Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Death Caps
    #1967478 - 09/30/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Amongst other species :wink:, I found 10 false death caps & 12 death caps today.  I know they are "false" death caps from experience but undecided on the edible side of them.  Certain books say they are edible & delicious and others say to avoid (probably to avoid being sued incase of poisoning/death).

Obviously I wouldn't even contemplate eating them but was wondering wether anybody had any experience or information on them being edible or not? 

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Death Caps [Re: Xenophobic]
    #1967593 - 09/30/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There are certainly edible Amanitas.

Exactly which species are you calling "false death caps"?

The edible Amanitas I've found have fallen into two groups. Amanita caesarea (it's US verisons, anyway) can be found here in Colorado, but they are rare. Also, many of the Amanitas without rings on the stem are edible.

In spite of all that, I still haven't eaten any of them. I'm working up the courage to try some. Part of the problem is getting my wife to not freak out about it. She knows enough mushroom identification and toxicology to not be very excited about me trying an Amanita. Even after I've done the micro work on it.

I don't think the book's authors or publishers are at much risk for mentioning that a mushroom (even an Amanita) is edible. They all have disclaimers at the front of the book, and those hold up prety well at trial.

One major issue is that the Amanitas of North America are apparently not all that well studied yet. Rod Tulloss (and Janet Lindgren) are studying them, but I have no idea when (if ever) they will publish some results (hopefully a monograph). From what he has published, it's clear that many species which had been given names from extremely similar European species are probably not actually the same species. Many of the names we use (Amanita pantherina is a great example) are almost certainly incorrectly being applied. Many of the species here have not been studied (in a useable way) for edibility. Since we know that several species are deadly, that research is quite a bit more difficult to do. Who wants to risk death or chronic organ disfunction to find out if a mushroom will make a nice meal?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Death Caps [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1967949 - 09/30/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hi ToxicMan,

First of all, thanks for the informative reply.  I was refering to "Amanita Citrina" (False Death Cap) whereas the Death Cap is "Amanita Phalloides" as I'm sure you're well aware.

I'm not sure if the U.S.A has it classified under the same category but I would imagine so.  If not:

Cap: Almost Identical to Amanita Phalloides (Slight changes in colour)
Stem: Identical to Amanita Phalloides
Spores: Sub-spheri-cal, Amyloid.
Gills: White, Adnexed, and crowded.
Measurements: Haven't a clue without consulting my Encyclopedia.

I relate to you building up the courage to attempt eating any Amanita, same here  (some are O.K) as that is what killed that cat.  I think I'll stick to Calocybe, Fistulina & Pleurotus's for the time being and the for-seeable future  :wink: 

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1970925 - 10/01/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Im not sure about Amanita citrina being edible, i always thought it was toxic. according to fungi of poland it contain bufotenine, which is toxic, but gets decomposed in cooking.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Death Caps [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1973131 - 10/02/03 02:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

what does the base look like,, I think it is supposed to be bulbous, white and cottony,, no cup.. but I may be wrong,, off the top of my head...

I found alot of what i believe to be Amanita citrina, on a hike yesterday, but for some reason wasn't compelled to take even a single photo.. it was weird...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Death Caps [Re: nofind_um]
    #1977183 - 10/03/03 05:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Death Caps [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1978773 - 10/04/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Base of Death Cap (Amanita Phalloides)

Base of False Death Cap (Amanita Citrina)

They vary though to the point of being identical.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1979156 - 10/04/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I can see the similarities. Alan Bessette mentions that A. citrina is frequently misidentified as A. phalloides.

In those photos, the volva of A. phalloides is clearly saccate and A. citrina is marginate. However, I don't doubt that specimens which are less obvious occur.

A. citrina shouldn't be eaten in any event. Bessette lists it as extremely suspect. A mushroom as similar to A. phalloides as that is one that is asking for a tragic mistake to be made.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Death Caps [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1979436 - 10/04/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yea there are obvious differences usually in the volva like toxicman said etc.

as A. citrina is very common in poland, all polish mushroom books i have encountered list it as "lightly toxic." dont eat that shit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract