Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Loc: On a Cloud
Newb Tek & Grow log
    #20395701 - 08/09/14 12:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I've been gone for a while and had to get rid of a lot of information and pictures due to some mistakes....But now I'm back.
:trippinballs:

After snooping around the forums and reading what people have been doing/talking about over the past few months...I've decided its time to update some people with information and come out with a new tek for the noobies.
:shrug::takingnotes:

I've been reading around and it seems a lot of people are still clueless and don't even know the basics on how to get started with their grows. I plan to make an easy to follow tek, with updated and accurate information, that has many pics and step by step information so that people will no longer be clueless on what to do or how they should go about starting up their grows.
:sporedrop:

Keep in mind that this is all based off of my experience and what I've learned over the years. If you don't follow what I say and do, I cannot guarantee you will have the same results that I get. That being said, I still wish you the best of luck.
:goodluck:

---The next post will be the actual Tek----

I will also be posting links with other useful information such as, Contamination Threads, and words and info from Trusted Cultivators.

Here is a little preview of some work of mine.

Anyways this is just a sample of what I have going on because I honestly do not have any other pictures from before. I will be updating this thread as I go on with all the information needed.

---The next post will be the actual Tek----

So I invite you to stick around and maybe learn a thing or two. Ask some  questions if you want as well.
:cheers:

Edited by Jman420 (08/19/14 09:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: Jman420]
    #20395703 - 08/09/14 12:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:cubie:Tek For Newbies:sporedrop:

I am making this tek in hopes that I will be able to show a new person, who is interested in this hobby, how to get started, with a 99% success rate, that is guaranteed to bear significant fruits. :grin::thumbup:

It took me less then 12 hours to make this write up. It should take you less to read it. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and stick to what I have to share with you.:takingnotes:

I'm taking pages upon pages of research and study, along with a couple years of personal experience and turning it into pretty much a picture book for newbs on How to Grow Mushrooms.:crazy2:

I read around a lot and I see that a lot of new people are still sticking to the PF tek, using all their resources and time, to get piss poor results if any. I want to help people out as much as possible so they dont waste all of their time, money, and hard work to get little to no results.
:jah:

Want a yeild like this for your first time around? Possibly more? Well read on and don't skip anything I have to say. :takingnotes:

If you don't follow these steps, I cannot say that you will get similar results to mine.:shrug:

The steps I would like to break down :

0. Basics

1. Monotubs vs PF tek
2. Agar vs Spores/LC
3. Air and Humidity
4. Fruiting
5. Harvest

:awejeez:

--0. Basics--

It seems a lot of new people like to skip out on a lot of the basics that are really crucial if you are going to have a good harvest.:facepalm3:

:trippinballs:

The pictures above are pretty much a quick sum up of everything you will need/want in order to have a good grow. I will be breaking down where you can get everything and how much it costs.

:otd:

I will break down a Need cost, for essentials you should really have in order to have a good grow and I will break down a Want cost, for everything extra if you want to have amazing grows!

Need List : This is what your list should like like when you are ready to buy your materials.

1. Pressure Cooker $80
2. Synthetic Filter Discs $1.65ea, Tyvek sleeves $2
3. Coco Coir 6 Bricks for $35 & a combination mix $18 online, like $8 in store at Lowes(Perlite,Vermiculite)
4. Wild Bird Feed $7 20lb bag
5. Quart Mason Jars$16 online, $10 in store & Plastic lids $3
6. RTV Silicone $6.50 & Clear Silicone$20 online or $6.50 in store
7. Large plastic tub for SAB 1 in store is like $10-15, Zip ties $10, pipe plugs $10
8. 51 Quart tubs for spawning $10 ea
9. Polyfil $11
10. Duck Tape $5
11. 70% Alcohol $2 & Vinyl non-powdered gloves $5, Paper Towels $7
12. Flat Steam Strainers $10 and 4 oz mason jars $9, Foil $7, Trash Bags $10, Fan $15
13. Disinfectant spray $3
14. 2 Digital $15 ea or Meat thermometers $4 ea.
15. Drill with drill pieces and hole cutter $100+

Overall Total : $450

This total will get you started and keep you going for well up to 6 months depending on how much you plan on growing. I based this total for a grow of Five 51 quart tubs. :cool::thumbup:

Want List : These are things you should want that will help improve your grow tremendously! Add the Need List to this one.

16. Malt Extract Agar $14 or Potato Dextrose Agar $14
17. Scalpal and extra Blades $9
18. No Split and Half split Petri Dishes $6.50 for a pack of 20
19. Emergency Blanket $20 for a set of 4
20. Surgical Masks $6
21. Heat Lamp $9 and Proper Holder $15+
22. Mini Fridge $65 (To hold agar plates, Don't want them in the same fridge with normal stuff)
23. Extra Materials (I.E. Tubs, jars, lids, agar, birdfeed, Coir, etc)
24. Air Filter with 99.99% Filtration $90
25. 5 Gallon Buckets $6 in store

Overall Total : $300+ (Depending on Extra supplies bought)

Combined Total for Need/Want List : $750+

Hopefully it doesn't seem like a lot. Pretty much all of this can be found at Walmart with the exception of list items 1,2 and 3 and some exceptions on the Want List. :biggrin:

The question you have to ask yourself is : Do I have the money to do this? How big do I want to grow? Will my overall profits be more valuable than the $750 that I'm spending?

--0.1 Basics Cont.--

Now that we know what we need, where to get it, and how much it will cost...Lets move onto how we use all these things properly.
:takingnotes:

Preparing Jars : For my jar lids, I follow TL's tek with a slight change. I use plastic lids instead of metal. Autoclavable, easier to drill through and they don't rust. Last waaaayyyy longer than metal lids..

Also in the link I provided above for the SFDs, I buy the large 125mm ones at $1.65 each. I use a quarter and marker to cut out my own smaller size SFDs to fill the holes. Each 125mm SFD will make 19 quarter size SFDs.

Grain Preparation : For bulk growing I use Wild Bird Seed following RRs tek for Prep.

I wash out all of the sunflower seeds and just leave the smaller seed behind. I let it soak  in a 5 gallon bucket for 16-24h. I use a 5 gallon bucket so that my PC doesn't get dirtier then it needs to be. After it is done soaking, bring it to a boil in a pressure cooker and then strain it out, as demonstrated in the video. :thumbup: I then let it dry for about 6-8hs before loading them into jars.

--0.2 Basics Cont.--

Pressure Cooker Preparation :

For some reason a lot of people seem to have issues when its comes to Pressure Cookers.:shrug:

Examples being : Broken Jars, Don't sterilize their jars properly, Wondering if the PC they want is the right size, Wondering what PC to get, Etc.:facepalm3:

Look no further!!! This is the Perfect Pressure Cooker for you/anyone/anthing. :bow2:

It is $80 and it can fit 7 quart size jars perfectly. They are durable as I have been using the same ones for 2 years. They are reliable and they have always done a fantastic job of sterilizing my jars.

I have NEVER broken a jar, ever. My contamination rate is slim to none. How? Because I use my PC properly when sterilizing jars.

Side note : Boiling water only reaches temps of 212 degrees. To fully sterilize your jars you need it to reach temps of 250+ degrees. Therefore, if your jars are sitting in the water, the bottom of those jars are only reach 212 degrees. This means that your contamination rate is already wayyy higher compared to the way I am about to show you. This will also save your jars from cracking.

Also this only works perfectly with this exact pressure cooker, that I know of.

Start off by putting your canning rack down in the PC and adding your 3 quarts of water.

Then take Five 4 oz jars and place them at the bottom. After that, take your flat steam strainer and place it on top of the 4 oz jars.

Pic one has 5 quart jars and 3 half quart jars loaded in it.

Then you can load your quart, 1/2 quart, pint size, or whatever size jars on top of the flat steam strainer. Doing this, the PC can hold 7 quart jars or many of the smaller size jars perfectly! Put the lid on and now your PC can do its thing and your jars will be out of the water! PC at 15psi for 90 minutes! After its done, let it cool for at least 8 hours.

Now say you only have 1 Pc, or hell maybe you have 3 and you just have extra jars with no particular use yet. Don't be afraid to PC them and then set them to the side for another day.

Since I only use agar with Jars, I can't tell you how many times I've had fully colonized petri dishes ready to go, some not, and a lot of jars that had been PC'd. :eek:

I use 1 petri dish for 2 jars. Say I have 6 petri dishes ready and 14 jars. Instead of trying to stretch out 1 dish between three jars, Ill just save the last jar(s) until I have another petri dish ready to go. The sterilization on the inside is what counts. If you are using an SAB, which you should be, you should have nothing to worry about once it come time to use that jar. :thumbup:

I typically try to use them with 1-2 weeks of being PC'd though, due to moisture content. :ooo:

Now you know how to properly use a PC so your contamination rate is reduced to minimal and so you don't have to worry about having broken jars.
:prance:

--0.3 Basics Cont.--

The picture above a picture of a SAB (Still Air Box) and everything you will need/should have in order to make/use one.

The pictures above are how and where I use my SAB. You guessed it, I use my SAB and do all of my inoculations and grain transfers...in my bathroom! :eek:

Note: If you have space to work in a closet you should. The bathroom isn't the cleanest place to work and you are putting yourself at a higher risk for contamination by working in there.

No air filter need! The only time I see contaminations are on agar! How is this possible? With the magic of the Still Air Box. :bow2:

Just put in whatever it is you may be using into your SAB that needs a clean work enviroment. Spore inoculations, g2g tranfers, cloning, agar isolations, LC transfers, whatever it may be. Give it a good 5-10 second spray of your Disinfectant spray, and then put the lid on and clear out of the room.

DON'T FORGET TO FLAME STERILIZE YOUR NEEDLE OR SCALPAL EVERYTIME BEFORE EACH NEW INOCULATION OR TRANSFER!

Note : If you want to you can take a shower and wash your hands. I don't do this all the time because I feel it is a waste of water. But if you are active and dirty, it would probably be a good idea to wash up before you start working. If you haven't been doing anything all day besides playing on the Computer all day, you probably don't have to take a shower before working on your work.

Come back in 15 minutes, throw on a mask and a pair of gloves. Wipe your gloves down with alcohol on a paper towel and then use that same paper towel to take off the caps from the pipe tubes. Stick your arms through the tubes and you are ready to work! :thumbup:

Thats pretty much it for the basics. Once you are done with everything above, then you just set your jars in an area that receives 12h of light a day.

Lights don't have to be anything special. I have 5 lights in my closet and even that may be a little too many. I have 3 over head lights for above my jars, mainly for temperature control. If it is getting too cold up top,I can switch the lights on for little while to warm things up. The two side lights are what provide light for my tubs, and they aren't flood lights or anything crazy.

Try your best to keep the temps of the area of where your stuff is colonizing in between 75-80 degrees. Remember heat rises, so although I may have my tubs and jars all in the same room, fruiting and colonizing, the temperature range from floor to ceiling ranges from 75-80.

All finished for Basics
:dawerp:

--1. Monotub vs PF tek--

I see a lot of newbs using the PF tek only to get piss poor results. :shrug: Which is cool I guess if you are okay with getting 3.5gs-10gs off of 7 cakes...

If you are going to take the time and effort and wait 2 months for everything to go through, don't you want to be able to get the most for your hard work? I sure as hell do.:crazy2:

So here is how you go about getting the most for your effort...Stop doing PF tek. If you are concerned about space, you can make mini monotubs.:amanita2::amanita2:

:aliendance:
--1.1 Monotub vs PF tek cont.--

Preparing Your Tub :

When making your tub you want your holes to be about 3.5 inches from the bottom for the main walls. You want your holes to be evenly centered from its furthest point.

For example : My tubs are 21 inches in length and I have a 1 3/4" drill bit. This means, I am going to want to mark my holes at 6 1/2 " and 14" if I want to be the same amount of space from side to side. The holes on the tubs that I am currently using are all 1/2" off on both sides.

For the side walls, I put the hole just under the handle bar in its down position.

--1.2 Monotub vs PF tek Cont.--

Pasteurizing and Spawning : For pasteurizing and spawning I pretty much just follow Franks threads. I use a 1:1/1:1.5 ratio. 1 Jar of WBS for 1/1.5 Jar(s) of Substrate. For a 27 Quart tub I do a 2:2 ratio and for my 51 Quart tubs I do a 3:3.5 ratio :thumbup:

Time to fruit : Again I follow Franks tek. Easy to do and follow:thumbup:

Phew another section out of the way
:onfire::onfire::onfire:

--2. Agar vs Spores/LC--
The picture above shows two different types of agar that are both very good for advancing the rate at which your mycelium grows and good for isolating clones. It also shows two different types of Petri Dishes. One that has a half split and one with no split. I use the half splits for spore inoculations and first time clone transfers. After that I start to move the transfers onto dishes without the split so that I can get a better look at the strain.

Potato Dextrose Agar and Malt Extract Agar. Both are great for growing and both are the same price at OG, so pick whichever or pick both and compare the results for yourself.

--2.1 Agar vs Spores/LC--

Advantages with Spores : If you use your spores on a cake or grain jar typical growth results will take up to two weeks to see signs. It will then typically take another 2-3 weeks from there to fully colonize. If you put your spores straight onto agar before you throw it into a jar, your growth rate will improve by a lot.  :mushroomgrow:  :mushroomgrow:  :mushroomgrow:

Be sure to grow out your first couple flushes before taking clones and doing isolations. If you try isolations from spore-agar-agar you won't even know what to expect when it comes time to fruit and your efforts and materials could be wasted. :noway2:

Advantages of using Agar vs Liquid cultures : Unless you are a professional mycologist with lab grade equipment you won't be able to tell if your Liquid Culture is contaminated or not. With agar, you will be able to spot the contamination right away and possibly save the dish. With a LC, if it is contaminated, you are screwed and need to start over. There is an argument that LC has a faster growth rate than agar. This is bogus...It all depends on the isolation of the culture and how much agar you are putting into a jar. :thumbup:

Disadvantages : Agar can be contaminated very easily if you are not sterile enough with your procedure. If you follow all the sterile steps to T, then you should only have a couple of plates that get contaminated during cloning and transferring.

Agar is pricier then the other two options mentioned above. For someone on a budget, agar may not be the way to go. :begger:

Otherwise there are pretty much nothing but benefits from using agar.

--3. Air and Humidity--

For FAE and Humidity, for the Monotub tek, a majority of it should be set and forget. Meaning you have to check up on it maybe twice a day.

If you are using a small room such as a closet. You will want to run a fan 24/7 on Low or Medium speed that is pointed away from your tubs but in a way to where it circulates air. If you aren't using a small room, it is still a good idea to have a fan in the room to help circulate air. Evaporation should happen naturally without any extra effort:thumbup:

If you want to you can still fan out your tubs..I do not fan my tubs, instead I just use a Fan-Spray bottle when watering my tubs and it seems to serve the same purpose, if any. :shrug:

--3.1 Air and Humidity--

For Humidity most of your moisture content is going to come from getting your bulk substrate to field capacity. Follow the same principal used here in RR's video. But when it comes time to spawn, you mix everything, don't case.

Yours tubs should have walls that are dripping in water while it is colonizing up to the first flush. If you are using bigger tubs, you might have to mist it as soon as you switch your tub over to fruiting from colonizing.

These things are awesome! Their spray setting is absolutely perfect!! It puts out the finest mist spray I've ever seen. If you want an even finer mist spray, just turn the fan on and get to it. No more heavy water droplets screwing up your evaporation process. Mist those tubs down twice a day and watch this Spray bottle work its magic. It is a bit pricier than normal spray bottles. I got it for $10 at Kmart

--4. Fruiting--

Fruiting is possibly the best part next to harvest time. During this time, you will want to check on your tubs usually twice a day. Once in the morning, once at night. Check to make sure your walls and substrate are nicely misted.

Be sure to check for any contaminations that may have developed over time.:takingnotes:

Try to harvest your fruits right before the veil breaks.:sporedrop: You don't want spores dropping all over your substrate.

Keep your head up and don't stop trying. If you are using spores, which most newbs will, the odds of you getting a forest of shrooms, as seen in a TC's grow, are slim. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it is slim. If it does happen, be sure to clone it!!!:mushroom2:

However, even with spore grows, with the right Tek, you can still harvest a significant amount!:thumbup:

--5. Harvest--

THE BEST PART!!!!!!!!!

For harvesting I use a gentle twisting motion and pluck it all off. Some people like to use scissors and cut at the base of the stem, I just gently pluck it all off and it works fine for me. The reason you might not want to pluck it all off is because it has the chance to damage your substrate by ripping off chunks.:ooo:

I place the mushrooms on letter racks(as seen above) and stack them on top of each other and place them in a tall box. At the top of the box I use a heat lamp to help speed the drying process up. When I have a full box of 10 racks, I run 2 fans on low, to help speed things up a bit.:thumbup:

In truth, its cheating, because its almost like baking the shrooms instead of dehumidifying them. If you are using a dehumidifier, you are sure to lose a lot more weight then if you dry them the way I do it.

Once its done drying you are good to go. Bag em and Tag em and do what you will with em.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:sporedrop::mushroom2::congrats::aliendance::inlove3:End:inlove3::aliendance::congrats::mushroom2::sporedrop:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Useful Information : To be Finished
1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

I hope this tek has been helpful in answering any questions you may have about how to get started with your grow. Feel free to ask any questions you may have

TC's credit : To be finished

1. RogerRabbit :

2. TranscendingLife :

3. Cronicr :

4. FrankHorrigan :

5. -To be added on to once I collect more of the material I've researched over the years

:ohboycomputer:  :holyshitbubbles:  :ohboyohboyohboy:  :justastonishing:  :amusedapplause:  :thatsaten:
Happy growing!

Edited by Jman420 (08/19/14 10:01 AM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20395728 - 08/09/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:hehehe:reserved for cronic's opinion...hi jman

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: New Noob Tek [Re: cronicr]
    #20395740 - 08/09/14 12:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: cronicr]
    #20395746 - 08/09/14 12:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
:hehehe:reserved for cronic's opinion...hi jman

Bro! long time no see lol. Good to cya around still :grin:

Edit : And I'm liking the new Tag :tongue:

--------------------
            --My Everything You Need To Know Tek--

Disregard the haters and "know it alls", it is everything you need to know TO GET STARTED.

If you want to become an expert, you'll need to do a lot more research.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Open Your Mind To A New Future
                            :amanita2::syringe: :mushroom2::prance::mushroom2::cubie::sporedrop:

Edited by Jman420 (08/09/14 12:59 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20395748 - 08/09/14 12:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

u2 buddy:rockon:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#20395766 - 08/09/14 01:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:popcorn: Hell yes.

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: New Noob Tek [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #20396142 - 08/09/14 02:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Monitoring this thread :smile:

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: Abshroom]
    #20396597 - 08/09/14 05:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Alright this is a more extensive update on my current work.

-This is not the actual write up-

What I am currently working on is this :

I currently have 10 new tubs with new substrate that I've never worked with before. I'm not too sure how my end results will turn out, but so far everything is looking very well! Possibly the healthiest looking colonization I've ever seen with this new substrate combination.

This is the new stuff that I use :

I combine the 2 big bags. I use more of the one on the right(COCO) and way less of the big bag on the left(Roots Organic) I just eyeball the measurements...I've kind of got it down to where I can get the proper amount to make 14 Quart jars of substrate.

Old stuff I use to use :

I would use this coir brick with 2 quarts of the middle orange bag in the picture above. Basic stuff for beginners. I still love and use the orange middle bag though. I am just down to my last bag and had to find a substitute until I can find more. That is unless this new substitute turns out to preform better. Then I will be using the Big bags.

I use WBS instead of rye berries. I have much better results with WBS. Seems to colonize faster for me and stays hydrated better. This is the exact WBS I use. I don't bother adding gypsum because it already comes with it in the mix.

Today is the 9th and I litterally put these tubs in colonizing on the 3rd and 5th. So within 4-6 days, I have tubs that are pretty much fully colonized and ready to be put into fruiting. This is after about a 3 week time frame from clone to agar, to agar to jar colonization.

Smaller tubs. I have 5 of these colonizing, this is just a couple pictures. I want to say they are 27 quarts as far as size goes. I mixed all the small tubs together on the 5th. In another day or two it should be ready to switch into fruiting.

Larger tubs that were done on the 3rd. I have 5 of these colonizing as well. I'm pretty sure they are 51 quart  tubs. Another day or two as well and they should be ready to switch over to fruiting.

All of these look really good and healthy. Though the isolations are still poor, they should still bear great results.

As I said before, all of these tubs have been made with a new substrate combination that I've never tried before. I'm hoping that with this new combination the fruits won't be overloaded with nutrients.

The only reason I'm concerned about it being overloaded is that the Roots Organic bag is a combination bag of all sorts of goodies...Since I ran out of the orange bag and I am unable to find more, I had to find a substitute that would perform the same function that the orange bag fulfilled. Also since I ran out of coco coir bricks a while back and didn't have time to order more, I had to find someone that sold coco coir that I could use. :thumbup:

I found the big bag on the right at my local gardening store(as well as the Roots Organic bag) and it has been just as good as the coir bricks. It is actually better because it already comes prewashed and slighty soaked.

I typically just mix the two bags,as stated above, add two quarts of water, mix it all up and it is at field capacity and ready to pasteurize. No downtime on waiting for the coir brick to soak up all that water :thumbup:

I'll post updates on the tubs when I'm ready to put them into fruiting.:grin:

--------------------

Disregard the haters and "know it alls", it is everything you need to know TO GET STARTED.

Edited by Jman420 (08/12/14 01:33 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Noob Tek [Re: Abshroom]
    #20396624 - 08/09/14 05:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Bookmarking this.

Nice

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: mushpunx]
    #20396743 - 08/09/14 06:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:like:

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: blackdust]
    #20397066 - 08/09/14 07:39 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, another update for today.

Due to the impatience of my friends I'm being forced into harvesting my small tub a little earlier then expected.

This is a 27 Quart tub that has a 2:2 ratio of Coir : WBS. Quart jar size. The holes are too far out and too low. as far as the main walls go. I originally used 4 holes on each side way back when but my substrate dried up way too quickly. Now I only use 2 of the 4 main wall holes. The side wall holes are perfect. The cotton I am using is questionable too..It seems to not allow proper FAE. I do have a fan that I run on medium speed 24/7 pointed diagonally and away from the tubs.

All in all, the overall tub layout is terrible. I'm relying strictly on the fan and isolation for fruiting quantity and quality. I never have trouble with humidity now, even with faulty tubs.:thumbup:

The isolation is only on its first transfer of cloning and this is the results from the first petri dish. Its kind of a small first flush but it still looks a lot better then a lot of the PF teks I see going on out there. If you want real results, stick to the tubs not the cakes.

This grow is comparable to someone who would start out using spores.

What I received from the fruits I thought were ready/near ready to harvest. Looks to be about a half O dry, maybe more.

What I left behind, still looks like it has potential to grow larger.

For drying I put the mushrooms on a letter rack(as seen above) and run a heat lamp above them. I only run the fans in the box when I have all 10 of my racks full. It typically takes anywhere from 16-36 hours to dry, depending on size and amount. (Its kind of cheating because you are baking them and not really dehumidifying them) SHHHHH

**Trade Secret revealed**:dancer:

Lets check up on it tomorrow once it is dry to see how much I got.

--------------------

Edited by Jman420 (08/12/14 01:32 PM)

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

#20398569 - 08/10/14 08:04 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, after several hours of drying, they are finally done.

This turned into

and just as I predicted, it was slightly over a Half O. This is just from what I had harvested last night, there is still more left in the tub to be harvested too. I would say it should come out to be an Oz or a little more after everything is said and done.

Noobs : Stick to monotubs even for your first grow. You will get much better results even if you are using spores and not an isolated culture.

--------------------

Edited by Jman420 (08/10/14 08:21 AM)

OfflineBurberrySpores
72 zones
 User Gallery

#20398572 - 08/10/14 08:06 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

That's so many tubs:booooom:

:thisisgonnabegood:

--------------------
I could go crazy... and no one would notice :seeya:

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#20398596 - 08/10/14 08:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Noobs, multi spore on first attempts years ago: using coir tek and rye

using rye and horse poo / multispore

also. some fuck ups on first attemps: DO your HW

the bggest fruit

OfflineImTiME
Stranger

#20398608 - 08/10/14 08:32 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
also. some fuck ups on first attemps: DO your HW

the bggest fruit

what happened wit the fucked up one?

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: ImTiME]
    #20398617 - 08/10/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ImTiME said:

Good question. Could someone answer? Note, these mushrooms were growing on the bottom of the tub. I think their may have been too much mater in the substrate? I remember the bottom of the tub being full of excess water.

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

Re: New Noob Tek [Re: ImTiME]
    #20398621 - 08/10/14 08:38 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yep perfect example blackdust. You don't see that kind of fruiting with PF tek.. Cakes blow and have the same contamination rate as anything else...If you do everything to a T and don't skip out on important sterile steps..It should be no problem. :grin:

I'm tired of seeing all these noobs put all their work and effort into cakes, and getting piss poor results of harvests that yield like 5gs dry.

--------------------

OfflineJman420
MagicJ
Male

#20398626 - 08/10/14 08:40 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

ImTiME said:

Good question. Could someone answer? Note, these mushrooms were growing on the bottom of the tub. I think their may have been too much mater in the substrate? I remember the bottom of the tub being full of excess water.

It happens if there is a lot of wiggle room at the bottom or sides. When you are making your tubs, be sure to pack them babies down like you are laying cement. The trashbag liner acts as a suction cup to prevent air from reaching the bottom. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#20398631 - 08/10/14 08:42 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Jman420 said:
Yep perfect example blackdust. You don't see that kind of fruiting with PF tek.. Cakes blow and have the same contamination rate as anything else...If you do everything to a T and don't skip out on important sterile steps..It should be no problem. :grin:

I'm tired of seeing all these noobs put all their work and effort into cakes, and getting piss poor results of harvests that yield like 5gs dry.

Yeah bro, one good tub could set a person for life. And if they want to do less work and have it be easier than they need to be looking at growing stones. Half the work all the reward. I love this thread Jman420. Im following your work and duplicating it in a couple months to set myself up for life, again.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order