Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Tacos

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
vegitarian food
    #2015100 - 10/16/03 05:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i need a recipe for some good vegitarian food so i can impress this chick who gots some good ideas

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Re: vegitarian food [Re: Dobie]
    #2015207 - 10/16/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

get tacos from taco bell and take the meat out and serve

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: vegitarian food [Re: sucklesworth]
    #2015228 - 10/16/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Vegatable curry
Speghetti and Tomatoe Sauce
Tofu

it's not that hard to cook "vegitarian food"

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2015258 - 10/16/03 05:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Heh.. I happen to be the queen of vegetarian food.

Is she a dairy/egg eating vegetarian? Or a vegan?

Do you want to make a:
Soup?
Casserole?
Italian?
Pasta?
Chinese?
Comfort food?
Thai

You could do tofu or eggplant parmesan really easily.. Tofu lasagna.. I have a great recipe for a fake corndog casserole.. Chinese stirfry.. Lomein, Chowmein, Fried rice, Thai Green Curry w/ tofu, tofu cutlets with mashed potatoes and gravy, Tofu pot pie, Mock Chicken noodle soup, Potato Jalepeno Leek Soup.. and more.

Vegetarians are normally slightly picky. So, it all depends

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Dobie]
    #2018928 - 10/17/03 09:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: vegitarian food [Re: OldSpice]
    #2019118 - 10/17/03 11:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

nope never did was really drunk when i posted this. shes not pickey at all the eats eggs and dairy also fish i just wanna impress her and make dinner but my cooking consists of beef and pork and maybe some baked potatoes

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Dobie]
    #2021153 - 10/18/03 08:23 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Anonymous

Re: vegitarian food [Re: OldSpice]
    #2021718 - 10/19/03 01:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Psilokitten-

Potato Jalepeno Leek Soup sounds awesome, I'd like to see that recipe

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: vegitarian food [Re: Organic]
    #2027808 - 10/21/03 05:02 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Paranormal, yer wish is my command.

Potato Jalepeno Leek Soup

4 Medium sized russet/baking potatoes
1 bunch of leeks
1/2 Jalepeno
1/2-1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 cloves garlic
3 tbs butter
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup cilantro
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk (can substitue soy milk. You could also substitue half cream half milk)
fresh chives/ green onions garnish
1/2- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese)

1. Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces for faster cooking, boil in 6-8 quarts of salted (1/2 tsp) water until soft, but not falling apart ( depending on size of potatoes 15-25 minutes, poke with a fork until you feel no resistance. It is better to overcook then undercook when using for a soup)
2. In large stock pot, sautee minced fresh garlic cloves, finely sliced leek bunch (make sure to wash leeks thoroughly.. pull them apart. You can basically use all of the leek except the bottom and top 2 inches to assure no bitterness) and chopped or sliced Jalepeno in butter. You can leave as many seeds in as you wish depending upon how much heat that you want. Typically, since I use 1/2 jalepeno, I remove most of the seeds.
3. Drain potatoes and add to stock pot.
4. Add milk. A word of caution here... depending upon what type of potatoes you use and how big they are, you very well may have to add more or less milk then stated above, just add it slowly mashing the potatoes with a handmasher/immersion blender/hand blender as you go until the soup is the consistancy you like. I typically add only the amount of milk stated above and add some of the water I boiled the potatoes in to round out the texture. You can also add clear vegetable stock if you have it laying around. Im lactose intolerant, so I havent tasted it.. but everyone seems to like the half cream mixture.
5. Add cilantro. Season with rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Remember, salt when used correctly is the key between blah and wow.. So add the above amounts and then taste.. add another pinch and taste.. and so on and so forth until it tastes fantastic for you.
6. Serve garnished with some shredded cheddar cheese and a sprinking of fresh chives.

Great with a nice salad and some crusty french bread.

I apologize in advance if my recipes are a little vague, but I notice that when I make dishes everything is variable depending upon the altitude and quality of ingredients.

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2027851 - 10/21/03 05:38 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hrmm.  Im probably too late, but maybe you can make her another dinner some time in the future :smile:

Here is a pretty simple recipe that you will probably like too and that I dunno if she has ever had before.

Vegetarian Tacos
1 package corn tortillas (if you are dangerous around hot oil, just use the premade taco shells)
1 package Yves veggie ground round
1 package McCormick Taco seasoning (I like the hot one)
2 Tbs oil + 1-2 cups for frying.
Water as directed on the Taco seasoning
1 tomato - diced into small pieces
1/2 red onion - finely chopped
lettuce -  chop into small pieces
cheddar cheese - shredded
*sourcream
*jalepenos

1.  In a nonstick skillet heat 2 tsp oil on medium-high heat.  When hot, add ground round.
2.  Brown ground round stirring often to make sure it doesnt burn.  When it looks crispy.. kind of like real hamburger meat, add half of package of taco seasoning and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
3.  Add rest of taco seasoning and the water the package calls for.  McCormicks is the best brand, so get it if you can find it.  Cook for 3-5 more minutes until the water has boiled off and everything looks absorbed.
4.  Put in tupperware container with lid.  You might have to nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving depending on how fast you are with the tortillas.
5.  Heat oil over medium high heat -- depending upon the size of the pan you use, you want about 1/2-1 inch in the bottom of the pan.. no more then 1 inch.
6.  Tongs are a neccessity here.  Place tortilla in oil, it should start frying pretty immediately.  Once you have the oil up to temp, you may want to turn it down to medium.  Using the tongs, submerge the tortilla and cook for approximately 15-20 seconds, until it just stops being floppy.. Using the tongs, fold over one side in the shape of a taco, you can put one side of the tongs in the center to keep that space for the fillings.  Fry until it turns golden.  Personally, I like my tacos just a little chewy, so it normally takes about 1 minute.  If you like them more crispy, you may want to cook them for longer.  Drain on paper towels.  Fresh shells really are worth the effort, they are so much better then the store bought ones and it doesnt take long to get the hang of it. 
As an easier side option, you could just fry the tortillas flat until crispy and make tostadas instead.. just make some refried beans to put on them too.

Voila, you are done.  Serve everything on the side and you guys can build them the way you want them.  Sourcream and jalepenos are optional, but I like them.

For a complete meal:
1 can refried beans ( I like Rosarito)
1. Open, dump in bowl, stir around, put in microwave for 4-5 minutes, stir again and garnish with cheddar cheese.

Mexican Rice
1 cup rice
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter or margerine
1 small can of diced tomatoes and chilis (they usually come in a can together)
1/8 cup frozen corn
4-5 tablespoons Ketchup

1.  In a nonstick pan heated to medium-low heat, toast garlic and cumin for 20-30 seconds.  Cumin releases hella fumes, so be careful, you just want to toast it until you can smell it cooking.
2.  Add butter, rice and onions and saute until onions are translucent and the rice is golden.
3.  Add water, salt, pepper, corn and tomato/chili ( if you cant find a small can, like, half the size of a standard soup can, only add half).  Turn heat to low and cover.
4.  When the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy (approximately 20-25 minutes) stir in Ketchup.  Taste.  You may want to add a pinch more salt and a few shakes of cumin and garlic powder.  If you like your mexican rice really tomatoey-- you may want to add a few more squirts of ketchup.  It is all about personal taste.
5.  Serve.

You could also serve deli salsa and chips.. or even make your own salsa.

Bon Appetite.

If that menu doesnt sound good, let me know and Ill give ya another one :smile:

--------------------

Offlinegeorgewash
old hand
Re: vegitarian food [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2027870 - 10/21/03 05:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Listen to PK, I can vouch, she definately is without a doubt the queen of vegetarian food. I've been a vegetarian for probably around 8 plus years. I had pretty much given up on ever having food be anything other then utilitarian until I met her. Now I know the joys of tasty nutritious snacks! :smile:

g-dub

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2027985 - 10/21/03 08:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

PK do you have any recipies for noodle dishes?  I went semi-vegetarian (I still eat seafood at the moment) a few months back and I tend to cook the same things over and over.  I especially like noodles but I only know a few dishes (I do a mean stir-fry :smile: ).  I bought some Udon but I haven't been very successful at making a broth to go with them.  Any ideas?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: vegitarian food [Re: Edame]
    #2029041 - 10/21/03 04:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well. Im not a huge Udon fan, just because fresh Udon is so expensive here.. but some ideas:

Make a broth of:
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 stalk lemongrass
1inch minced ginger
3 cloves minced garlic
2 bunches chopped green onion (use the whole thing except for the botton 1/2 inch
2- 3 tbsp soy sauce (to taste.. I dont like really salty things. You could also use 1 - 2 tbsp miso paste)
a few drops of oyster or fish sauce (this stuff goes a long way)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
optional

It is best to brown the garlic, ginger and celery to bring the flavor out. Then just add the rest of the ingredients and prolly 4 1/2 cups water (You may have to adjust this, but the good thing is.. if you add too much you can always just boil it and condense it down) You then simmer this for about 30 minutes and strain it, you should then be able to put the udon noodles straight in and eat. You could garnish with chopped green onions or parsely if so inclined.

I also have pretty easy lomein and fried rice recipes as well as italian pasta dishes and some noodle casseroles.

--------------------

OfflineBushdoctor
Reject from thespirit realm trying to getthome

#2029537 - 10/21/03 06:58 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well if  you want to make some nice Noodle dishes i sugges making Bami goreng its ded simple

Its kind of a  wath ever happens to be in the fridge dish so just take outh wathever vegetables you happen to have.
look  espevially for
mushrooms
carrots
bamboo
onions
and other usefull frying vegetables
now all you need is instant noodel, the one you gett in pakages with a spice bag in it. Just take them outh of the  pakage and let them lay in cold wather for abouth an hour. You can use warm wather and it  will onley take like 10 minuits  buth they might go to soft.
While the noodles are soking up put some oil in your wok frying pan with high corners will do. Fry the vegetables starting with the softer ones and wen all are in add the spice bags. Try and time it so the noodles are soft enough as all the vegetables are redy fryed. Then just ad the softed up noodles and stir around for a few minuits and  add some soy for flavor and voila simple and delisious Bami goreng.

Ps. i have gone through 2 chef scools and and worked at some  pretty  fine resturaunts if you need ANY help with ANY cooking chanses are that i have a nice recepie for it so just ask. I am a vegeterian to so i have a bunch of those  to.  :smile:

InvisibleEdame
gone

#2029637 - 10/21/03 07:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the tips peeps :smile:  I'll try that broth soon I think. 

Bushmaster, the stir-fry that I do at the moment is similar to yours but I add some coconut milk into the wok with the vegetables and some thai red curry sauce.  The coconut milk keeps the sauce quite thin and the noodles absorb some of it when I add them to the wok.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2031114 - 10/22/03 01:50 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I love thai curries, they are so good, although I prefer green curry.  Do you add fish sauce to your curry?  It really brings out a great flavor if you add a couple drops, but it is hella strong.  I used to always make curries and couldnt figure out what was missing from the ones Id eaten at great restaurants and since you are a fish eating vege, Id definately suggest it.  GW is not a fish eating vegetarian, so I have to make two seperate curries :smile:

I usually dont add any noodles to my curries, but I love Coconut Scallion rice for a carb/liquid absorber.  It has such great textures with the creaminess of the coconut milk and the crunch of the scallions.

I just substitue the coconut milk for water when making plain white rice or jasmine rice and then when done cooking, I stir in 1 bunch of sliced scallions/green onions for every 4 cups finished rice.  You could also subsitite coconut milk for half the water if you want a lighter rice.  You really have to watch the rice though, I find the coconut milk makes it more likely to scortch at the bottom if you arent careful. Soo good with curry.

I also like to add shallow fried tofu that has been previously frozen and squeezed of as much excess moisture as possible with out breaking it up to my curries.. mmmmmm.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#2036230 - 10/23/03 02:45 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I use fish sauce too, I copied my curry dish from a friend and he said I should definately use it, the smell puts me off a bit though.  I'm a bit of a noob to cooking so I haven't moved to rice yet, but that's my next step.  I'm thinking a vegetable indian curry would be nice to try.
I can never seem to find tofu where I live, I tried Quorn for a while but had a reaction to it.  I need to go and get some vegetables so I can try your broth soon. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBushdoctor
Reject from thespirit realm trying to getthome

#2041886 - 10/25/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A reaction to quorn? Dident know you could be allergick to that. Althou it makes sense you can be allergick to mushrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Tacos

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing