Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroom_muncher
ex-dope fiend

Loc: The great white north
Few questions from a newb
    #1990938 - 10/08/03 08:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Okay this is gonna be my first attempt at growing shrooms and I have a couple questions. Is vermiculite neccessary? Can I use white rice instead of brown? Can I use just plain rice for the entire substrate? How long are the spores good for after you pick them up from the store? I don't have a pressure cooker so I'm gonna just use a big pot to steralize the jars, is there anything I should know about water temperatures or anything? Any extra information would useful too. I don't wanna fuck this up!

--------------------
peace sells but whos buyin?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Re: Few questions from a newb [Re: shroom_muncher]
    #1990962 - 10/08/03 08:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

1. Following the Tek's gives you the best chance of success, only a person with experience should change them.

2. Vermiculite helps the substrate to hold moisture. You must have the right ratio of food to moister for mycelium to grow.

3. White rice is bleached and has less nutrients than brown. Yielding less food for mycelium, i wouldn't want to try white. If you can't find brown, use wheat flour, wheat flour can be found in any Super Market.(I highly recommend looking from BRF)

4. Spores are viable for about 1 1/2, from what I hear, even longer if they are stored in a cool place.

5. When boiling don't boil at furious boil, i messed up jars because moister enterd the jars because of this. Just a simmer for 1 - 2 hours. The longer the less chance of contamination.

6. sterilization is key.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Offlineone800chiapet
Plant-HumanRelationshipsover the phone
Re: Few questions from a newb [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #1990970 - 10/08/03 08:23 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

And if you can't find BRF, just buy a huge sack of organic long-grain brown rice and grind it up yourself. A blender or coffee grinder works well to make it into flour.

Offlineshroom_muncher
ex-dope fiend

Loc: The great white north
Re: Few questions from a newb [Re: one800chiapet]
    #1991004 - 10/08/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. Oh yah, also how much does Vermiculite cost? And where do you get it? Gardening stores? You also said the spores last for 1 1/2, is it 1 1/2 days or weeks?

--------------------
peace sells but whos buyin?

Edited by shroom_muncher (10/08/03 08:38 PM)

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
    #1991025 - 10/08/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

No spores can last YEARS!!!!! If they are properly stored. I keep mine in the syringes and in the frig. Also Vermiculite is CHEAP I got a small bag for like $2.40 US, and I was able to do 12 + jars and have enough left over for casing. And yes Garden Stores have them, I couldn't find it at Kmart or Home Depot where I live, but at a garden store.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Invisiblestarseed
professional lurker

#1991031 - 10/08/03 08:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

1.5 years or more

--------------------
:poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation