Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAldousHuxley
journeyman
Re: oven bags??????
    #19696 - 06/04/00 02:57 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

if you havent already, read hip's semi-bulk tek in the grow/find section here at the shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: oven bags?????? [Re: AldousHuxley]
    #19698 - 06/04/00 04:25 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

i read the hip tek, but my question is, if this tek is wonderful, why do people still stick to canning jars, etc... What are the downsides to this?

L

------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #19699 - 06/04/00 05:28 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

problem is most commercial 'oven bags' leak.
get better results with FP's autoclavable spawn bags.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Anonymous

#19700 - 06/04/00 05:44 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

but where my friend lives, they dont have 1/2 pint canning jars (they use metric system, they don't even know what a pint is), and all he can find is regular cook brand oven bags...

------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #19701 - 06/04/00 05:50 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Oven bags suck, you will waste your money if you try. Sorry.
MHOOC

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#19702 - 06/04/00 06:03 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

well, if it's a waste of money, shouldn't somebody get responsible and remove it from grow/find or add a disclaimer like "warning, this tek sucks!"? I paid $20 for my kit, and the hassle over at the customs was unbearable (they told me that the importation of fungi spores was under the control of department of agriculture, and i would have to get a permit from them).

Why keep up something unfeasible and misinform the newbies (like me) into failure???

peace
L

------------------

OfflineKrupa
veteran
    #19703 - 06/04/00 06:19 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

tell you friend to look for 250ml jars. : )
125ml works as well. faster, but half as much subtrate too. You'll find them, I promise.

-Good day, all.

Anonymous

#19704 - 06/05/00 09:07 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Use the oven bags for sterilising casing soil but i wouldn't use them to grow mycelium in. First they're not that sturdy and damage quite easily and second they don't have a filter patch so you have to make some sort of a cotton plug to allow gas exchange.
Sterile inoculation of bags also really requires a flow cabinet (which i guess you don't have).........my advice: use jars for your mycelium, and use oven bags for casing soil.

------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

Anonymous

#19705 - 06/05/00 12:34 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

so my friend has to put the substrate in an oven bag, and sterilize, then put the sterilized substrate into also sterilized 250ml canning jars, is that right???

any chance of contamination, while transferring the substrate from the bag to the can? Or should my friend just stick to the jars filled with substrate sterilized in a pressure cooker.

one more thing, his cooker does not have a gauge that reads the pressure in it. So will it be ok to just stick 'em in and cook the hell outta them for 45 minutes? Won't that kill the nutrients with the contaminates?????

------------------

Anonymous

#19706 - 06/05/00 01:27 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Nope..why would you want to double-sterilise.

you use Jars for your substrate (that's the stuff the mycelium grows on)

you use oven bags to sterilise your casing soil in (that's the stuff you put on your substrate once it's colonised)

it's simple......

Just sterilise your jars for about one hour. In a standard pressure cooker the temperature will be ok. (you know how to operate a pressure cooker right?)

good luck.

------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

OfflineKrupa
veteran
    #19707 - 06/05/00 02:09 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Oops. I guess I should have been more clear. I meant instead of using oven bags, your friend could try to find 250ml canning jars. They're the metric equiv to half-pints. Sorry about that! Good luck!

-Good day, all!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #19708 - 06/05/00 03:03 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

There is so much outdated and just plain incorrect information in the F&G section here that it is scarry. At the same time, new advances never get added for some reason. I think that the people running this site just don't care as much about cultivation as they do the idea of cultivation. No offense intended to anyone responsible, but it seems like for them this is a social club rather than an information source. I mean read the mission statement. Then read F&G section and try everything in there. A good bit of it is useless mis-information which is what this site is supposedly against.
It's not really their fault though, I just don't think they grow and if they do, it's pretty simple so they never got to test many of the teks in there.
So, do what you did. Before you try anything, run it by the people in the forums. Many knowledgable people will help you sort things out.
(with the exception of PF tek and MMGG, those are simple, correct and are standards of beginning cultivation)

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#19709 - 06/06/00 07:06 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

ok, so this is what my friend did:

He took three 250 ml jars from Praktiker hardware store, filled them up with substrate, covered the top with a 3 cm verm layer, and screwed the lids which were already pinholed on 4 sides and the center (he didn't screw them too tight, just in case) and stuck'em in the pressure cooker, and sterilized them (hopefully) for one full hour.

Wearing surgical gloves he took 'em out when they were quite cool, and after burning the needle of the syringe, he squirted some of the solution out, and gently pushed the needle into the jar through pinhole, applied the solution to all three jars...

He then put the jars under the kitchen sink, where it's warm and dark. the temperature reads 29 degrees C. i guess my friend will have no problems if everything goes right. And he also wishes to thank everybody for posting replies and helping him get through his debut attempt...

peace
L

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract