Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
Stress Fracture?
    #2002906 - 10/12/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry this is kind of a dumb thing to post on here, but there are a lot of people on this board filled with all sorts of random knowledge, so I thought there might be someone who could help me out.
My absolute favorite thing to do is run, but unfortunately that led to a little bit of overuse, and eventually a stress fracture in the upper part of my shin. I've been resting it for nearly 4 months now, and it feels like it has made very minimal progress, if any at all. The doctor originally told me that it should be healed in a month to 6 weeks. I have gotten three different opinions from doctors, none of who can figure out why it isn't healing. This is really just driving me crazy, being unable to do any physical activity. My whole life I have always been on the go playing some type of sport and this has really taken away from my life. If anyone has any experience with this type of injury or even just has some a random idea, please let me know. It'd be much appreciated.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Stress Fracture? [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #2003022 - 10/12/03 07:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Are you getting enough calcium in your diet?

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
Re: Stress Fracture? [Re: pattern]
    #2003032 - 10/12/03 07:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that I am getting more than enough calcium. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a little bit more though. I'll go get a glass right now actually. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2004296 - 10/13/03 02:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/foot_and_ankle/Stress_Fracture_of_Leg_and_Foot.html

excerpt:
"A highly competitive athlete may find it difficult to comply with the period of immobilization necessary to bring about complete healing of a stress fracture. Sometimes an orthopedic surgeon will recommend surgical treatment in these cases."

From what I understand, if you get a stress fracture and keep stressing the leg out, it won't be able to heal

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Stress Fracture? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2005091 - 10/13/03 01:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

definately possible, i think i have one in my left forearm from weightlifting because if i lift too much or position certain ways while lifting i get a stabbing knife pain right on the bone.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineBigLankyBeotch
Stranger
    #3209321 - 10/03/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I've had a stress fracture in my upper shin so i know what its like. I am a high school cross country and i run 60-70 miles a week. When i got my stress fracture, they put me on crutches since they couldn't cast it. They put me in physical therapy and it took me a long time to heal, mainly because it was the worst stress fracture they had ever seen. My advice to you is do NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY with it, and get into some physical therapy.

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: Stress Fracture? [Re: BigLankyBeotch]
    #3209448 - 10/03/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hmm i've never had this sort of thing happend to me, but i really hope it gets better for you..
all i can say is keep taking your vitimins, and drink lots of milk!

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3213026 - 10/04/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I remember when I played football in high school...running all day on a hard ground caused some poeple to get "shin splints" i believe the term was.  Anyway, supposedly it was a stress type thing where the muscle would pull away from the bone, causing pain...the trainer would tape up your shins real good, keep everything together....im sure thats a temporary solution...but if its anything like that you'll be fine :smile:

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3214109 - 10/04/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

These can last for years
I was a serious runner in my years in the service
During my last year in the Army I developed Stress fracturing in both of my shins.
Very painful. The doctors said Blah Blah..... But one doctor told me the truth. This type of injury can last for years. ir was more than a year before I even tried to even think about running agian. no way to painful. Even walking was a bitch for close to 3 years.

It was 9 years before I tried to run serious  again. They started to hurt again only after a few runs.
I don't run anymore :sad:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinenamaste
RuNnINg OwL
 User Gallery

Loc: Fiddler's Green
    #3222213 - 10/06/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

First you need to determine whether it's a stress fracture or shin splints.  Stress fractures are a horizontal pain through shin while shin splints are a noticible verticle pain.  I had been running 30 miles a week for the last four years until this April.  I developed shin splints in one day from running on a track.  I've been doing stretches, kneel down w/ feet straight behind you, no shoes and lean back.  And one similar to stretching calf but instead of leaning forward into doorframe, lean backwards.  I got orthapedics, some improvement.  I took MSM chrondroitin supplements.  And then I tried the poultice, castor oil, comfrey leaf, and various herbs mixed together and soaked in strips of cotton, wrapped tightly around legs, then wrap with saran wrap, and apply heating pad.  Those helped immensly.  I also enjoy the ice bath, salt bath and message.  Google search Cho-pat, they specialize in athletic injuries and treatment devices.  I got these compression sleeves from them.  The sleeves are meant to reduce fluid build up and to improve circulation.  I have no insurance and therefore can not see a doctor, but there are people who specialize in these injuries.  Sports doctors and physical therapists, some questions who need to ask are do you run, has this happened to you before etc.  Let me know if any of this helps as i have quite the library of info here.  In my personal case, right and left leg shin splints, i'm going on seven months w/o full recovery due to extreme physical activity at work. I'm now researching pranic healing. Breathwork and visualization.  I also tried some Wiccan cures, but you'll have to PM me for those.  Best Wishes  :sun:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being