Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefruityBlue
Stranger
shroom rools, lesson no 1
    #2010785 - 10/15/03 04:34 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

after just seeing a post "I kill thousands of shrooms each year" I feel as if even here this poetic lesson would not go amiss.

this is one i wrote recently

Respect the spore,
And respect some more,
Respect the spore.

Respect the fruit,
Oh how cute,
But Respect the fruit.

Respect the stem,
A nice neat trim,
Respect the stem.

Respect the root,
Without there will be no fruit,
So Respect the root.

Respect the spore,
That comes from the fruit,
That comes from the stem,
That comes from the root,
Respect again,
To the sacred gem.

Respect the spore,
Without spore, no more,
And the fruit,
So juicy - Respect that!
And the stem,
Cut nicely to leave the root,
And that is the sound of the underground
And Respect,
Respect due.

---------

Watch your feet, everything is precious,
Do not take too much of what you do not know,
Always leave some, for nature, the next generation and our future.

The root is sacred -

peace out

fruityBlue

http://www.fruityblue.net

--------------------
leave some for papa noel, he is old and needs his wisdom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescoobydoo
self employed orunemployed
Loc: pac nw
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: fruityBlue]
    #2010953 - 10/15/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Cool.

--------------------
Next time you go on a trip, I recommend listening to Her Satanic Majestys Request by the Rolling Stones. You'll be glad you did.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2011104 - 10/15/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome.  :smile: Its funny to think that we enjoy mushrooms so much, yet, we kill them at the same time when we pick them. :frown:

OfflinefruityBlue
Stranger
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: angryshroom]
    #2011446 - 10/15/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

u don't have to kill them when u pick them, in fact u shouldn't -

if u kill them then how can they come back again - how can they reproduce -

when picking shrooms

1. - tap the head - allow spores to fall - it is also good if you have a basket or a woven bag to carry them, this allows spores to fall to the ground as you walk!

2. - nip the stem with your fingernails when picking, if u have the root in your hand then you have done it wrong - the root is the plant - the head is only a fruit - the shroom can loose that.

3. - always leave some shrooms - always - always - it is essential -
without shrooms - how can they regenerate -

4. - always think - always learn - respect the shroom - respect each and every one -

please!!!!!!

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2011621 - 10/15/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Picking mushrooms (even when the entire stem is taken) has not been shown to cause any harm to the organism. There is even some suspicion among some mycologists that leaving a bit of stem behind can cause harm to the fungus, by providing an injured, open area that is susceptible to infection and disease. Incidentally, the reasearch done so far gives this theory no more support than the theory that taking the entire stem causes harm.

Mushrooms are fruiting bodies, just as are apples. If you pick every apple from a tree (and get the stems also), you don't harm the tree. If you picked every apple from every tree and did it for many years, the population of apple trees would diminish and die out eventually.

The "body" of the fungus is the mycelium. It looks a lot like bread mold. They can be very large. As long as you don't destroy whatever the mycelium is growing in the fungus whould be fine. Remember, all of the mushrooms will rot and disappear within a fairly short time, whether you pick them or not.

The greatest danger to mushrooms (and most everything) is habitat destruction. If you do things that damage the habitat those mushrooms are growing in, you've made an area unsuitable for future growth of those mushrooms. If you find a stump with mushrooms growing from it and pick all the mushrooms, more mushrooms will grow later, because the mycelium is still in the stump. If you destroy the stump (say, by kicking it to pieces), you have destroyed the fungus growing in that stump, and there will not be any more mushrooms. If the process of picking or looking for the mushrooms may have caused some damage to the habitat, you should certainly work to repair any damage you have caused. And you should avoid ever doing things to the habitat that are irreversible (like destroying the stump).

Have you every tried to pick *every* mushroom of a type in an area? Short of having a large group of people going minutely over the area in an organized grid pattern, you'er not going to do it. I certainly advocate leaving any mushrooms which are very immature or over mature (rotting). If there are any mature mushrooms, then there have already been uncountable numbers of spores released. Keep in mind that to pick *every* mushroom would also require taking your team of people through the area over and over during the entire fruiting period for that mushroom, which is typically weeks. Mushrooms spread their spore much more efficiently than apples do. Even if you managed to pick every single mushroom, you still probably wouldn't have eliminated the spreading of spores.

I guess I'm saying that an appreciation of ecology and the environment is a good thing for mushroom hunters (if you want to find mushrooms you'd better learn some ecology). If we want mushrooms to continue, we need to take measures to ensure that their habitats continue.

If you want to tap the caps on the mushrooms you find, go for it. It's not causing any harm. I'd be surprised if it did any measurable good.

As for leaving the stem bases behind while harvesting - it's an interesting theory, but there is no objective evidence to back it up. And there is some research evidence that it makes no difference at all.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2011983 - 10/15/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Actually tapping the cap does not do anything but crawiling around on your hands and knees does damage to the mycellium underground causing less fruings where you have been kneeling or causing mutates to pop up from your weight on the mycelium under the grass as in picking blue ringers and P. fimetaria and baeos off of lawns or P. cyans, baeos and stuntzii's in woodchip mulch, even stepping on the muclh can cause hard to the mycelium.

For those of you who grow shrooms at home, use your fist one day in a certain part of your cake which is getting ready to fruit or do it after picking a crop and then see what might grow after you have pressed a certain amount of weight onto your cake into a certain area. It will cause growth damage and less shrooms or no shrooms at all in the area where you have press down firmly on. So you do do damage when walking around in the grass and lawns and mulched areas.
But again, once the caps open the primary spores fall, are blown etc. Many of the spores in man made envionmental habitats of the lawn shrooms come from liquid fertilizers and the manure used in top soil in fresh sod.

As for leaving smaller shrooms, some shrooms when they appear are the total size of their gropwth as in blue ringers. They come up all day long and all night. What is there int he morning is the patc h. Many little shrooms gorw o no bigger. Cyans do grow bigger but people have raped many of my private patches, nto so much in public areas either. They take all the smaller ones so no one gets any.

But those little fuckers of Cyans are soooo potent compared to their bigger ones by weight.

have a shroomy day,
mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2011986 - 10/15/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

btw, niuce poem.

mj

OfflineYourHighness
ruling since1991

Loc: TX
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2012840 - 10/15/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I like what I am reading here. We need to respect the delicate environment that allows the expansion of our consciousness.

I know you guys are talking about the fungi of the Pacific Northwest, but I live in Texas, where Ps. cubensis are abundant.

Unfortunately, the uneducated hicks down here have the BAD habit of kicking the cowpies while hunting for cubies. I don't know why they do this --it's not like you're going to find mushrooms growing UNDER the dungpile, because the mature fruits grow vertically. My best guess is that maybe it is a way to avoid a snakebite. But still, anyone who kicks a mushroom-producing dungpile is destroying the delicate micro-habitat that produced the fruits.

Go back and re-read what ToxicMan wrote.

Anyone who kicks a cow pattie while hunting for mushrooms is a MORON ! Don't do it !!!

Just had to vent,

YourHighness

OfflinefruityBlue
Stranger
Re: shroom rools, lesson no 1 [Re: YourHighness]
    #2022317 - 10/19/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for your comments back! -

as to my points, leave some root, tap the fruit - I will come back to you on that one - I am doing some research - possibly you are right but Im best learning for myself.

Nor am i talking only about 1 type of shroom here, there are many shrooms that are becoming rarer and rarer - and some feilds that will sprout 1 year, will be overpicked and be very poor the year after!

we should learn to spread and to farm rather that hunt - perhaps

think about it

peace n love

fruityBlue

http://www.fruityblue.net

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2022797 - 10/19/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

some feilds that will sprout 1 year, will be overpicked and be very poor the year after!

I've been hunting mushrooms for over 25 years, and whether the field was overpicked or not doesn't seem to affect how much grows the next year.

Alexander Smith (one of the greatest mycologists of the 20th century) made statements along the lines of this is the 51st unusual mushroom season after 50 unusual mushroom seasons.

The point being that every year is unique.

This year I (and a couple other people I know) picked pounds of a tooth fungus which is rare enough that it had (as far as we can tell) never been seen in North America before (Sarcodon leucopus), each from different locations.

Also, mushrooms which are normally common (most years) were actually somewhat scarce this year. For example, in late summer here Cortinarius is usually one of the dominant genera of our local forests. This year they were available, but in much lower numbers than usual. Tricholomas were unusually abundant this year, both in quantity and variety. There were more kinds of Inocybes out this year than I have ever seen - I'm not sure if it's because there were actually more of them or if it's because I'm better at seeing them now than I used to be.

Expect *every* year to be different than any you have experienced.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck