Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: The24HourMC]
    #12971892 - 07/29/10 03:13 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The24HourMC said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

The24HourMC said:
fuck that shit , steaks and pork forever. I would never sacrifivce my meat to eat bland tasteless plants and have to add salad dressing out the ass to make up for it or other kinds of covers just so i can feel like im doing something positive. im doing something beneficial to the planet y wiping out all those damn cows , pigs and shit before  they overrun the earth and take over instead of humans. havent you ever read Animal Farm? :meatwad:

listen punk, this isnt OTD or a forum for debate.  the guy wasnt asking for your opinion, he was asking for advice on becoming a vegetarian.  noone cares what YOU would or wouldnt do. keep your opinions to other forums or threads asking for your opinion. if you have no advice on being a vegetarian, then piss off.

Hey y dont u shut The fuck up and stop taking ur period out on me. He asked advice and The best advice in my opiniĆ³n is to not be a vegetArian. I was simple telling him how that shit would be for his taste buds and such. I suppose u feel mighty and shit telling
Me off eh? Grow up, noone else acknowledged the shit and if it bothered u that
Much u should have ignored it as well

that wasnt advice dick, that was a lopsided opinion.  he wasnt asking whether or not to become a vegetarian, he wanted advice on how to BE a vegetarian, so once again, take your useless opinion and piss off.

grow up?  you sound like a damn 15 y/o who flunked grammar and english class several years in a row.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Doctor_Dick]
    #12971910 - 07/29/10 03:16 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Doctor_Dick said:
at first, it's hard to make the switch.

the fake meat stuff is a good way to start. that way its not gonna be to much of a shock to your taste buds like 24hourmc said.

once you make the switch meat wont taste good to you any more. animal fat will taste bad and then vegetables will taste good

well i have to whole heartedly disagree with that. there were a few rare occasions where i was curious and took a small bite of steak or something....... holy shit.  i felt like a crackhead going into relapse.  it actually made it harder to continue after doing that.... for me anyway lol.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Doctor_Dick]
    #12972022 - 07/29/10 03:35 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Doctor_Dick said:
...vegetables will do taste good :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: PoC]
    #12972128 - 07/29/10 03:58 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

the only people who do not like vegetables in my experiences are people who had lazy or uninvolved parents who didnt give a damn about their nutritional habits.

--------------------

InvisibleElMeroMero
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #12987989 - 08/02/10 12:38 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I am curious as to why no meat? those of you who used to eat meat but became vegetarian for years, is there a difference in quality of life in your opinion? do you feel better than before? Does meat like red meat for example lag you down or make you feel like crap? Do you run cleaner on veggies? Or is it just to save the animals?

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Loc: Silly Cunt Valley
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: ElMeroMero]
    #12988627 - 08/02/10 02:58 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ElMeroMero said:
I am curious as to why no meat? those of you who used to eat meat but became vegetarian for years, is there a difference in quality of life in your opinion? do you feel better than before? Does meat like red meat for example lag you down or make you feel like crap? Do you run cleaner on veggies? Or is it just to save the animals?

Why no meat? Have you seriously taken a look at the meat industry lately, friend? Of course it's a health choice, but also a moral one. In the end, even if you choose to keep meat as part of your diet, vegetables are the very reason for your survival since the animals you eat are herbivorous. :shrug:

I personally don't see the use in adding a mediator between me and my nutrients. And I know some will come and speak about animal proteins but in the end, vegetarianism has been around as long, if not longer, than the carnivorous diet, hence making that point void.

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #12988738 - 08/02/10 03:35 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
the only advice i have is......  that i went full vegetarian, well plus eggs and fish on occasion for roughly 2 years.  i felt great, i liked it at first, but in the end i slowly began to crave meat(insert joke here) and eventually decided that it wasnt for me, i decided that a diet with meat in moderation was just as healthy as full vegetarian, and thats what im sticking with.

some people love it and stick with it for life, some hate it and dont last but a few weeks, it just wasnt for me. :shrug:

ok so that wasnt really advice, the only advice i can give you is just research the hell out of it before you start, it is very important you are getting a balanced diet as a vegetarian.  it is very easy if you do your research.  i managed to pack on 10lbs of lean muscle during my 2 year stint.

This is a really good point. If you are going to do full vegetarian/ raw vegan / whatever diet.. you better do it right. Research the hell out of your foods and have tons of biodiversity in your diet. It can be difficult to get everything you need out of a vegetarian diet unless you know what you are doing.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: solstice]
    #12989393 - 08/02/10 08:42 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

> Why no meat?

For me, it is no animal protein, not just meat.  As for the why, it is a heath issue.  When I started training for triathlons, I completely revamped my diet.

> is there a difference in quality of life in your opinion? do you feel better than before?

I never really felt much different as a vegetarian.  Once I cut out eggs and dairy I noticed a huge difference.  Within just a few weeks I felt cleaner, for lack of a better word.  For a month or two after that, there were some interesting changes with my body.  I got acne for the first time since I was in high school.  I believe this was my body adapting to the lack of hormones I was picking up from eggs/dairy.  (It only lasted for a week or two.)

The quality of life bit is difficult to answer.  It is much more difficult to go out and eat with friends, or to visit family, or to have dinner with others that are not vegan.  It is also amazing the amount of vegetarian food (morning star products as an example) that are meat free but have eggs/dairy in them.  At the same time, the vegan community is fairly small and close knit group.  I've made a lot of new friends since changing my diet, simply because of my new diet.

> Or is it just to save the animals?

I suppose the moral side is nice and all, but that is not my motivation.  Most of my family were farmers and I grew up hunting and fishing.  I still eat honey, which is frowned upon by the 'true' vegans because it is mean to take honey from the bees... but for me, it is a heath issue, not a moral issue, so I don't really care.  Pure honey (not the processed crap you buy in the store) is fine by me.

> If you are going to do full vegetarian/ raw vegan / whatever diet.. you better do it right.

Yep.  I've seen a lot of very unhealthy/obese vegetarians.  Spend time studying food types and how the body processes food.  It can get very complex very quickly, but the rewards of knowing what you are eating and how the body reacts is worth the effort.  If you don't understand at least the basics of nutrition, you will probably end up doing more damage than good.

One thing I noticed, if I am craving something like meat, it usually means that I missing something that meat provides.  For me, dill pickles and blackstrap molasses tend to cure the craving.  I've never figured out what is in the pickles, but blackstrap molasses is high in iron.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleElMeroMero
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Seuss]
    #12989971 - 08/02/10 12:47 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

taking honey from bees is mean :smirk:

I was asking because lately i feel like crap. My thyroid is shot and i dont drink booze or smoke so im thinking meat.
Im into weight training and love meat because of the obvious protein. I mean i love meat anyways but when you work out hard you want some freakin carnitas. I usually have a portion of meat with every meal. I think its messing me up. I have been taking days off of meat and lowering my portions in general, and i feel better. I ate a NY strip the other day and i felt like crap afterwords, though it was a big meal. Im not sure if its the fact that my body needs rest from food like fasting or what. Ive read somewhere that fasting is actually good for you and a natural process that the body needs to go through.

I'm worried that I must join you to survive? NOOOOOO!!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #12990657 - 08/02/10 03:22 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

For me that usually means cutting way back on the red meat. I go in stages where for a few weeks I'll eat a lot of meat, then I'll have to cut way down and eat mostly veggies and rice, and get most of my protein from fish, and some eggs. I don't really consider fish like a real meat.. just a good source of protein and omega 3s.

If you don't eat any meat/fish/eggs whatever at all, you need to get those complete proteins, omega 3s and 6s, and all that iron and B vitamins and whatnot from other sources. Which means combining grains and legumes and seeds, eating lots of nuts, and consuming raw leafy greens like spinach by the truckload. But there are tricks like eating superfoods loaded with certain vitamins and minerals.. like Seuss said blackstrap molasses is loaded with iron and simple sugars. Eating lots of berries and fruits loaded with antioxidants, especially blueberries, blackberries, goji berries, etc etc as well. Sweet potatoes have lots of B vitamins and complex carbs and are delicious. The key thing I think, is eating a super wide variety of foods. Stick to your staples for the basic nutrition for getting all your carbs/protein/fats etc, but eat as diverse a diet as possible.

Also honey is fucking delicious.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#12991041 - 08/02/10 04:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

solstice said:
Quote:

ElMeroMero said:

Why no meat? Have you seriously taken a look at the meat industry lately, friend? Of course it's a health choice, but also a moral one. In the end, even if you choose to keep meat as part of your diet, vegetables are the very reason for your survival since the animals you eat are herbivorous. :shrug:

I personally don't see the use in adding a mediator between me and my nutrients. And I know some will come and speak about animal proteins but in the end, vegetarianism has been around as long, if not longer, than the carnivorous diet, hence making that point void.

you can search out local meat. it can be found nearly everywhere. search the phonebook for butchers in the area and ask around.  or find someone that is selling chickens, goats or pigs for meat.  chickens are cheap, goats you can find for $40-60, and pigs vary from 75-150 depending on who you know.

for some people survival means eating insects or other things that we scowl at, and catfish survive on shit.  does that mean youre going to eat shit like the shit eating catfish?

meat isnt for everyone and no meat isnt for everyone.

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Loc: Silly Cunt Valley
    #12991485 - 08/02/10 05:46 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

solstice said:
Quote:

ElMeroMero said:

you can search out local meat. it can be found nearly everywhere. search the phonebook for butchers in the area and ask around.  or find someone that is selling chickens, goats or pigs for meat.  chickens are cheap, goats you can find for $40-60, and pigs vary from 75-150 depending on who you know.

for some people survival means eating insects or other things that we scowl at, and catfish survive on shit.  does that mean youre going to eat shit like the shit eating catfish?

meat isnt for everyone and no meat isnt for everyone.

Oh man are you talking out of your ass :facepalm: I know all of that, I'm a health freak. I was just answering the question the dude asked.:shrug: And that's also why I mentioned the fact that it's a moral choice as well.

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

InvisibleElMeroMero
Male User Gallery

#12992105 - 08/02/10 07:47 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yes thats my plan, i will take a break from red meat. I used to be a health freak too but somewhere i fell off. gets annoying counting garbs and calories but im starting up again. The whole local meat plan would be more expensive im guessing or a trip far out to the boonies so i would have to invest in a deep freezer and stock up to make it worth the trips. this health thing is difficult. Its like we still have to hunt for decent food. Or be subject to chemical infested crap at the stores. Thanks for the tips.

Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
    #12992313 - 08/02/10 08:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ElMeroMero said:
Yes thats my plan, i will take a break from red meat. I used to be a health freak too but somewhere i fell off. gets annoying counting garbs and calories but im starting up again. The whole local meat plan would be more expensive im guessing or a trip far out to the boonies so i would have to invest in a deep freezer and stock up to make it worth the trips. this health thing is difficult. Its like we still have to hunt for decent food. Or be subject to chemical infested crap at the stores. Thanks for the tips.

You shouldn't need to count carbs and calories to be healthy. Just use common sense about what's good for you - avoid highly processed food, sleep well, drink lots of water .etc

--------------------

| Pranayama | Psytraveller | Home of poi

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing