Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHefex78
Stranger
*DELETED*
    #1981438 - 10/05/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted. Reason for deletion: Confidential.

Edited by Wa7sum (10/03/07 01:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: Opinions [Re: Hefex78]
    #1981446 - 10/05/03 03:40 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

u might enjoy reading "Total Freedom" -Krishnamurti :smile:
to paraphrase he would agree in the sense that Freedom
lies in an empty mind which is non-judgmentally aware...

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#1981456 - 10/05/03 03:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't agree. If we don't have any opinions at all than we're spending our entire lives fence sitting, maybe it's easier, but it's not freedom. I believe that freedom comes primarily from oneself, liberating ones own mind in order to be able to find "truth" where one really sees it, not where one is conditioned to. After finding inner freedom the struggle then moves to moulding one's life to support and demonstrate that freedom.

I think that stripping ourselves of preconceptions and opinions is a stage in finding inner freedom, but it isn't freedom itself. It's part of the process that allows us to remove conditioning and discover our own realities. It doesn't have to happen all at once either, we can take one or several preconceptions at a time,or we can completely strip ourselves of conditioned identity, allowing ourselves to be nothing (emptiness) for some time, and only allowing ourselves to be refilled by what is natural to us. Most often when people lose identity they rush to be filled by whatever can take away the discomfort, but that's the easy way, not the true or free way.

Of course there has to be a level of nonjudgement involved. Following ones own truth is great, but it must be recognized that others are doing or trying to do the same. Ones own truths apply to the individual, not the rest of the world. Although I'd argue that there are some basics we need to agree on (like, its not ok to cross each others lines and repress other living beings.)

Just a few ideas or opinions there:) agree or disagree as you chose.

~Jenn

InvisibleHefex78
Stranger
*DELETED* [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #1981582 - 10/05/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted. Reason for deletion: Confidential.

Edited by Wa7sum (10/03/07 01:58 PM)

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#1981669 - 10/05/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think that it's the nature of humans to take all thier experiences and information and attempt to form some cohesive worldview from them. I also think that at our very essense we all contain some basic and simple motivations or "truths." But I think the nature of these fundamental "truths" isn't necessarily the same as an opinion. For me the word opinion brings to mind biases centring in the ego, and any fundamental "truth" is not from the ego, perhaps only coloured by it. Maybe then the best course of action is to stop demanding that our individual colouration of the basic "truths" is the best or most right way of percieving them.

As for these fundamental "truths", I doubt they can even be formed into words. They are more like impulses, feelings, understandings. It's once we form words to describe them that we are creating opinions on the nature of such impulses. There's nothing wrong with opinions, symbols and imperfect explanations as long as we realize that they're just our mode of understanding and aren't necessarily applicable to every other (or any other) person.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Opinions [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #1983019 - 10/06/03 04:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

an odd thought, but what if total freedom involves having the ability to choose what consciousness that you want to be in.  if you want to  be non-judgmental, great. or if you want to judge because the situation calls for it, do it.  being flexible is the key, i think. 

I think that freedom involves a whole lot more than just pure thoughts.  sure thoughts are a big portion of it, but freedom also involves freedom to act.  a lot of people don't go for what they really want to do.  to do what really makes them happy.  I think freedom really involves being happy, to accept everything as it is and then appreciate it because it is there for you to enjoy. or something like that :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Opinions [Re: kaiowas]
    #1983152 - 10/06/03 05:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Freedom is a completely blank canvas, it is up to us to deicide what to paint and what colours and paints to paint with. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: