Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
More Kids smoke Pot than Ciggs!!
    #2057541 - 10/30/03 04:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Why must Canada rock so damn much?

Link

OTTAWA - Teenagers are now more likely to smoke marijuana than cigarettes, a Health Canada survey says.

That finding was recently presented to a parliamentary committee studying the bill that would lessen the penalties for possession of marijuana.

The survey's conclusion that tobacco use ranks second to marijuana smoking comes as no surprise to drug researchers. An Ontario study from 2001 showed roughly 24 per cent of students smoked cigarettes, compared to 26 per cent who smoked marijuana.

"I think what it means is that we have done a [better] job of convincing kids not to smoke tobacco, for whatever reason, than we have of convincing them not to use cannabis," said Richard Garlick, a spokesperson for the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse.

Garlick suspects the rising cost of tobacco and growing accessibility of marijuana have contributed to the trend.

While the federal government is working to soften marijuana-possession laws, Health Minister Anne McLellan says people should not interpret that to mean smoking it is okay.

"Smoking marijuana is bad for you," said McLellan. "It is bad for your health. It is a dumb thing to do, especially if you are young."

I can't wait for some canadian anti pot ads... I am sure that the partnership for drug free america (see Non-Prescibed drug free america) will let us use theirs...

I love how it's ok to quote this guy without him having any evidence to support his claim. "Smoking pot is a dumb thing to do..." Regardless, it's CBC, what can you expect?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: More Kids smoke Pot than Ciggs!! [Re: blink]
    #2057611 - 10/30/03 05:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck smoke and tar and wheezing and coughing just because it makes you feel good. Gonna have patches out for this new breed of addicts before too long.

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2057636 - 10/30/03 05:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've never smoked cigs...i love my pot though! i was born and raised here. :thumbup:
it makes sence.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#2057637 - 10/30/03 05:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've never smoked cigs...i love my pot though! i was born and raised here. :thumbup:
it makes sence.

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: More Kids smoke Pot than Ciggs!! [Re: reflectedlight]
    #2057649 - 10/30/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Shouldn't they realize that it's a sign of a succesful awareness of the dangers of smoking ciggs, rather than a failure to "scare" kids off marijuana? I think smoking ciggerettes is much more dangerous to teenagers than marijauna because of the frequency a person has to smoke ciggerettes as well as setting them up for a long term addiction.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: More Kids smoke Pot than Ciggs!! [Re: Twirling]
    #2057677 - 10/30/03 05:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I suppose it is healthier than smoking ciggarettes and is a slight improvement.

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: More Kids smoke Pot than Ciggs!! [Re: reflectedlight]
    #2057867 - 10/30/03 06:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

As a responsible smoker, i use my bong to aviod airborn pollutants to me lungs! :rasta:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2057932 - 10/30/03 06:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Don't doubt it all... around here young people who smoke only do it after getting stoned, and their tobacco habit usually stems from there.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion