Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewikedanjel
Cultivator
Female
Loc: in the mountains
Oven bag in Oven?!?!?!?!?!
    #729785 - 07/07/02 05:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

This will be my first attempt at growing mushrooms. I have researched everything and anything in about the past year. And this is the dilema that I am currently faced with.

When looking in all the diffrent teks one that appealed to me the most is Hips Bulk tek (oven bag in Oven) Im going to paste it here so If you want to see it you dont have to be going from page to page.

First, let me say that I'm a big fan of the PF Amazonian 'classic' strain (still my #1!) and a firm disciple of the PF Tek. PF himself has my utmost respect and all my little 'innovations' are merely elaborations upon his ideas.

In my mind, the biggest drawback to the tek is the damn 1/2 pint jars... they cost $$, can be hard to find, and must be washed after use, quite a chore if more than just a dozen or so are involved.

So let's talk about oven bags. As in Reynolds-brand oven bags, used for roasting turkeys, chicken, etc. whole. They come in various sizes - small is 10" by 16", rated to hold 4 pounds weight and oven-safe at up to 400? F.

They are also available much larger, as in the 'turkey' size, are cheap (a few bucks, <$5 for a box of five 'small') and available year round in any decent grocery store.

They make dandy 'jars' for PF-style substrate in bulk amounts. Just mix up enough rice/verm. for X # of jars, (see note at bottom for a few ideas on this part) spoon into the bag, tie the bag closed, bake at 250? F for 45 min. Allow to cool in the oven until safe to touch. Stick the now cooled oven bag inside another, larger bag, ziplock and let cool to room temp. When cool, one can inject spores/innoculant right through the plastic (seal hole with tape). Once white growth becomes visible in a few days, one can speed up colonization by shaking the bag, and mixing the patches into uncolonized areas. Once fairly well along, (in a sterile environ, such as in front of oven door ala the Captain's Oven Technique) the bag can be opened and a filtered air tube inserted to enhance growth. Instead of spores, one can use mycellial solutions, spent cakes (remove outer surface & use clean core), etc.

Note: one can fit rather large amounts into these bags but contamination losses increase proportionately. Try it with enough for 6 jars 1st & see what you think.

A few pointers:

Double bag the substrate - i.e. fill a regular size oven bag with the substrate, seal that by twisting and the tie included in the box (heat-resistant, non-metallic for microwave fans), then place that inside yet another, larger oven bag and seal it likewise.
Squeeze most of the air out of the inner bag so steam has room to expand and leave some air in the outer large bag, so as the inner bag cools, any air sucked in is also sterile.
Once "baked" for 45 minutes, pop the entire thing in yet a larger third ziplock storage bag, the kind that can handle hot foods. Then into the fridge to cool.
Use an electric mixer on low to mix up 4 - 6 jars worth of substrate in a few seconds in a large bowl.
When filling the oven bags, fold back the rim several inches, so no foodstuff gets on the bag near the neck/seal.
When innoculating, don't let the needle touch the substrate, just raise the plastic above the 'cake' an inch or so & squirt spores everywhere, about 3 cc will do plenty. (About 3 dozen 'jars' worth with 1 syringe!!)
After innoculation, throw several into a black plastic trashbag to keep out the light & help prevent contams.

Now I have heard of one big problem that the lack of humidity will dry everything out. A few months ago my stove broke down and I havent yet replaced it so I only have a oven and a microwave. I was thinking maybe I could put the bag into water, not submersed but above or maybe half way in water. What do I do about this? Does anyone know any other probelms?

has anyone tried this method that can tell me how it went?

Im thinking mayeb buying an electrical stove that i can plug in, so then I can place the bag in the PC with a towel around it so it doesnt melt touching the sides, is this a good idea? Well I hope to get some response. Thanks for listening.

--------------------
To all you SoCal MMJ Patients, check out our collectives websites for access to awesome genetics and so much more... :smile:
http://cannanetics.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven bag in Oven?!?!?!?!?! [Re: wikedanjel]
    #730572 - 07/08/02 04:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

do a search. oven bags leak. even hip admitted to that. Some work, many won't...

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates