Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Lying on your resume
    #20372638 -

My friend tells me I should lie on my resume to get a better job. He says the key is to lie but make sure you educate yourself in what you are lying about by doing your research well so that you sound like an expert in the interview. He says everyone lies on the resume. I may have exaggerated things but I've never outright lied about my experience. Have you? And is that common practice of job applicants?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20372647 -

No i have never "out right" lied on a resume.  If you lie at first your going to have to keep lying or get caught in that lie.
DSP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20372657 -

I've never done it, will never do it, and it's a terrible idea. However, it is a really common practice.....common enough that there are companies designed to seek out the lies in resumes. Shit, the superintendent of the school district I live in was fired this past year for lying on her resume. They finally decided to look into it, and none of the school districts she claimed to have worked for had even heard her name.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Donsanpedro]
    #20372660 -

I omitted the fact I had a misdemeanor when applying for teaching jobs in other countries. I wouldn't have tried this if I were wanting to work in the US, but it's been 22 years so..maybe I wouldn't have to omit it now. :ilold:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20372661 -

It would be hard to declare with any statistical veracity how often it occurs. I would assume, based on the couple of times I've been present for interviewing applicants, that it is at least somewhat common to exaggerate if not outright lie about job experience.

Seriously, some of the bullshit I have read on resumes is utterly astounding once you talk to the people face-to-face.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: something super extreme]
    #20372679 -

I would also guess that it depends on the job. If its a crummy minimum wage job you might have a higher chance of getting away with it than a big time corporate gig. As it is though I don't think I will outright lie on my resume.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 1
    #20372694 -

I would never do it but it does seem like people who are effective bullshitters can gain an advantage this way. If the job itself involves bullshitting (e.g. sales) then great, but otherwise it seems like it makes more sense to have the person actually demonstrate what they can do instead of just making claims. I guess companies that fall for this stuff deserve the dishonest employees they get.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20372698 -

no I've never lied on a resume


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: something super extreme]
    #20372703 -

Only for one thing. When I was younger I moved around a lot and it made it difficult, even for a good student, to stay on top of my grades. For instance, a few times I had most of my semester finished in one school, then moved and they expected me to redo my entire course at that school instead of accepting the grades I got elsewhere. In total I've probably been to 20 different schools, I simply moved just that much. Parents divorcing, my old man looking for better work. I ended up dropping out, and that made it difficult to get a job. I most definitely put that I had my high school on my resume after a while, because it worked and no one ever asked to see my diploma. Since then though, recently actually, I've gotten my GED. I did really well actually, the grading system on it essentially ranked me as a "college level" participant. So I don't really need to lie anymore, even if it's a little embarrassing to say and explain that I didn't get my high school.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: psi]
    #20372704 -

My job is strictly mathematics-related and it's quite easy to smell the bullshit.
I agree that a certain amount of bullshit would almost be desirable for certain career choices, but in a purely mathematical field I consider it to be a tremendous red flag when a resume is loaded with obviously exaggerated shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: something super extreme]
    #20372748 -

I would lie my ass off no problem. I have no problem doing it/ Hell I wouldn't have a choice at this point. I haven't had a job in forever, employers would be like; what's with this blank on your resume?

At this point, if I told the truth I would be considered "unhireable"


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: something super extreme]
    #20372750 -

not straight up lying

but embellishing? yeah ive done it. it was true, but not in the way that it seemed


--------------------
Tom Brady is a God

Free Tom Brady

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Bassfreak]
    #20372759 -

Lying on a resume sounds like a really bad idea.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20372762 -

No, but I don't need to and only apply to the type(s) of jobs that would check.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: badchad]
    #20372776 -

Fuck man, this thread is making me depressed. I just googled what to do if you been unemployed for a while and all the links say its gonna be harder to find work the longer you are unemployed.... I'm majorly fucked I already have close to 0 motivaCompare me to desperate people hunting for a job like crazy and there is no fucking way I can get hired


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #20372787 -

XLCaps said:
I ended up dropping out, and that made it difficult to get a job. I most definitely put that I had my high school on my resume after a while, because it worked and no one ever asked to see my diploma.



When i graduated college with my B.S. in Psychology (after 4 ish years and a year long independent research project) i was pretty pissed to discover that NOT A SINGLE employer (right out of undergraduate school) asked to see my diploma or any proof of graduating :facepalm3:

haha.  Now that i am in my professional career they look into it but still i was bummed that no one wanted to see it lol i worked so hard for it.
DSP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Donsanpedro]
    #20372978 -

I've never lied but I've been working in the restaurant industry for about 8 years. I'm actually incredibly qualified for any front of house position. No need to lie.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Enjoywho]
    #20373013 -

I've lied on a resume before. I knew they only did state wide backround checks, and I had no convictions in state. I had multiple misdemeanors in another state but when asked if I've ever been arrested, I said no. Got hired the same day :elmo:

I've actually never had an interview where I didn't get hired afterward.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Magicman69]
    #20373044 -

I hate resumes. In alaska I would just walk in and have a job walking out. It's so fucking impersonal I can't stand it.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Lying on your resume [Re: Donsanpedro]
    #20373105 -

I've never done it and won't do it. I do know a guy who lied and said he had a bachelor's degree when he really doesn't. That's about as bad as you can get but he still has the job.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Resume
( 1 2 all )
highdroponics 3,191 28 02/10/09 05:55 PM
by highdroponics
* First Resume (updated) - made one for review
( 1 2 3 all )
zee007 3,092 55 02/13/13 02:04 AM
by zee007
* Making a resume Corporal Kielbasa 1,760 15 02/01/07 03:08 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Job Searching - building a resume when the past has been dull cyb3rtr0n 408 1 09/22/09 11:04 AM
by Cannabischarlie
* My ass looks good on a resume
( 1 2 3 all )
Morphogenesis 2,544 57 12/28/11 02:14 AM
by nice1
* Resume Builder EdibleStereos 641 15 03/31/14 11:25 PM
by spore baby
* How long should a resume be?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Sheekle 2,502 62 09/21/15 09:40 PM
by Arctic W. Fox
* resumes (with not much on them)
( 1 2 all )
resonant111 2,200 35 01/04/13 09:53 PM
by floatingwater

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,143 topic views. 3 members, 27 guests and 63 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.