenario is key. If you just chucked a chunk of inner stem material in a jar of grain without expanding it first I think your success rate would be a lot lower.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen? [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20814256 -

Awesomesauce! Thank you both very much for such fast and clear advice. You guy's rock. If doing a specimen inoculation is less successful than a syringe inoculation, then I wonder what my problem was then. I went by the tec 100%. I wonder if theres a problem with the air exchange of my lids? I inoculate through 1 small pin hole, then I put tyvec under it, and have something like .5" hole through each lid. Is that a good way for the lids to be, or did I fowl that up? I figured that should be good because the tyvec has a much lower air exchange rate than polyfill. Plus, I don't think one could even wad up enough on the top of a jar with out it becoming a HUGE pain in the dick hole. Does the tyvec have to be placed specifically in a position where there's an "up" & "down"? I apologize for all of the confusion. Thank's for taking time out of your web surfing to help me out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen? [Re: Sporocarp]
    #20814526 -

Was the tyvek you placed after inoculation sterilized? Sounds to me like you need to make some proper lids. Trying to stop a contam with a pinhole in open air is like trying to stop a mosquito with a chainlink fence. Reasearch some proper lid teks and SAB use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Success in knock up grain w/ live specimen? [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20815211 -

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* PC'ing whole grain jars vs. boiling, kill bacteria? PHIPHTIE 2,656 19 07/07/19 03:44 AM
by JohnDoe7ombie
* Colonizing Grain Spawn for bulk?? Need a hand! Pig_In_Zen 5,027 6 09/09/20 10:48 AM
by foodguy
* birthing grains as a cake TRS 615 1 02/14/04 07:14 AM
by Prisoner#1
* Has anyone here had success casing rye grain? EPerson100 34,754 13 02/11/17 06:47 PM
by CubeSteakPoo
* Grain drying room1408 2,732 11 03/03/18 02:43 AM
by MrRabbit-HMR
* PF Tek basically all info for successful shroom growing?
( 1 2 all )
Stephanie 5,863 26 07/21/04 03:40 AM
by mycopsycho
* problems with grain quarts RedHead 3,812 5 04/02/02 07:37 PM
by RedHead
* Rye Bag "knock-up" tek... NO SYRINGE!! TM 1,566 2 07/14/02 05:50 AM
by SixTango

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
387 topic views. 16 members, 96 guests and 196 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.